0.4.7 preparations

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: 0.4.7 preparations

#46 Post by Dilvish »

Ack, in following up on that trooper issue it looks like I am also now seeing a third issue that had also been reported in that thread, of the AI building half-strength troopers; I had initially just chalked that up to the AI not having better options available, but I am seeing the same thing happening now in a case where the AI clearly has better options (including Ugmors). I don't immediately see the cause, and it is pretty late night my time, I think I'll need to ask for some more time to get this in for RC2-- perhaps half a day to a day. I will open an issue.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#47 Post by Vezzra »

To give enough time to address the remaining critical issues, I decided to extend the deadline for RC2 until Monday, April 24th 5pm UTC. That's more than has been requested and probably more than needed, but I think we shouldn't rush things. So relax and take the time needed to check and test things thoroughly. :D

As there have been quite a lot of fixes gone into the release branch, I think we should give testing RC2 at least a week, so I also postponed declaring the release until May 1st.

The release checklist issue has been updated accordingly.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#48 Post by Vezzra »

0.4.7 Release Candidate 2 is out.

Happy playtesting! :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#49 Post by Vezzra »

Update: With the deadline for declaring the release approaching, I'd like to get some feedback if you guys think RC2 is good enough to be our final 0.4.7 release. Particularly considering this bug report on our github issue tracker (I've also posted a corresponding request for comments there). The question is if we shall extend the deadline to have a bit more time to investigate that issue.

I will be gone until Monday evening, with most likely no internet access at all until I get back, so I won't be able to participate in any discussions regarding RC2 and declaring the release. So please, if you think that a RC3 is needed, or the deadline for declaring the release should be extended, speak up. @Geoff: Ultimately your call. Especially if there is no general consensus, or you don't agree with the consensus the others might reach, please state your decision.

Otherwise, if there is no progress with issue#1534, no other (serious) issues have turned up, and no objections against declaring RC2 as the final release have been raised when I get back on Monday evening, I'm going to assume that I shall proceed as planned and declare RC2 the 0.4.7 release.

Hasta la vista! 8)

Dilvish

#50 Post by Dilvish »

It sounds to me like both you and Geoff are in agreement about proceeding, and that is fine with me as well.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#51 Post by MatGB »

Yeah, that specific user has contributed in the past and is fairly reliable, but if we can't replicate it at all nor trace down when it was introduced then I don't think it should block release, I played two games on my Win laptop with RC2 a couple days back and had no problems.

It would be good to track it down, and if we can fix it then a bugfix release would be a good idea given we're discussing trying to keep that as an option anyway, but unless someone else can replicate or a reason can be found it on its own isn't enough.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#52 Post by Oberlus »

MatGB wrote:I played two games on my Win laptop with RC2 a couple days back and had no problems.
I've played more than 10 games with RC2 (Win7, Nvidia GPU), many times more than 100 turn in a single sesion of playing. Got no crash nor any other kind of error.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#53 Post by LGM-Doyle »

Vezzra, I agree that this issue should not block the release.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#54 Post by Vezzra »

Alright, guys, I got the message. ;)

RC2 has been declared the official stable 0.4.7 release.

Now we can go for 0.4.8 with full steam! 8)

Dilvish

#55 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:RC2 has been declared the official stable 0.4.7 release.
Whoohoo!!! *streamers!* *champagne!*

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#56 Post by LGM-Doyle »

:D Congratulations and thanks to everyone who worked towards this release:
  • play testers
  • graphics and sound artists
  • weekly translators
  • patient reviewers
  • website maintainers
  • game design and balancers
  • the devs
If I forget anyone, then pipe up, everyone should be credited for helping.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#57 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LGM-Doyle wrote:If I forget anyone, then pipe up, everyone should be credited for helping.
Vezzra in particular, as the primary packager / release manager.

Also, a Reddit post might be good.

The Silent One
Graphics

#58 Post by The Silent One »

Great job guys! :)
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Dilvish

#59 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Also, a Reddit post might be good.
Looks like someone posted a link to our release announcement in the Reddit Linux Gaming subreddit, but the only 2 responses so far are decidedly underwhelming -- anyone care to go talk up 0.4.7?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#60 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Also, a Reddit post might be good.
Hm, so far nobody seems to be inclined to take care of that... I don't have a Reddit account, and don't plan to create one - I'm trying to stay away from (social?) networks/communities like this as far as possible. Hence I can't do it myself.

Last time Mat made the announcement on reddit... @Mat, are you willing to do it again?