Species: Frankov

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Species: Frankov

#16 Post by Dilvish »

Thanks for clarifying, that gives us a much better starting point for thinking, and makes it seem more worthwhile to spend time looking over your script.

The thing that jumps out right away is at the very beginning,

Code: Select all

[color=#00BF00]
Is that actually part of your species file, or just something that snuck into the cut-and-paste in the post? If it's the former, delete it and try again.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by Oberlus »

It seems the "" thingy is just from editing the post here.

Mr. Tree, I would say there are more things to do to add a new species than just adding the new file. Searching in my installation for any word containing HUMAN (one of the species) I see this:

./buildings/colonies/col_bld_gen.py:30: ("SP_HUMAN", "icons/species/human.png"),
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:4: name = "BLD_COL_HUMAN"
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:5: description = "BLD_COL_HUMAN_DESC"
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:12: Species name = "SP_HUMAN"
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:35: tags = [ "SP_HUMAN" ]
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:40: Not Planet environment = Uninhabitable species = "SP_HUMAN"
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:41: Not Contains Building name = "BLD_COL_HUMAN"
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:45: Species name = "SP_HUMAN"
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:54: Not Planet environment = Uninhabitable species = "SP_HUMAN"
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:55: Not Contains Building name = "BLD_COL_HUMAN"
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:56: Not Enqueued type = Building name = "BLD_COL_HUMAN"
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:60: Species name = "SP_HUMAN"
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:66: [[LIFECYCLE_MANIP_POPULATION_EFFECTS("SP_HUMAN")]]
./buildings/colonies/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:80: tag = "species" data = "SP_HUMAN"
./README.md:52:* species/ - All in-game species definitions. **The *SP_HUMAN* definition
./species/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:2: name = "SP_HUMAN"
./species/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:3: description = "SP_HUMAN_DESC"
./species/SP_HUMAN.focs.txt:4: gameplay_description = "SP_HUMAN_GAMEPLAY_DESC"
./starting_unlocks/items.inf:27:Item type = Building name = "BLD_COL_HUMAN"

I'm just shooting blindly, because I don't know myself how to add a new species. However, did you add anything like a ./buildings/colonies/SP_FRANKOV.focs.txt file or modified something in the ./starting_unlocks/items.inf file?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#18 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus wrote:Mr. Tree, I would say there are more things to do to add a new species than just adding the new file. Searching in my installation for any word containing HUMAN (one of the species) I see this:
As far as I can see, everything you listed there which Mr Tree hasn't already said/shown is regarding the colony buildings, which are not truly necessary for adding a species. And in fact, I would recommend that he get the basic addition of the species working before he tries adding a colony building for it.
Mr. Tree wrote:I added the pedia code to the eng stringtables, the actuall species focs file to the scripting species file.
When you say added the species focs file to the "scripting species file", do you mean to the "default/scripting/species" folder(directory) (which we don't normally refer to as a "file")? Also please specify just what you named your file, including extension (I don't recall at the moment whether the extension matters, but may as well get your full info).

It could be possible that they spawn in the map naturally however i have no idea if they do.( however I doubt this)
If they were properly parsed you should be able to find them in the Pedia. To be sure, I would check the Galaxy-Homeworlds pedia page, and see if they are listed either in the upper section for species that are actually in that galaxy, or in the lower section for species that the game knows of but that didn't happen to be in that galaxy. Since you specified them as both Playable and Native they should be listed as an option to play when you start a game. But FYI, I don't think we have any other species listed as both. Although it appears to me that it should be possible to designate them as both, while you are debugging this you might want to comment out the "Native" line.
(It might have to do with this being a test build, I don’t know, I’m not a programmer, i just made what I could)
No, shouldn't have anything to do with the test build. Try checking your freeorion.log log file and searching for all occurrences of "error" (or maybe specifically "ParseError" might work) and seeing if you find anything pertinent.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#19 Post by dbenage-cx »

The macros AVERAGE_WEAPONS and VERY_BAD_STEALTH do not exist.
You can drop AVERAGE_WEAPONS, and either change to BAD_STEALTH or modify scripting/species/common/stealth.macros and add VERY_BAD_STEALTH.

Once it is selectable on the startup screen, as Oberius notes you will need a colony building as well(and a startup unlock) e.g. Tutorial - Species

Running the game from the console will help to quickly see if there are errors from parsing, these also show up in the log file as Dilvish notes if that is preferrable or console is not feasible Tutorial - Troubleshooting
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

Mr. Tree
Space Krill

#20 Post by Mr. Tree »

Ok thanks,
So color was not actually in the code, I tried to highlight the code in green when I posted on the thread- so that’s not it ( thanks for noticing though)
As far as I can see, everything you listed there which Mr Tree hasn't already said/shown is regarding the colony buildings, which are not truly necessary for adding a species. And in fact, I would recommend that he get the basic addition of the species working before he tries adding a colony building for it.

As for other files no, Other then the code/files I provided, nothing else was changed, I didn’t think I would have to edit the buildings and ships in, to at least have it show up in the pedia ( which is my main concern right now)

When you say added the species focs file to the "scripting species file", do you mean to the "default/scripting/species" folder(directory) (which we don't normally refer to as a "file")? Also please specify just what you named your file, including extension (I don't recall at the moment whether the extension matters, but may as well get your full info).

Yes- default/scripting/species, file was named SP_FRANKOV.focs
(Maybey specify what you mean by extensions, not sure i know what that means if you mean other files then there are none other than the png)

dbenage-cx wrote:The macros AVERAGE_WEAPONS and VERY_BAD_STEALTH do not exist.
You can drop AVERAGE_WEAPONS, and either change to BAD_STEALTH or modify scripting/species/common/stealth.macros and add VERY_BAD_STEALTH.

Once it is selectable on the startup screen, as Oberius notes you will need a colony building as well(and a startup unlock) e.g. Tutorial - Species

Stealth- Ah ok thanks, didn’t know that, I’ll try it
Thanks for the link

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#21 Post by Ophiuchus »

Mr. Tree wrote:default/scripting/species, file was named SP_FRANKOV.focs
It needs to be named SP_FRANKOV.focs.txt
(the other are also named .focs.txt, probably windows hides that...)

You can also start from command line, you probably see more error output when you start the game.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Mr. Tree
Space Krill

#22 Post by Mr. Tree »

It needs to be named SP_FRANKOV.focs.txt
(the other are also named .focs.txt, probably windows hides that...)

You can also start from command line, you probably see more error output when you start the game.
It was a text file.
anyways

I FIGURED IT OUT :)
Turns out it was only the [[AVERAGE_WEAPONS]] and [[VERY_BAD_STEALTH]] part that was causing it to not show up in the game. When I changed it to [[BAD_STEALTH]] and deleted [[AVERAGE_WEAPONS]] it worked. So dbenage-cx was right. It was playable. there were some other thing I noticed like I misspelled FRANKOV i some places and forgot to set planet tolerance to broad in some places. But it works. Didn't have to change the colony ship files or anything else. It worked as any other playable species would.

However, Now that I see it in the game I see( and I think most would agree) that I have made them way too overpowered. So if you guys have any suggestions on how to nerf them (in a way that fits their description) that would be great. ( I'm thinking probably weaker research, stockpile to just be GOOD with a tech unlock rather than GREAT- 1000, maybe weaker pilots, possibly actually make them have really bad stealth by adding it to the macros )

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by Oberlus »

Good industry plus broad tolerance is good to early expansion, couple with average research and good defense troops it's kinda powerful in huge galaxies with enemy empires starting far away.
Good industry plus good offensive troops and average research is good for early invasions, which is powerful in densely packed galaxies.
In both cases, great stockpile can help speed up some processes for bad supply situations.
Bad stealth is mostly irrelevant right now, not a real drawback.
Overall, a good-for-everything species, yes, a bit OP. I think it is clearly better than George, for example. And maybe on par with the OP Scylor.

I would add in two of these modifications:
- Bad research to compensate for the good industry, and it could fit in their description. Or stick to the average research and downgrade industry to average too.
- Bad supply goes well with great stockpiling, or you could give them only good stockpiling.
- Finally, bad pilots?