FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.8 roadmap
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:51 am 
Release Manager, Design

We have finally managed to clear/finish all release blocking issues and PRs, there are no entries left in the "v0.4.8 (mandatory)" milestone. Which means we can proceed with getting out RC1.

As Marcel wants to fix some of the bugs assigned to the optional milestone, and there is also another (optional) bugfix Dilvish wants to get in, I want to give them at least a few days for that. So, my suggestion is to set the deadline for RC1 to Thursday next week, June 14th, 1pm UTC. Is that ok? Or should I give it a few more days (until Sunday 17th maybe)? Marcel? Dilvish? Geoff?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:04 pm 
Programming, Design, Admin

Presumably I also need to compile a changelog. Might have time this weekend...

For that, various contributors' notable key feature suggestions would be helpful, as usual focusing on major player-visible changes, not effort involved in implementation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:22 pm 
Programmer

Vezzra wrote:
So, my suggestion is to set the deadline for RC1 to Thursday next week, June 14th, 1pm UTC. Is that ok? Or should I give it a few more days (until Sunday 17th maybe)? Marcel? Dilvish? Geoff?

Do whatever you seem fit. I'm just trying cram in some of the easy, old and low probability of breaking issues.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:54 pm 
Release Manager, Design

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Presumably I also need to compile a changelog.
Oh, oops, sorry, that totally slipped my mind. :oops: Yes, of course, please, if you could take over that task again, that would be great.
Quote:
For that, various contributors' notable key feature suggestions would be helpful, as usual focusing on major player-visible changes, not effort involved in implementation.
Aside from the obvious (Imperial Stockpile) nothing comes to my mind immediately, but I'll try to find the time to look over the closed/merged issues/PRs myself this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 pm 
Release Manager, Design

adrian_broher wrote:
Do whatever you seem fit. I'm just trying cram in some of the easy, old and low probability of breaking issues.
Ok, in that case I'll stick with the coming Thursday date. So that's decided (unless something comes up of course).

So these are the deadlines for RC1 and (assuming we don't need a RC2) declaring the release:

• Release Candidate 1: June 14th, 1pm UTC. Everything that should be cherry picked, changelog updates etc. need to go in until that time.
  • Declaring the release: June 28th, 1pm UTC. I want to give at least two weeks of playtesting for the first release candidate. Especially since there might have been less playtesting these last months than usual.

The release management issue has been updated accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:35 pm 

Vezzra wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:
Presumably I also need to compile a changelog.
Oh, oops, sorry, that totally slipped my mind. :oops: Yes, of course, please, if you could take over that task again, that would be great.
adrian_broher, you've previously made a dump of the commit messages since the last release, and if you could make that again it would be helpful. I can easily find the commits since about the time of the last release, but I'm not sure how to deal with commits merged after the release but actually made before it, as they make finding a cutoff for when to start looking through the commit messages more difficult...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:10 pm 
Programmer

Geoff the Medio wrote:
adrian_broher, you've previously made a dump of the commit messages since the last release, and if you could make that again it would be helpful. I can easily find the commits since about the time of the last release, but I'm not sure how to deal with commits merged after the release but actually made before it, as they make finding a cutoff for when to start looking through the commit messages more difficult...

Try:

Code:
 git log --no-merges v0.4.7...release-v0.4.8

There will be duplicates from the v0.4.7 branch, but not many.

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/adri ... v0.4.8.txt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:30 pm 
Release Manager, Design

After glancing over all the closed issues and PRs of the 0.4.8 milestones (both mandatory and optional), the most prominent changes seem to be: Imperial Stockpile, Game Rules, AI improvements, UI improvements (the Ship Design screen in particular), mulitplayer improvements, and maybe also the autosave at end of turn change and the new Concede option? Not sure if the last two are important enough, but I thought I should at least mention them.

AI improvements: there have been several, @AI team, what would you list as the most important ones?

UI improvements: looks like there have been quite some smaller and bigger additions/changes, like the improved handling of overlapping fleetbuttons, the ability to dismiss sensor ghosts, the "blockaded" indicator for fleets, useful new sitreps (incoming enemy ships, fuel going from <0 to >=1). The Ship design screen in particular seems to have received some love, the ability to edit and delete saved ship designs from within FO maybe the most noteable. And I've certainly missed a few (or more than just a few) things on that front.

Mulitplayer improvements: mostly our mulitplayer faction has contributed here: hostless server, role-based authorization, the ability to join a game as observer or moderator, and the Multiplayer Lobby also has been improved (although, the latter probably belongs in the UI improvements category). I probably missed a few things here too.

And finally some changes to gameplay/game elements/mechanics: that fuel parts now auto-upgrade, engines got limited to one per ship, and the automatic allocation of unused RPs. Again, not sure if those are really important enough to count as key changes, but I thought I'll mention them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:59 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

Vezzra wrote:
@AI team, what would you list as the most important ones?
Here is my first pass. Could be some of this is more minor than what you want to list. A lot of this could be collapsed into simply "Fixed & Improved AI planning in many areas." @Morlic, if you can please double check if you think I've missed something, or if it could be better phrased, or if you think we shouldn't bother mentioning some of this.

improved exploration
Coordinated invasion troop movement with attack fleets
significantly improved movement planning in general
improved invasion planning
improved combat planning
fixed bugs with colonization planning
increased AI limit on number of colonies (based on aggression setting)
support for GasGiant colonization
improved awareness of stealth and detection issues
improved colonization planning
fixed AI use of growth focus
improved AI planetary focus planning
reprioritize various buildings and techs
improvements to ShipDesignerAI
basic use of Imperial Stockpile
misc bugfixes and general code cleanup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 am 
Space Kraken

Vezzra wrote:
Mulitplayer improvements: mostly our mulitplayer faction has contributed here: hostless server, role-based authorization, the ability to join a game as observer or moderator, and the Multiplayer Lobby also has been improved (although, the latter probably belongs in the UI improvements category). I probably missed a few things here too.

There were also chat improvements, password authentication, player reconnection, option to concede and victory condition for last players.

Donates are welcome: BTC:14XLekD9ifwqLtZX4iteepvbLQNYVG87zK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:25 am 
AI Contributor

Quote:
@Morlic, if you can please double check if you think I've missed something, or if it could be better phrased, or if you think we shouldn't bother mentioning some of this.

I tried to keep an updated list of AI changes not related to refactoring / internal stuff during this cycle (probably not entirely complete). It is more specific/detailed than your list but seems to cover mostly the same things:
Quote:
  • Added AI support for stockpile mechanics
  • Added AI support for new species sly
  • The AI will now consider refuel mechanics when calculating fleet routes
  • The AI will now circumvent blockaded systems with unarmed ships
  • The AI will now send scouts to nearby unexplored systems rather than the one closest to its capital
  • The AI will now consider canceling colony buildings if a better species becomes available
  • Improved AI fleet management during invasions
  • Improved AI estimation of troops required for an invasion
  • Improved AI usage of growth focus
  • Improved AI early game priorities
  • Improved AI interaction with stealthed planets
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the AI from switching to growth focus
  • Fixed a bug where the AI would assign an incorrect focus for a species without research focus
  • Fixed a bug where the AI would incorrectly switch between research and industry focus too often
  • Fixed a bug where the AI would try to colonize uninhabitable planets with self-sustaining species
  • Fixed a bug where the AI would continue to build outpost bases for planets that were already colonized
  • Fixed a bug where the AI would let scouts idle while there were still valid exploration targets
  • Fixed a bug where the AI would issue duplicate orders after loading a game
  • Fixed various errors that could sometimes occur after loading a savegame
  • Fixed various bugs in the AI assessment of a planet's value
  • Closed some AI security vulnerabilities

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:33 am 

That AI list is much too long for key changes. Please summarize in one to three bullet points.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:04 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

Geoff the Medio wrote:
That AI list is much too long for key changes. Please summarize in one to three bullet points.
OK well I think I already gave that level of summary in the same post:

Fixed & Improved AI planning in many areas.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:59 pm 

adrian_broher wrote:
There will be duplicates from the v0.4.7 branch, but not many.
I'm finding quite a lot of entries that I've added to the notes are duplicates of stuff already in the previous release notes. Thus took a while longer to get past the first month or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:11 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

To note here, Geoff had inquired about the "Make medium and larger krill swarms not stealthy"from 0.4.7 and I think that we still hadn't really done anything about the concerns that led us to add it then, so I've added it to 0.4.8 project proposals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next