Auto-save problems

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

Auto-save problems

#1 Post by defaultuser »

I'm a couple revs back, 12/04 test. Several games have had a problem where auto-save doesn't work at all for that game. That's a problem because that means that Continue doesn't either. So if you close the game without making a specific save, it's all lost.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern. I can resign from a game, go to the Start screen and set up another game without closing the application, and have the new game not saving correctly. No error messages on the console.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Auto-save problems

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

defaultuser wrote:Several games have had a problem where auto-save doesn't work at all for that game.
What does "doesn't work at all" mean?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#3 Post by defaultuser »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
defaultuser wrote:Several games have had a problem where auto-save doesn't work at all for that game.
What does "doesn't work at all" mean?
It doesn't create any save files. Here's a screenshot from the game I started today. As you can see, the files in the auto directory are from the previous game. Continue will fail, something about the save file. I'm guessing that it tries to match the most recent auto file against current game and can't.

I didn't see any other reports of similar problems.
FOAS.jpg
FOAS.jpg (124.72 KiB) Viewed 1729 times

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

Regular save isn't working for this game either. That is, I go through the process, but no save file is in the save directory. That means that I can't send a save file. I will try changing the settings from/to text save files (not sure which it is now).

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Please attach a freeoriond.log from immediately after trying and failing to save manually.

If you look in the saves directory in the OS file browser, is a save file present? It probably won't show up in the game if it's not a valid save file, or if it can't read the valid save file due to not being able to allocate enough memory.

It may be that it's saving successfully, but just not able to load the save, so there's no error message about the save failing, but it doesn't show the save it can't load in the saves list. Manually switching to binary saves should resolve that.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#6 Post by defaultuser »

No save files are being created. I tried switching to binary and that didn't make any difference. The log file doesn't seem to update when I try a save. I just did one, the but log file still has a timestamp from earlier. It's also too big to attach. I will edit one down to the last bit.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

Here's the last few turns of the current game. I tried manual saves after each turn.
Attachments
FOlogd.txt
(247.2 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Also attach the client log from immediately after trying to save then...

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#9 Post by defaultuser »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Also attach the client log from immediately after trying to save then...
Ok. Had to cut it down again. All it says on all the saves, auto or user, is "Adding pending save to queue".
Attachments
freeorion.log
(275.13 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Set the client and server general log levels to trace, then try to initiate a save again, and post the logs.

Can you save if you start a new game, just not from a particular save file when trying to save it again?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#11 Post by defaultuser »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Set the client and server general log levels to trace, then try to initiate a save again, and post the logs.

Can you save if you start a new game, just not from a particular save file when trying to save it again?
I turned on tracing and attached log files from where it indicated that trace had started.

I'm not sure I understand the second question. Starting a new game is where it seems to happen. It's possible that starting a new one would start saving again, but then it might take a while for it to reoccur. It would of course end this game because I don't have a save for it. That's not that big of a deal.

Had a problem with one of the log files, I will work on its size and get them posted.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#12 Post by defaultuser »

The "d" log file is huge, and I don't know how much is useful in that. I'll start with the other and you can let me know about the other and where to cut it if it's needed.
Attachments
freeoriontrace.log
(171.98 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

Geoff the Medio

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

defaultuser wrote:The "d" log file is huge, and I don't know how much is useful in that.
Not much, but some of it. I'm looking for lines containing "(ServerFSM) WaitingForTurnEndIdle.SaveGameRequest"

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#14 Post by defaultuser »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
defaultuser wrote:The "d" log file is huge, and I don't know how much is useful in that.
Not much, but some of it. I'm looking for lines containing "(ServerFSM) WaitingForTurnEndIdle.SaveGameRequest"
Ok, I'll look at that when I get home tonight.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#15 Post by defaultuser »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Not finding that in freeoriond.log.