Bug Report: Missing Cursor

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Furrymessiah
Space Krill

Bug Report: Missing Cursor

#1 Post by Furrymessiah »

Bug Name: Mouse cursor missing when game launches

Summary: When the game opens, the mouse cursor is invisible, but can still be used to click on menu buttons. Additionally, the mouse cursor becomes visible in certain situations but disappears again.

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, V 6.1.7601 with SP1
Processor: Intel Core 2nd Gen i5-2500 @ 3.30GHz
Physical Memory: 8 GB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000
GPU Driver Version: 9.17.10.4229
Screen Size: 1440x900
Game Build: FreeOrion_v0.4.7-RC1_2017-04-13.3efa627

Description:
When opening the game, both in windowed mode or fullscreen mode, the mouse cursor is completely invisible. Moving it outside of the window makes it reappear and behave normally. The cursor, though invisible, can still be used to click on the main menu buttons.
Clicking the Single Player, Multi Player, Load Game, and About buttons does not reveal the cursor.
Clicking the Quick Start button reveals the cursor while the match is loading, but disappears once the match starts.
Clicking the Options button, the mouse cursor is remains invisible until you click the Audio, UI, Galaxy Map, Objects List, Colors, and Keyboard Shortcuts tabs, at which point the cursor becomes visible. However, clicking the Autosave, Directories, and Other tabs makes the cursor disappear once again.
Clicking the Pedia and Credits buttons reveal the cursor.
Closing any submenus makes the cursor disappear.

Steps to reproduce:
1: Launch the game

Expected result:
Visible mouse cursor

Actual result:
See description

Repeatable?:
Yes

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/oklds

Logs:
freeorion.log
(32.42 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
freeoriond.log
(215.21 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

Notes:
When the Quick Match button was pressed and the match began, I did experience the graphics flickering issues as detailed in Issue #676, which leads me to believe it is the same bug.

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: Bug Report: Missing Cursor

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

If this were the Issue tracker I would close this report as duplicate of the issue you mentioned. As already mentioned in that issue noone of the developers has the hardware, driver, os combination to replicate the issue so far and no one else stepped up to test a possible, based on pure guesswork, fix (also referenced in said bug) or dive deeper into the issue to provide a bugfix themself. Unless someone is willing to bisect this bug together with a developer this won't be fixed.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Furrymessiah, are you using Intel graphics (as do the posters for the linked issue; that's not my case, I have my Intel's disabled and using a PCIx NVIDIA card because of the problems with Intel drivers and Linux)?

Edit: ouch, dumb question, it's clearly stated in the report.
Last edited by Oberlus on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by Ouaz »

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000
Here is the guilty.

I run FO on a laptop with switchable graphics cards: Intel HD Graphics 3000 and ATI Radeon HD 7670M.

When set to the Intel, I have the same flickering/disappearing mouse cursor or/and icons, panels, text, etc.

No problem when I switch to the Radeon.

Geoff submitted a PR which could possibly fix the problem : https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/1500
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Furrymessiah
Space Krill

#5 Post by Furrymessiah »

adrian_broher wrote:If this were the Issue tracker I would close this report as duplicate of the issue you mentioned. As already mentioned in that issue noone of the developers has the hardware, driver, os combination to replicate the issue so far and no one else stepped up to test a possible, based on pure guesswork, fix (also referenced in said bug) or dive deeper into the issue to provide a bugfix themself. Unless someone is willing to bisect this bug together with a developer this won't be fixed.
I am aware of this, which is why I referenced it in the notes. Still, I took the time to flesh out my bug report in a way that others have not seemed to do thus far, in the hopes it would assist in diagnosing the specific problem.

Oberlus wrote:Furrymessiah, are you using Intel graphics?
Yes, as unfortunately my system doesn't have a discrete GPU and I don't have the financial wherewithal to purchase one.

Geoff submitted a PR which could possibly fix the problem: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/1500
I'm glad to hear that there is a PR for this issue, but if Adrian's post above is correct, they're going to have difficulty replicating/removing the issue.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Yeah, I first discovered it, we closed some of the causes so it got a bit better, then that laptop died completely and it doesn't happen on either my Linux desktop or my Win10 laptop which is frustrating, and given anyone with it is by definition using a lower spec machine (that should still be able to run it fine) compiling is less of an option let alone git bisecting &c.

I suspect what we need is a Windows dev to compile the PR branch and post the binaries to allow an affected person to test but even that's not foolproof.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

Has this been seen on Win 7 before? I had understood it to be a Win 10 + integrated graphics combination.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#8 Post by defaultuser »

adrian_broher wrote:If this were the Issue tracker I would close this report as duplicate of the issue you mentioned. As already mentioned in that issue noone of the developers has the hardware, driver, os combination to replicate the issue so far and no one else stepped up to test a possible, based on pure guesswork, fix (also referenced in said bug) or dive deeper into the issue to provide a bugfix themself. Unless someone is willing to bisect this bug together with a developer this won't be fixed.
I can produce the problem but I'm not set up to do any debugging at this time. I can say that 4.7 RC1 didn't accidentally fix it or anything.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

defaultuser wrote:Has this been seen on Win 7 before? I had understood it to be a Win 10 + integrated graphics combination.
I had a very similar issue on Win7, if it wasn't the same issue it was similar enough that the symptoms were as described.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#10 Post by defaultuser »

Ah, ok. After I got this "new" computer, I put the old Win 7 hard drive in it and booted from that at one point. Unfortunately FreeOrion 4.6 just crashes right at the start. I don't think there was any real error indication and the logs were empty.