Psychogenic Domination

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
EricF
Space Dragon

Psychogenic Domination

#1 Post by EricF »

Do you have to be a Telepathic race to use this? I mean to set the Planetary Focus.
And I have researched this yet my ships are still being turned by the Psionic Snowflakes.
I thought this tech protected you from them.

playing FreeOrion_2017-07-10.88abef8_Test_Win32_Setup

Morlic
AI Contributor

Re: Psychogenic Domination

#2 Post by Morlic »

EricF wrote:Do you have to be a Telepathic race to use this? I mean to set the Planetary Focus.
Yes.
And I have researched this yet my ships are still being turned by the Psionic Snowflakes.
I thought this tech protected you from them.
The snowflakes have 2 different rolls for turning ships:

1. Up to 4 ships with a chance of 20%, only organic species
2. Up to 12 ships with a chance of 80%, only organic non-telepathic species

Researching PsyDom protects your non-telepathic ships against the second roll. So there still is a 20% chance to lose up to 4 ships.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

EricF
Space Dragon

#3 Post by EricF »

It would be nice if the Pedia mentioned this.
There is no mention of having to be telepathic to set the Focus.
And you don't have to give the raw numbers you gave me in the Pedia if you don't want to give too much away, but currently it says, "Protects against Psionic Snowflakes taking over your ships."
That's a pretty definitive statement. Something like, "Gives you the same limited protection from Psionic Snowflakes that Telepathic Races have". might be better.

And they only affect Organics? Not Lithic or Phototropic, etc? When I first encountered them and read the Pedia entry for them when it said they can take control of ships with Organic Metabolisms I (stupidly) assumed it meant that only Robotic Metabolism crews would be immune. Why would PS be engineered to only affect Organics?

EricF
Space Dragon

#4 Post by EricF »

Also some (ANY) mention of ships 'turning' in the SitRep would be really helpful.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

EricF wrote:It would be nice if the Pedia mentioned this.
There is no mention of having to be telepathic to set the Focus.
And you don't have to give the raw numbers you gave me in the Pedia if you don't want to give too much away, but currently it says, "Protects against Psionic Snowflakes taking over your ships."
That's a pretty definitive statement. Something like, "Gives you the same limited protection from Psionic Snowflakes that Telepathic Races have". might be better.
EricF wrote:Also some (ANY) mention of ships 'turning' in the SitRep would be really helpful.
Can you create github issues for these? So they don't get forgotten...