Linux - Building FreeOrion with different versions of Boost

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

dbenage-cx
Programmer

Linux - Building FreeOrion with different versions of Boost

#1 Post by dbenage-cx »

For testing various versions, I use the following procedure
Building Boost - (example is for Boost version 1.63.0, with a root directory of /opt/projects/boost)
  • Download and extract to /opt/projects/boost/src. /opt/projects/boost/src/boost_1_63_0/bootstrap.sh should now exist
  • From /opt/projects/boost/src:
    • ./bootstrap.sh --prefix=/opt/projects/boost/1_63_0
    • mkdir build_1_63_0 && mkdir stage_1_63_0
    • ./b2 --build-dir=build_1_63_0 stage --stage-dir=stage_1_63_0
    • ./bjam install
For a first attempt, I recommend doing the above manually on the first run. Typically I use a custom build script for consistency (YMMV).
There should now exist /opt/projects/boost/1_63_0 with sub-directories for include and lib.

Building FreeOrion - From freeorion source dir:
  • mkdir build-x && cd build-x
  • cmake -DBOOST_ROOT=/opt/projects/boost/1_63_0 ..
  • make
If your systems FindBoost.cmake is outdated for the desired version, take note of the upstream version of this module.

I build from within KDevelop half the time: Project->Open Configuration->Configure build directory(+ sign)->
Alter build directory to something unique to version
Add Custom Argument: -DBOOST_ROOT=/opt/projects/boost/1_63_0
(remember to right click the new directory and "Exclude from project", else parser may choke during build)
For those on other IDEs, it may be useful to post how to adjust cmake flags.

Alternatively to downloading Boost, one could clone the super-project and checkout the desired version tag.
Can be useful to test fixes in some Boost pre-release, to see if a previous issue is addressed.
I've only done this with the posted script, creating a symlink for /opt/projects/boost/src/boost_$VERSION and passing $VERSION as the script arg

Do not recall if I successfully built FreeOrion with clang, I've at least built Boost by altering the boost build steps to:
  • ./bootstrap.sh --with-toolset=clang
  • mkdir build_1_63_0 && mkdir stage_1_63_0
  • ./b2 toolset=clang cxxflags="=std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++" linkflags="-lc++abi -stdlib=libc++" --build-dir=build_1_63_0 stage --stage-dir=stage_1_63_0
  • ./bjam install
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

spikethehobbit
Space Squid

Re: Linux - Building FreeOrion with different versions of Bo

#2 Post by spikethehobbit »

Freeorion built fine with clang 3.9 before pull #1838 fix_parser_memory_leaks. I can't get it to compile at all with that commit.
All contributions are submitted under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidlines.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#3 Post by LGM-Doyle »

spikethehobbit, I almost missed this posted under the title compiling with different versions of Boost.

Could you open an issue and post the compiler logs?

spikethehobbit
Space Squid

#4 Post by spikethehobbit »

Sorry for being (very!) slow responding. I've posted two new issues, one for gcc and one for clang.
gcc has a trivial workaround. I missed the real error before, and was trying to debug a bogus one that came later in the logs. Oops.
clang is proving more troublesome.
All contributions are submitted under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidlines.