planet status marker

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

The Silent One
Graphics

planet status marker

#1 Post by The Silent One »

A while ago I started implementing a marker to show when a planet is blockaded (here: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/1624). But since there are some more situations when stuff happens to planets which should be shown by the UI (like its meter growth being suspended due to a planet being attacked on the previous turn), a more general approach to show what's happening to planets would make sense. My suggestion is to introduce a general "planet incapacitation marker" that appears when something bad is happening to a planet, combined with a tooltip that will show negative effects acting on a planet. (Positive effects might be listed as well for a general planet tooltip?). Mockup to demonstrate the idea below.
Attachments
planet effect overview 2.png
planet effect overview 2.png (89.5 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: planet status marker

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Meter accounting tooltips already show much of that. I'd keep it to just major events, not any persistent effects or bonuses...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Actually, I quite like the idea, yes the meter shows it case by case, but you have to check all of them to see everything, even now keeping track of some stuff is confusing (I'm getting old, obviously, but my memory isn't good).

Assuming it doesn't take processing time (ie stuff already compiled is displayed in two locations) I think it would be good and definitely useful for new players learning.

Especially if/when we redo stuff like Xenophobia and add in more stuff. I would include normal tech bonuses, but specials and out-of-empire maluses definitely.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by Ouaz »

Very good idea. The more there is info/summary about what's going on, the better is for new players (and for the others too).

One nitpick though:

I don't know how you do it, but I usually display the suitability report by right-clicking on the planet itself. It could be cumbersome if there is a big exclamation mark on the planet, displaying also the tooltip (well, it's just a mockup, but still...).

Proposal:
planet-effect-overview-3.gif
planet-effect-overview-3.gif (40.76 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Attachments
50088.png
50088.png (791 Bytes) Viewed 1178 times
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

EricF
Space Dragon

#5 Post by EricF »

Why would a planet under attack still receive bonuses from other planets?
Isn't it being blockaded?
Eliminating the bonuses should be one of the many reasons to blockade systems.

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One »

Marker and top-left corner positioning look good to me, Ouaz. No objections from me to do it like that.
EricF wrote:Why would a planet under attack still receive bonuses from other planets?
Isn't it being blockaded? Eliminating the bonuses should be one of the many reasons to blockade systems.
It's only a mockup to demonstrate an idea, it's not completely correct or from in-game. If a planet is cut off from supply by blockade, it would not receive the boni from its supply group, like the computronium moon; at least, I think it wouldn't?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

Actually, it would for the moon, it's one of the very few specials that work even when out of supply, deliberately if memory serves but before my time.

Most don't work but I've no problem with a communication based effect not being blocked and it's never been a balance concern (I will be looking at the bonus it grants at some point soon, I'm revieiwing all of them at the moment).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.