Opening "Planet suitability" pedia entry clogs CPU

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Opening "Planet suitability" pedia entry clogs CPU

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Hi,

I think there is something wrong (efficiency-wise) in the calculation of the values that the "Planet suitability" pedia entry shows for a planet.

Often, when I click to open such entries (to check the expected populations of each of my species for a given planet) my system freezes for 2-3 secs (sometimes more) before opening that window. If then I close and open it again it responds immediately as normal. It may be that only new planets which I haven't checked before clog the system, but I would say that some of the times when this freezing happened it happened in a planet that had checked before (although new growth techs had been researched since first check). Checking a planet for first time not necessariry clogs the system.

This kind of short-time freezes are not that rare in many applications, and FO have me used to it too. But usually it happens when passing a turn and because of the serialization and saving in the background. I'm reporting this because for the past few weeks I only see these freezings when opening the mentioned pedia entry.

IMO this is a minor issue, not game-breaking at all, which requires no attention at the moment.

However, does this happen to anyone else or is it my own system and configuration the cause?

alleryn
Space Dragon

Re: Opening "Planet suitability" pedia entry clogs CPU

#2 Post by alleryn »

My suitability panel opens quite snappily.

dbenage-cx
Programmer

Re: Opening "Planet suitability" pedia entry clogs CPU

#3 Post by dbenage-cx »

I've noticed a delay recently as well, though maybe not as long.
I prepped a branch to improve readability with some performance improvement (pending resolution of more immediate bug fix), probably the largest gain is reduction in calls to ExpensiveParseFromTextToTextElements.