order cancellation

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

The Silent One
Graphics

order cancellation

#1 Post by The Silent One »

Currently, when a fleet is ordered to move (or a fleet is merged into a different, moving fleet) the ships of the fleet will still carry out their orders in the system they are departing from. For example, invasion ships will perform an invasion despite leaving, same for bombard ships; planet destroyers will also fire before leaving. This behaviour is probably something we don't want, so I would suggest that, if a fleet is issued a MoveOrder or a FleetTransferOrder, the orders of their ships (maybe except scrap orders) should be rescinded. Thoughts?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: order cancellation

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Agree.
Maybe even scrap orders should be removed. And the same on the other way around: if a fleet has a moving order and then it receives a scrap/colonise/merge order the moving order should be cancelled.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#3 Post by LGM-Doyle »

This is the desired behavior. It saves the player the extra clicking of finding ships with orders and removing them from their fleets before ordering fleets to move.

For example, if the player has a mixed fleet, with some attack ships, some troop transports and some colony ships.
The player sends it to system 1.
The fleet attacks.
The player clicks, "Invade", "Colonize" etc.
The player orders the fleet to move to system 2.
The attacking and colonizing ships are automatically removed, and invade or colonize as ordered

If the player cancels the invasion or colonization the ships stay with their fleets.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

The Silent One wrote:Currently, when a fleet is ordered to move (or a fleet is merged into a different, moving fleet) the ships of the fleet will still carry out their orders in the system they are departing from. For example, invasion ships will perform an invasion despite leaving, same for bombard ships; planet destroyers will also fire before leaving. This behaviour is probably something we don't want, so I would suggest that, if a fleet is issued a MoveOrder or a FleetTransferOrder, the orders of their ships (maybe except scrap orders) should be rescinded. Thoughts?
No. No no no no no no no no no.

Unless you want to have a 'split ships with system orders' right click as well which might be useful.

The ability to have a large fleet of troop ships following my main force and have it land troops and move on as required is essential.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#5 Post by The Silent One »

I see that the current system makes sense for invasion and colonisation. The ships involved don't get an extra action since they are removed anyway. For bombardement it is a different matter, they can not only bombard, but move on the same turn, which makes it seem like they can do two actions at the same time.
So, maybe make a move order just cancel a bombard order?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

I haven't in the past seen a balance concern with it, you move in, fight the combat, if you survive you can choose to bombard then move on or bombard and stay, part of me likes that that is a strategic choice and it'll be worth considering more when we do a balance pass on bombarding in general which is due.

Launch your planet killing stuff as you leave the system, not seeing a problem with that myself, but it's not my call.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#7 Post by dbenage-cx »

It has been a while since I've let a monster bombard a planet, would this not require them to remain in-system 2 turns before leaving?
I perceive these orders as end of turn events, as they occur prior to combat and movement on the following turn.
Invading a planet does not expose the troop ships to another round of combat prior to landing, would hope that would change as well if one can not issue both bombard and move orders.
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

Monster bombarb is scripted differently and occurs during effects processing when they're there, ships that bombard have different scripts: when Geoff (I think) introduced the bombard mechanic it was shoehorned onto existing parts but we've never redone it from scratch properly.
Mat Bowles

The Silent One
Graphics

#9 Post by The Silent One »

dbenage-cx wrote:I perceive these orders as end of turn events, as they occur prior to combat and movement on the following turn.
Yeah, I guess that's a way to look at it. So making a mental note as "won't fix" :wink: