0.4.7 periodically hangs for a few seconds under Fedora 25

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ovarwa
Space Kraken

0.4.7 periodically hangs for a few seconds under Fedora 25

#1 Post by ovarwa »

Running fullscreen on laptop with default FO Linux options.

Occurs even if this is the only app I have open, though of course the usual processes are running to support desktop environment etc.

CPU: 2-core i5 second gen with integrated gfx.

Release is 0.4.7; I used dnf to install the package provided to the Fedora repo.

Behavior: Trackpad, screen and music freeze. Sometimes can alt-tab but sometimes not. (It might be that the freeze ends as I alt-tab, and that the keyboard is also frozen.) Duration ranges from 2-20 seconds.

Running top afterward with FO app open but not onscreen does not show undue memory usage, though FO always consumes CPU, even suspended.

Nothing has been swapped in or out during this time; storage device shows no activity. (So it's not stalled on slow or oversaturated block dev.)

0.4.6 never exhibited this behavior when running on the same laptop under Windows 7.

ovarwa
Space Kraken

Re: 0.4.7 periodically hangs for a few seconds under Fedora

#2 Post by ovarwa »

And now that it crashed, complete with logs!
Attachments
focrash.tgz
(3.91 MiB) Downloaded 86 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

Anytime you have a crash, whatever recollections you have of your activity at the time of crash are very helpful, in addition to the logs. From the AI logs and server log it looks like they all shut down cleanly, apparently in response to your game client terminating. Your main player log doesn't really give any indication of the crash, but I see the last line is

Code: Select all

2017-06-14 18:18:04.802451 [debug] Client : Sound.cpp:268 : Audio disabled.
-- did you turn off sound just prior to the crash?

Since you are working with a precompiled version from the Fedora repositories (to my understanding) it seems possible that the problem may relate to some driver conflict between whatever library settings they used to build FO versus what you have on your machine. I don't recall anyone from the Fedora team being vocal here, so you probably want to be sure to also post something directly with Fedora.

It is also pretty easy these days to build FO yourself on Linux, and I suspect that would be your best bet (plus you'd have more up-to-date code). Our compilation instructions are a bit better fleshed our for Ubuntu and debian, but if you have any questions just speak up. Our two main instruction pages for compiling are here, and more specifically for Linux here.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It would be helpful to discuss what you were doing to produce the crash, and exactly how / when it happened.

Better would be a stack trace.

ovarwa
Space Kraken

#5 Post by ovarwa »

Hi,
Dilvish wrote:Anytime you have a crash, whatever recollections you have of your activity at the time of crash are very helpful, in addition to the logs. From the AI logs and server log it looks like they all shut down cleanly, apparently in response to your game client terminating. Your main player log doesn't really give any indication of the crash, but I see the last line is

Code: Select all

2017-06-14 18:18:04.802451 [debug] Client : Sound.cpp:268 : Audio disabled.
-- did you turn off sound just prior to the crash?
Interesting. I did not disable audio, but audio does stop during each hang (my first post) and did stop before the crash, which started off as the usual hang.

My activity was banal: I was on the main screen trying to move the pointer toward a system.
It is also pretty easy these days to build FO yourself on Linux, and I suspect that would be your best bet (plus you'd have more up-to-date code).
Our compilation instructions are a bit better fleshed our for Ubuntu and debian, but if you have any questions just speak up. Our two main instruction pages for compiling are here, and more specifically for Linux here.
Thanks. I had seen that, but thought it would be simpler just to install the precompiled binaries. Silly me; it's Linux! I'll build my own, as you suggest.

Anyway,

Ken

ovarwa
Space Kraken

#6 Post by ovarwa »

Hi,
Geoff the Medio wrote:It would be helpful to discuss what you were doing to produce the crash, and exactly how / when it happened.

Better would be a stack trace.
The hangs just happen. Not when I open a screen, not in response to a click. The crash started off as just another hang of the usual sort.

I didn't see a stack trace in the directory as the logs, but I'll look for it.

Anyway,

Ken

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

ovarwa wrote:I didn't see a stack trace in the directory as the logs, but I'll look for it.
I bet it won't be there.

You can get an stack trace of any application by running it into a debugger. See for example first answer in here.

ovarwa
Space Kraken

#8 Post by ovarwa »

Oberlus wrote:
ovarwa wrote:I didn't see a stack trace in the directory as the logs, but I'll look for it.
I bet it won't be there.

You can get an stack trace of any application by running it into a debugger. See for example first answer in here.
I meant that I did not find a core dump file. Since I was not expecting a crash, I didn't even consider running it under gdb.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#9 Post by dbenage-cx »

Not sure if it will contain much for release build: System Tools->Problem Reporting->Right Click on crash->Open problem's data directory->core_backtrace
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

ovarwa
Space Kraken

#10 Post by ovarwa »

Well, core file generation was disabled by default, and I enabled this, so if there's a next time, I'll have something for you.

(The Fedora install was a bit strange; they installed *two* sets of executables, one in /bin and and other in /usr/bin... and they started with different defaults set. Odd.)

Also, I disabled gas clouds and limited FPS to 30, after which the problem stopped entirely.

As an aside, I notice that the tooltip for setting #threads for various functionality warns that using more than 1 thread is likely to result in instability, yet the default number of threads in each pool is greater than one. I did not touch these defaults, assuming that the documentation lags behind reality.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#11 Post by Dilvish »

ovarwa wrote:As an aside, I notice that the tooltip for setting #threads for various functionality warns that using more than 1 thread is likely to result in instability,
what version are you using, and did you change the language stringtable from the default en.txt? For the three threadcount tooltips on the Options->Other page for me, they all refer to merely "may cause unpredictable crashes", not that they are likely to do so. I am pretty sure that as a practical matter the risk seems to be very very low.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Using extra threads could cause crashes when doing stuff that causes effect evaluations, such as changing focus settings. If just moving the mouse around while nothing else is happening, it's less likely to be relevant.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by MatGB »

On threads as a specific, I do think we need a better explanation and a recommended settings guide somewhere, I never touch the settings and have no clue what they're doing or what changes it would make, if you're going to have an option it needs to be explicable, currently it's not.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

ovarwa
Space Kraken

#14 Post by ovarwa »

Dilvish wrote:
ovarwa wrote:As an aside, I notice that the tooltip for setting #threads for various functionality warns that using more than 1 thread is likely to result in instability,
what version are you using, and did you change the language stringtable from the default en.txt? For the three threadcount tooltips on the Options->Other page for me, they all refer to merely "may cause unpredictable crashes", not that they are likely to do so. I am pretty sure that as a practical matter the risk seems to be very very low.
Version 0.4.7.

No mods.

That's probably what the tooltips say for me too; I just remembered it wrong. In general, I find that when software says "may cause unpredictable crashes," it means that a) crashes have occurred in the past, b) the same kind of crash might occur in the future since the underlying cause has not been fixed (and perhaps cannot be fixed), c) crashes occur sufficiently often to warrant a gentle warning message, and d) the unpredictable crashes are quite predictable, since the warning message is predicting them.

ovarwa
Space Kraken

#15 Post by ovarwa »

I found a more specific version string: 0.4.7-2.fc25