Version 2017-07-03.a5f0edc won't let me load old saves

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Version 2017-07-03.a5f0edc won't let me load old saves

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Playing version 2017-07-03.a5f0edc_Test_Win32.
Freshly installed, it won't let me load save games from previous test version 2017-06-25.ec064ec_Test_Win32.
Reinstalling previous version allows to load those games.
Didn't test if I can load save games from versions older than ec064ec, but I know the save games I tried were started using version 2017-06-20.bf63f44.

Too tired right now to reinstall a5f0edc and check logs. I'll do tomorrow if you need them.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Version 2017-07-03.a5f0edc won't let me load old saves

#2 Post by Dilvish »

The dialog doesn't even list them, or doesn't let you try to load them, or it fails/crashes or something if you do try to load them? (If it's the last one, please be as specific as possible).

Savegame incompatibility is not terribly uncommon as master develops, but it should be handled smoothly and there is no harm in making sure that someone has made a change that would be expected to break compatibility (typically a change to the attributes of the Universe or one of the UniverseObjects).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

It lets me "load" them. The process looks normal. Message window says it is creating AIs. But nothing else happens: you see an empty galaxy, and empty sitrep window and an empty empires window. You can close and open windows, "save game" and "next turn" are greyed.

Edit: I saw MatGB's post on the revamped ship design part & limited engines. I guess that's the cause of the failed load: engines now are different and restricted to only one per ship.

A message informing the player when this kind of incompatibility happens would be nice, but not sure if it can be detected on the fly by the new version or if it would be way easier just to hardcode a notice on new releases when it is known a priori.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

It's not the engine part change, it's the new process for the design window. Yes, it breaks compatibility with old saves, didn't think to mention it as I always assume saves aren't compatible across versions and forget they sometimes are.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.