Spotting Laenfa and Empire Detection

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

ghealy
Space Kraken

Spotting Laenfa and Empire Detection

#1 Post by ghealy »

Am currently battling Laenfa, who have a +40 bonus on planetary stealth. I have an empire detection strength of 50. They have planetary stealth of 75 non-Laenfa inhabited planets & 125 for Laenfa inhabited planets. As a result my ships can not see their planets to attack.

I believe I can add a neutron scanner to my ship that would give me a detection strength of 75. My question is: is that cumulative to my empire detection strength level , i.e. 75 & 50 =125?

Second question. If I build one warship with the scanner, if I combine it with other warships that do not have the scanner, can only it detect the planet to attack, or can all the ships in that fleet benefit from the first ship's added detection strength?

Appreciate any information. Thanks

- Gene
Last edited by ghealy on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Questions, please

#2 Post by MatGB »

Currently, the parts don't reduce the stealth of targets, having the scanner present won't help.

We have in progress but not going to be complete before the next release some stuff that will change that but it's in early development stages currently.

Basically, you're behind on detection tech and need to race it back up, if you're fighting Laenfa that always needs to be prioritised, in the meantime blockades and supply disruption will help.

Empires have detection strength. Ships and planets have detection range.

You can see anything with a stealth value below your detection strength within range of one of your spotters. There are some affects that can change things, the Interstellar Lighthouse reduces stealth within system, and there's a special that increases empire detection strength.

If the enemy has researched actual stealth techs on top of basic abilities then you're probably closer to the end game, you need to prioritise not just Neutron Scanner but also Sensors, I always try to have the latter by turn 150 and Omni Scanner by turn 200.

(Can you rename this thread also, Spotting Laenfa and Empire Detection would work better)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

ghealy
Space Kraken

Re: Spotting Laenfa and Empire Detection

#3 Post by ghealy »

Thanks, MatGB. I had researched Neutron scanner but hadn't completed Senors at that time. I realize now that part of my issue was a ION storm that gave their planets an extra 40 to their stealth strength. Once the storm has passed I was able to attack.

So if I understand correctly, only the Neutron scanner, Sensors and Omni-scanner increased the Empire Detection level?

Thanks as always for the help/clarification.

- Gene

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

ghealy wrote:Thanks, MatGB. I had researched Neutron scanner but hadn't completed Senors at that time. I realize now that part of my issue was a ION storm that gave their planets an extra 40 to their stealth strength. Once the storm has passed I was able to attack.
Ah, yeah, Ion Storms can be a real pain at times.

Especially with the scripts Vezzra put in so they sometimes just appear randomly.
So if I understand correctly, only the Neutron scanner, Sensors and Omni-scanner increased the Empire Detection level?
Pretty much, yes (well, and Active Radar). There's a single special, the panopticon, that increases it by 10 as well, but that's always unique one-per-galaxy.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#5 Post by ghealy »

Thanks for the added clarification.