[Resolved] [UI] [(e6848d8)] Pedia window, prod view

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
alleryn
Space Dragon

[Resolved] [UI] [(e6848d8)] Pedia window, prod view

#1 Post by alleryn »

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the forum, not entirely sure if i'm posting in the appropriate section.

I just started up a new game in the Nov. 20 test build. This is my first time loading up after the release version of 0.4.7.1

Has the production view been changed since then? I am noticing that every time i open the produciton queue, the Pedia window opens. I don't recall this happening previously, though i'm not sure. It happens with and without the
---> Options > Galaxy Map > Hide map panels in production view <---
option set. (In the past, i don't believe the pedia window would automatically open like this, even with this setting toggled off).

Is this the intended behavior? I try to keep my production window fairly clean, so that i can move from system to system using the map, when necessary, only opening the pedia when necessary.

Am i just remembering incorrectly; did it always work this way? Is there some setting i may be overlooking?

Thank you,
alleryn
Last edited by alleryn on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

Re: [UI] [Nov. 20 test build (e6848d8)] Pedia window, prod v

#2 Post by dbenage-cx »

Hi alleryn,

Between the map, production, and research windows, the layout of pedia window is now unique (can be toggled, resized, moved to different position).
e.g. you can leave the pedia window open on Map and it will not affect if the pedia is shown on Production or Research.

Edit: After checking, toggle is not being retained, will look into it.

The default hotkey to toggle the pedia window is F1.

Note that the current article is not necessarily unique, the article displayed in one window may not be the same after selecting items in another window.

IIRC, the "Hide map panels ..." option affects the smaller type windows (e.g. empires, messages), in event they clutter the view in production window.
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#3 Post by alleryn »

Thanks, dbenage-cx.

Just a quick note on:
dbenage-cx wrote: IIRC, the "Hide map panels ..." option affects the smaller type windows (e.g. empires, messages), in event they clutter the view in production window.
While that behavior makes sense, the tooltip does indicate that it applies to the pedia window. The tooltip for that option reads:
"Toggles whether the sitrep, pedia etc. panels ...". As far as i can tell, in its current state it applies to the Sitrep, Messages, and Empire panels.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#4 Post by dbenage-cx »

Good catch on the pedia window, should be fixed in master 87f18e0 for next test build.

Quickly looking at hide map panels, it looks like it should affect the following windows:
  • SitRep
  • Objects List
  • Pedia (on map)
  • Side Panel (on map)
  • Combat Report
  • Moderator Actions (available only when set to Moderator (multi-player setup))
Could you open a bug report for parts that are not working/described correctly? (If not inclined, I will do so later after testing)
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#5 Post by alleryn »

dbenage-cx wrote: Could you open a bug report for parts that are not working/described correctly? (If not inclined, I will do so later after testing)
I'll give it a shot, never submitted a bug report or found the moderator window yet, but i'll check it out and update here one way or another.

Thanks for fixing the pedia window.

Followup (edit):
I think there really is no problem with 'hide map panels' or its current tooltip, so i've decided not to file any bug report. I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to be working as expected. Let me know if you concur or want to look into it further.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#6 Post by dbenage-cx »

Thank you for checking, I've not noticed anything, though I've not used the option much in past.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#7 Post by alleryn »

Yep, i only brought it up initially because i thought it might be associated with the problem i was having with the production view, but it seems fine. Thanks, again.