Curious - was it a feature or a bug

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

ghealy
Space Kraken

Curious - was it a feature or a bug

#1 Post by ghealy »

Just completed a game that went very long (for me) - over 400 turns. Production points were in excess of 4k. Research points in excess of 2k.

Somewhere around turn 300 I had finished researching everything I wanted to research. The AI proved tougher than most I had played previous, plus its empire was placed over a large area far from where i could build what I wanted to build, so it took many turns for me to build a fleet of warships large enough to attack and a few turns to get them from point of origin to the system I was invading. So the last almost 100 turns, I was producing and moving, but I was not researching any thing specifically.

Yet the game started researching items on its own. It appeared to research from to to bottom, left to right, all items not yet researched.

Is this normal? Or is this a bug?

Like I said, curious. :)

Gene

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Curious - was it a feature or a bug

#2 Post by MatGB »

New feature, haven't tested it myself, feedback useful I suspect.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#3 Post by ghealy »

Thanks, MatGB for the info.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

MatGB wrote:New feature, haven't tested it myself, feedback useful I suspect.
Only problem I see with that is if you don't want to achieve the research victory condition. Is there a way to halt research on a given tech (i.e. Transcendence)?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote:Is there a way to halt research on a given tech (i.e. Transcendence)?
Put it on the queue and pause it.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#6 Post by Jaumito »

Idea: why not divert excess research to a sink (or an unbounded research technology, if you wish) that would decrease the production costs of ship hulls and parts? If memory serves, there was something like this called "Miniaturization" (or something similar) in the original MOO games. Should probably use logarithms as to not make it too powerful, say something like a factor of 1/(1+log(1+M/1000)) applied to production costs (where M is the number of research points dumped into the "Miniaturization" tech.)