Bug: Game starts, but nothing displayed

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

Captain Tofu
Space Krill

Bug: Game starts, but nothing displayed

#1 Post by Captain Tofu »

Good Evening!

Problem:

I successfully installed FreeOrion. When I run it, music plays, the programm window opens, but nothing is displayed. If you drag another window over FreeOrion, it leaves stains. I hear, I can click on menu options, if guess where they are.
A graphic driver issue? But:

All drivers updated. All windows updates installed. Restarted the PC after installing FreeOrion. No change.

What can I do?
I tried to update OpenGL, but I could not find anything. I cant even find an entry in my system - as far as I am concerned, it might as well no be installed (which is unlikely with win7).

My Setup:

T61 Laptop
Windows 7 Professional SP1, 64 bit
Intel 2 Duo T7100 (1,80 GHz)
2GB Ram
Graphics card: Intel 965 Express Chipset Family. Driver Version 8.15.10.1867 (from 2009)

FreeOrion Version recommend 0.4.7.1, Win32 Installer from the FreeOrion wiki

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Bug: Game starts, but nothing displayed

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Captain Tofu wrote: Graphics card: Intel 965 Express Chipset Family. Driver Version 8.15.10.1867 (from 2009)

All drivers updated. All windows updates installed. Restarted the PC after installing FreeOrion. No change.

What can I do?
I tried to update OpenGL, but I could not find anything. I cant even find an entry in my system - as far as I am concerned, it might as well no be installed (which is unlikely with win7).
well, you are certainly on the right track for things to check. The openGL Kronos website indicates that Windows 7 always provides at least OpenGL 1.1, and your graphics card driver can provide better than that. And better is needed-- I recommend you try updating directly from the intel website: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

For full performance, FreeOrion 0.4.7 requires OpenGL 2.1. Some google searching indicates that with fully updated drivers your card may be able to support some of OpenGL2.0 (and I saw some reference to a beta driver for OpenGL 2.1), but probably not all of the 2.1 features due to hardware limitations in your card. Still, I'm not sure just which OpenGL2.1 features FO really needs, perhaps a fully updated driver will get you reasonable performance. If not, you could try one of our previous releases.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Could you post freeorion.log from after attempting to run the game? It's located in the directory discussed here, which should be C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion for Win7.

Captain Tofu
Space Krill

#4 Post by Captain Tofu »

1) downloadcenter.intel.com
Yeah, I have been there, they only have 1 OpenGL Download, and that one is for Linux.
I cannot find anything relevant regarding OpenGL update/installation for Windows 7. The only thing I found was a instruction on youtube:

install devc++ 5.4.1
download glutming.zip
copy glut.h to C:\Program Files (x86)\Dev-Cpp\MinGW32\include\GL
copy libglut32.a to C:\Program Files (x86)\Dev-Cpp\MinGW32\lib
copy glut32.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64

That scares me.

2) config.xml
Found it! See attachment
Attachments
config.xml
(25.92 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#5 Post by em3 »

Captain Tofu wrote:1) downloadcenter.intel.com
Yeah, I have been there, they only have 1 OpenGL Download, and that one is for Linux.
I cannot find anything relevant regarding OpenGL update/installation for Windows 7. The only thing I found was a instruction on youtube:
Generally, one does not download OpenGL on Windows. Instead, OpenGL comes with video card drivers.

Looking at downloads for your model:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... set-Family

There is indeed only a version from 2009. You could try installing the INF from 2011 available from this page, but I\m not sure if it'll help.

You could also try driver from Lenovo:
https://support.lenovo.com/gr/en/downlo ... 888D66AEAB

It is stated to support T61 model. It has a never release date but smaller version number, so I dunno.

EDIT: In the latter's changelog there's:
Version 6.14.10.5043

(Fix) Fixed an issue where some OpenGL drawing functions did not work.
So... there's hope, I guess?
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Captain Tofu
Space Krill

#6 Post by Captain Tofu »

1) downloadcenter.intel.com
Apparently I was looking for the wrong keyword? Amazing you found this!
result: no effect

2) Lenovo Support
Installation failed, because my laptop does not fullfil the minimum requirements.

3) New Version
There is little hope since it will still depend on OpenGL V2.0.
Thank you for the support so far!

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Captain Tofu wrote:2) config.xml
Found it! See attachment
Please try again:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Could you post freeorion.log ...

Captain Tofu
Space Krill

#8 Post by Captain Tofu »

Oh sorry, I have read config.xml somewhere. Maybe in the wiki link. Anyway here are the logs:
Attachments
freeoriond.log
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
freeorion.log
(4.65 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

From the log, your OpenGL version is 2.0. That may be insufficient to run FreeOrion, depending which requirements listing you consult.

Captain Tofu
Space Krill

#10 Post by Captain Tofu »

So a T61 is too weak for FreeOrion. Too bad : l
Thank you for your time!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#11 Post by Dilvish »

Captain Tofu wrote:So a T61 is too weak for FreeOrion. Too bad : l
No, many T61's will have better graphics. But even for yours, it looks like you do have another path if you are willing to dual boot with Linux.

This thread indicates that while the Windows drivers for that intel graphics chip will only support up to OpenGL 2.0, the Linux drivers for it will support OpenGL 2.1.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0