v0.4.7+ build 2017-08-03.595b29f

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: v0.4.7+ build 2017-08-03.595b29f

#16 Post by Dilvish »

Hmmm, from those log files, it looks sort of like perhaps you started up the game, tabbed back to the console to see the console error messages, then tabbed back to FO and told it to quit? (At least, it shows that FO lost focus, and then regained it, right before the human client had a seemingly clean shutdown). The server log does appear to abruptly end in the middle (near the start really) of generating a universe for a game.

The only reference I see in those logs to Jack/sound/audio is

Code: Select all

08:56:32.753949 [debug] client : Sound.cpp:252 : Audio enabled.
which is output after the sound system is successfully initialized. Which looks to me like it shouldn't even be happening if sound is fully disabled.
If I disable sound in the Options it just gives me the boost error.
Did you also disable music? if not, please then try at least once with it disabled and let us know.

So, whether or not you had already disabled both sound and music (and keep in mind those settings might get reset when you reinstall or rebuild a new version unless you have them saved to persistent-config), please try again and report very specifically what you did and what happened (and give the logs that go with that).

and also be sure to try again with both sound and music enabled, just in case your attempt with the Jack control panel did fix things there.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#17 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:Hmmm, from those log files, it looks sort of like perhaps you started up the game, tabbed back to the console to see the console error messages, then tabbed back to FO and told it to quit? (At least, it shows that FO lost focus, and then regained it, right before the human client had a seemingly clean shutdown). The server log does appear to abruptly end in the middle (near the start really) of generating a universe for a game.
I went to the console window and did a Ctrl-C to exit.

Dilvish wrote:The only reference I see in those logs to Jack/sound/audio is

08:56:32.753949 [debug] client : Sound.cpp:252 : Audio enabled.
which is output after the sound system is successfully initialized. Which looks to me like it shouldn't even be happening if sound is fully disabled.
If I disable sound in the Options it just gives me the boost error.
Did you also disable music? if not, please then try at least once with it disabled and let us know.
Not from the new compile, went back to defaults.
Dilvish wrote:and also be sure to try again with both sound and music enabled, just in case your attempt with the Jack control panel did fix things there.
[build 2017-08-02.f7ba95b]
Starting jack server, all at defaults, start up get the main menu, do a Quick get a blank screen, go to console and Ctrl-C.
freeorion.log
(27 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
freeoriond.log
(79.44 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Jack server not started, audio disabled, start up and Quickstart to a blank screen, go to console and Ctrl-C:
freeorion.log
(27 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
freeoriond.log
(79.44 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#18 Post by LGM-Doyle »

Hello AndrewW.

I have some questions.

Are those logs from today? The dates in the ones that I looked at are 2016-04-13.

When you are quitting freeorion are you making sure to kill any hung processes, freeorion and jack.

Is jack working with any other application?

What are some of your system specs: Machine, video card, audio setup, OS, version? Knowing the OS might help the devs more familiar with your OS.

Can you find any commit that compiles and works correctly? Even if you have to go back months to find one that works, if you have one that works and one that does not, then it will be relatively easy to find the exact commit that causes the problem. Also, if you have upgraded something on your machine and you can find a commit that you know used to work, then you know the problem is with the upgrade.

Does the intro screen display correctly?

If the intro screen displays correctly, then what happens when you toggle music and/or audio on the Options->Audio tab?

It seems to no longer be crashing. Is that correct?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#19 Post by AndrewW »

LGM-Doyle wrote:Are those logs from today? The dates in the ones that I looked at are 2016-04-13.
Odd, should have been today. Logs are dated today, attaching the most recent set to this one (should be the same as the last set I posted).
LGM-Doyle wrote:When you are quitting freeorion are you making sure to kill any hung processes, freeorion and jack.
Did a pkill on freeorion and freeoriond, didn't Jack though.
LGM-Doyle wrote:Is jack working with any other application?
Unknown, no idea what else uses it. Never had to start it up before.
LGM-Doyle wrote:What are some of your system specs: Machine, video card, audio setup, OS, version? Knowing the OS might help the devs more familiar with your OS.
AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor
16GB
Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
GeForce GTX 660
Built in audio: Realtek ALC887
Linux Debian 9
LGM-Doyle wrote:Can you find any commit that compiles and works correctly? Even if you have to go back months to find one that works, if you have one that works and one that does not, then it will be relatively easy to find the exact commit that causes the problem. Also, if you have upgraded something on your machine and you can find a commit that you know used to work, then you know the problem is with the upgrade.
Only change from previously working is switching from Debian 8 to Debian 9, no hardware changes.

Can try some more. Had it running awhile back under Debian 8, but hadn't compiled a newer version for awhile.
LGM-Doyle wrote:Does the intro screen display correctly?
Yes.
LGM-Doyle wrote:If the intro screen displays correctly, then what happens when you toggle music and/or audio on the Options->Audio tab?
Works fine, and then defaults to off (or on).
LGM-Doyle wrote:It seems to no longer be crashing. Is that correct?
Not a crash, just the console error and a black screen.
freeorion.log
(6.27 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
freeoriond.log
(24.77 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#20 Post by dbenage-cx »

Did a pkill on freeorion and freeoriond, didn't Jack though
Check for any instances of freeorionca as well

Passing options directly will override any config setting (currently both options needed to disable all sound):
$freeorion --UI.sound.enabled 0 --UI.sound.music-enabled 0

From what I've read, it sounds like you are hanging after new game start, even with the above settings?
Or, if those last logs are with audio enabled, please try with above (with logs if it does not work).

I assume PulseAudio is installed as well, worth noting: FAQ - PulseAudio and JACK

Might also try setting the openal-soft config, create or edit ~/.alsoftrc

[jack]
spawn-server = true
buffer-size = 32

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#21 Post by AndrewW »

dbenage-cx wrote:From what I've read, it sounds like you are hanging after new game start, even with the above settings?
Yes, but been playing with different builds and got one that is working now even with sound enabled.
dbenage-cx wrote:I assume PulseAudio is installed as well, worth noting: FAQ - PulseAudio and JACK
Yup, PulseAudio has been fine (at least with everything else).

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#22 Post by AndrewW »

Ok, everything seems fine with (including sound):

[build 2017-06-21.2cb5b21]

Or at least it starts up, didn't really go any further yet.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#23 Post by Geoff the Medio »

AndrewW wrote:Ok, everything seems fine with (including sound):

[build 2017-06-21.2cb5b21]
That's the last version that works, or just one you found that does work but might not be the last?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#24 Post by AndrewW »

Geoff the Medio wrote:That's the last version that works, or just one you found that does work but might not be the last?
First one I found that works, haven't tried to narrow it down further. Thought possibly from that someone might have an idea of what change might have effected something. But can play around with it some more and see what else works/doesn't work.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#25 Post by AndrewW »

Don't ask me why, but removed the directory and started from scratch with a new build and everything seems to be working normally now.

[build 2017-09-03.5ebf66e]

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#26 Post by LGM-Doyle »

AndrewW, now that it is working, are your still getting the jack server not running error in the console? Was the jack error a red herring?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#27 Post by AndrewW »

LGM-Doyle wrote:AndrewW, now that it is working, are your still getting the jack server not running error in the console? Was the jack error a red herring?

jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
But audio is working fine.