Starlane drive oddity

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

Starlane drive oddity

#1 Post by Jaumito »

Playing 0.4.7 60d06dc, Linux(CMake) build.

As you can see in the screenshot, I tried to relocate two planets from system Fehu ε to system Brey α. You'll notice that Fehu ε II didn't move at all (source and target systems being the same) even though the SitRep claims the jump was succesful. Of course, I checked whether the planet did actually move or not (it didn't), there's a beacon on Brey α and none on Fehu ε, and both systems are within range of a lighthouse.

I've moved groups of planets succesfully before, including several times in this game (because, you know, playing Laenfa in an ancient galaxy :lol:), so I wonder if anyone could offer an explanation for this behavior. [EDIT: maybe a #planets per system limit?] Or is it just a bug?

(Side note: I've noticed that when a planet is destroyed in transit, its uncompleted production remains in the production queue - but probably should be removed as well as the planet itself, because what's the point?)
Attachments
Capture du 2017-06-20 12-04-40.png
Capture du 2017-06-20 12-04-40.png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Starlane drive oddity

#2 Post by Vezzra »

Jaumito wrote:maybe a #planets per system limit?
Yes, the number of orbits in a system is limited, so you can't pile planets in a system endlessly. How many planets are in that system (Brey α)?
I've noticed that when a planet is destroyed in transit, its uncompleted production remains in the production queue - but probably should be removed as well as the planet itself, because what's the point?
Hm, sounds reasonable. Can you open a github issue for that?

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#3 Post by Jaumito »

Vezzra wrote:Yes, the number of orbits in a system is limited, so you can't pile planets in a system endlessly. How many planets are in that system (Brey α)?
7 or 8, if memory serves.
Jaumito wrote:I've noticed that when a planet is destroyed in transit, its uncompleted production remains in the production queue - but probably should be removed as well as the planet itself, because what's the point?
Hm, sounds reasonable. Can you open a github issue for that?
Sure, if you tell me how I am supposed to do that first.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Jaumito wrote:Sure, if you tell me how I am supposed to do that first.
Create an account on github.com.
Go to https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion -> "Issues" tab -> "New Issue" (green button).
Then follow instructions.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#5 Post by dbenage-cx »

I think this is covered by Issue #917 (Confusing sitrep if Planetary Starlane Drive fails).
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Jaumito wrote:
Vezzra wrote:Yes, the number of orbits in a system is limited, so you can't pile planets in a system endlessly. How many planets are in that system (Brey α)?
Yup, that's the problem then. The hardcoded max planets per system is 7. If you try to move more planets into a system, then the exact behaviour you observed will happen.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

dbenage-cx wrote:I think this is covered by Issue #917 (Confusing sitrep if Planetary Starlane Drive fails).
Ah yes, exactly. Totally forgot about that, although it has been me who opened that issue... ;)

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#8 Post by em3 »

Vezzra wrote:
Jaumito wrote:
Yup, that's the problem then. The hardcoded max planets per system is 7. If you try to move more planets into a system, then the exact behaviour you observed will happen.
Is it really a good idea to hard code things like that? I understand a kind of soft limit should be applied during galaxy generation, but after that... I see no problems with piling up planets (aside from the fact, that the further planets should get almost no light from their star).
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

em3 wrote: I see no problems with piling up planets (aside from the fact, that the further planets should get almost no light from their star).
There is actually: lag. Having done the "pile em high" thing a few times, if you've got a maxed out system with lots of populated planets and effects that apply to those planets in system (eg microgravity mining or even just a gas giant generator) on most machines the game will lag.

If you manage to starlane drive all your planets into one place don't expect the system open, especially production menu, to respond very well on anything but the highest spec machine.

I learnt to play this game on an old netbook, that it doesn't require high end specs is a sales point for me.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#10 Post by em3 »

Fair enough.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556