Request: Recreate FreeOrion Logo in Blender

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Request: Recreate FreeOrion Logo in Blender

#1 Post by Vezzra »

For a while now we've been trying to get source files for our graphics assets, particularly those based on 3D models of course. While we have such source files for quite a lot of the graphics now, for the most we do not.

E.g. the FO logo (both the logo itself and the logo with the writing). Some time ago I thought I give it a try myself to recreate those with Blender, but when I tried to find out which font has been used for the writing, I came up empty. My 3D modelling skills are, lets say, quite humble, so doing it manually is probably a bit too much for me, and I don't really have the time for this anyway.

So, my request is, if there are capable 3D modelers lurking in the shadows, can any of you try to recreate the FO logo in Blender? I'm referring to these two:
FO_Icon_256x256.png
FO_Icon_256x256.png (23.68 KiB) Viewed 12614 times
logo.png
logo.png (57.94 KiB) Viewed 12614 times
If someone has any idea which font has been used here, that would be great too.

Reason: Given the time scale for the development of FO, I expect us to reach the point some day when we will need the logo in higher resolutions. Displays and grahics hardware are getting better and better, the quality of the current PNGs won't be sufficient forever IMO. The other reason is that I also expect us to want to provide some kind of official video clips (tutorials, introductory videos, etc.) at some point, and we should be able to use our logo in those.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

Re: Request: Recreate FreeOrion Logo in Blender

#2 Post by em3 »

Just curious: why do you need a 3D file format instead of 2D vector (SVG, fo example).
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

To be able to use them in Blender animations. Although I guess you can somehow import/convert formats like SVG into Blender... so a 2D format with which I can do that should be fine.

LordStephen77
Space Krill

#4 Post by LordStephen77 »

Do you want the logo and logo with text made with Blender? it is not difficult! With cycles I can get very nice rendered images. Logos are essentially in spatial projection (2D frontal). Using Blender to model logos is fun and I can do it, but it is advisable to use 3D models to render images in isometric perspective (example). Realizing the same logos (beautiful in my opinion) in spelling is rendering useless modeling work (it's best to use vector graphics software such as inkscape for example).

Realizing 3D logos is easy (I also have the materials already ready for text chroming and the logo laser effect) I have to think about the new concept.

If you have ideas, sketches, and more, it can be useful to my cause :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Github: https://github.com/LordStephen77

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

LordStephen77 wrote:Do you want the logo and logo with text made with Blender?
Preferably. It's an extremely powerful and versatile open source program, and many of our graphical assets have already been done with Blender. It's the tool we prefer our graphics artists to work with.
Using Blender to model logos is fun and I can do it, but it is advisable to use 3D models to render images in isometric perspective (example). Realizing the same logos (beautiful in my opinion) in spelling is rendering useless modeling work (it's best to use vector graphics software such as inkscape for example).
Well, em3 already pointed that out in their above post (by asking why I want Blender models and not just a SVG), see my answer to that.

Basically you're right of course, for purely 2D logos vector graphics and apps like Inkscape would be completely sufficient, but I also want to be able to use the logo in 3D animations (I'm mainly thinking about some nice flashy intro for future official FreeOrion videos). Although you can import SVGs into Blender, you'd still have to do some work on the imported logo: extrude it a bit to make it actually 3D, tinker with the materials etc. Much easier if the original logo is already done with Blender and available as a 3D model (with correct materials etc.).
Realizing 3D logos is easy (I also have the materials already ready for text chroming and the logo laser effect) I have to think about the new concept.
Sounds good!
If you have ideas, sketches, and more, it can be useful to my cause :D
Nothing beyond the graphics I posted in the OP. That's the problem - this is all I have. I don't know who created the logo, there are (to my knowledge) no sketches or anything like that, I don't even know which font has been used. All I have is the final product.

And what I want is not a new design, the final result should be as close as possible to the images above (only in better quality of course when rendered in higher resolutions). If you can improve upon the chroming and the red star/laser effects that is fine of course (as long as it does not deviate from the original too much).

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#6 Post by em3 »

@Vezzra
I think I saw the forum topic about the logo and the author mentioned he did the lettering by hand. I can't recall now, who was this and what's the topic name.

EDIT: http://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopi ... hilit=logo
I'm pretty sure that's the topic. Near its end there are versions looking like what's on the forum currently.
So there's Mystiqq and pd, who have last logged in in 2008 and 2015, respectively. Most links and attached images are dead, unfortunately.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

LordStephen77
Space Krill

#7 Post by LordStephen77 »

Perfectly, I realize the logo with Blender exactly like the original. No problem. The chrome and red laser effect should be set well with the material node editor but it is not a problem. I can do it.

The images you have published are sufficient (use as blueprint).

I use a font like this, I can do it :wink:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Github: https://github.com/LordStephen77

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

@em3: Yep, that seems to be the thread where the design of the current logo seems to have taken place. And it seems they actually have been using vector graphic programs to create the "source files", but only ever posted the final images they created, never the SVG or whatever source format they had been using. Pity. Although we could try to contact eleazar, pd or Mystigg, at least with the first two we probably have some chance of actually getting an answer.

@Geoff, seeing that you have been partaking in that discussion, any chance that you have any of the vector graphic files or something similar which might have been used to create the final images archived anywhere?

If we could get our hands on original vector graphic files, that would make LordStephen's job a lot easier, as he could start with them instead of having to remodel all the letters and the logo from scratch...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

LordStephen77 wrote:I use a font like this, I can do it
Hm, will that really speed up things? I browsed through the thread em3 linked, and if I understand correctly what's been said there, it sounds like Mystigg more or less adapted some font to get the exact result they wanted (judging by the discussion, apparently existing fonts didn't match what they wanted closely enough). I wonder if it's actually faster to just remodel the text and logo with curves... but you're judgment on this is probably better than mine.

The Silent One
Graphics

#10 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote:While we have such source files for quite a lot of the graphics now, for the most we do not.

E.g. the FO logo (both the logo itself and the logo with the writing).
I have recreated the FreeOrion logo at 2048x2048, the bevel and glossy metallic look isn't perfect yet, but it should do?! https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion- ... mages/logo
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

A 2048x2048 image should at least last us for years to come, I guess. The image you created looks really nice. To use it in a 3D animation within Blender we/I'd still need to create a 3D model based on that image though. But with such a high resolution this should be easier, at the very least.

Thanks for you work. Now, if you could also recreate the writing... but I guess that will be a lot more work...? ;)

The Silent One
Graphics

#12 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:06 pmNow, if you could also recreate the writing... but I guess that will be a lot more work...? ;)
If you're fine with the aforementioned alterations, np, I'll see what I can do.

[Edit] Done, uploading now.[/Edit]
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#13 Post by Vezzra »

Excellent, thanks!

The Silent One
Graphics

#14 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:19 am Excellent, thanks!
Welcome, of course now I'm curious what you're gonna do with it. :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#15 Post by Vezzra »

The Silent One wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:37 amWelcome, of course now I'm curious what you're gonna do with it. :D
To quote myself:
Vezzra wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:22 pmReason: Given the time scale for the development of FO, I expect us to reach the point some day when we will need the logo in higher resolutions. Displays and grahics hardware are getting better and better, the quality of the current PNGs won't be sufficient forever IMO. The other reason is that I also expect us to want to provide some kind of official video clips (tutorials, introductory videos, etc.) at some point, and we should be able to use our logo in those.
So, short term there isn't going to happen anything spectacular. But it's good to have those high-res images now, so we can replace the old ones should that become necessary - e.g. when screen resolutions become mainstream for which the resolution of our current logo images simply isn't good enough anymore.

Or if someone finally decides to make some "official" FO videos (tutorials, whatever), which should get a default "official" intro, preferrably displaying our logo... you get the idea ;)