FreeOrion

Forums for the FreeOrion project
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: 0.4.8 roadmap
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:50 pm 
Release Manager, Design

As the fixes that have gone in for the pop effects priorities stuff apparently will need some playtesting to figure out how game balance has been affected and probably going to need further adjustments to fix resulting balance problems, as well as having two mandatory and two optional PRs (that would still be nice to have in 0.4.8 though) pending, making RC2 tomorrow (Monday) is most likely not a reasonable option.

So, tomorrow builds will again be pre-RC2 test builds, and RC2 cannot happen before Friday (won't have time until then). Some feedback here about a reasonable estimate of when RC2 could be ready would be welcome. For the time being the deadline for RC2 is still "to be determined". I'm having a hard time trying to guess how long it might take to get the remaining stuff done...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:04 pm 
Release Manager, Design

It took us a month, but finally it looks like we've addressed all the issues that popped up with RC1. The last release blocking bugs have been fixed, and only two more fixes are left that have been proposed for cherry picking into the release branch: PR#2200 and PR#2202. Both seem to be ready (or almost ready) to go in, so I decided to set a deadline for RC2: Friday, 13th, 1pm UTC (and no, we won't have any silly jokes about that date, thank you very much). The deadline for declaring the release has been set to Sunday, July 22nd, 1pm UTC.

To the people working on these PRs: please try to get them finished until Thursday. If that's not possible, but you want them in 0.4.8, give me an estimate on how long it will take you to finish them, so I can adjust the deadlines accordingly.

The release management issue has been updated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 pm 
Release Manager, Design

I've put up a PR with some final updates to the changelog: PR#2212. Whoever can spare the time, please review.

PR#2200 has been merged and cherry picked, which only leaves PR#2202 still open of those which have been suggested for inclusion into 0.4.8. As this fixes a merely cosmetic bug, I don't intend to delay RC2 if it doesn't go in and get cherry picked in time. But of course it would be nice to have it in the release, so if you could finish this, you still got some hours left. When you merge the PR, it would be good if you could do the cherry picking also, in case conflicts occur (which I'm ill fitted to resolve).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 am 
AI Lead, Programmer

Vezzra wrote:
PR#2200 ... would be nice to have it in the release....
Done

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 am 
Release Manager, Design

Excellent, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:26 pm 
Release Manager, Design

Ok, we finally did it. RC2 is out. Happy playtesting!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:10 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

In PR 2193 Fix compatibility with boost 1.67.0
adrian_broher wrote:
should go in as-is. Also this should be cherry-picked to 0.4.8.

This does look worth at least considering taking some extra days (or a week or two if needed) for an RC3 so that 0.4.8 could be compatible with boost 1.67, since some Linux distros do appear to be running with 1.67 now (most notably Arch, and it looks semi-supported by Ubuntu 18.10), and many others will surely have moved to it before we come out with FO 0.4.9 (and perhaps even before we put out a 0.4.8.1)

If we did that, then PR 2214 appears to represent a cleanup of an old workaround; while the PR appears not truly necessary at this time, it might still be prudent/worthwhile to include.

And then we should probably at least consider the issue raised about the still-under-development boost 1.68-- hopefully this will soon get its own Issue and PR, but right now it is raised as a comment in an otherwise closed Issue. It's not 100% clear to me that jbeich has a full fix for this yet, and of course since boost 1.68 is still underdevelopment additional problems could still arise in the future, but if his fix were sufficient to make FO 0.4.8 fully compatible with the current state of boost 1.68, and he promptly submitted a PR for that, then I think we should strongly consider cherry picking it as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 am 
Release Manager, Design

PR#2193 and PR#2214 have been merged and cherry picked to the release branch. RC3 has been scheduled for Thursday, July 19th, 1pm UTC. Please get everything that should go in ready until then (or better until tomorrow, Wednesday, if possible, so there is enough time for cherry picking). Currently that's only PR#2217, which should be doable, I hope.

If you need more time, please post a request here.

Declaring the release has been rescheduled for Monday, July 23rd, 1pm UTC. That's only one day more than the last deadline (July 22nd), but I figured that the fixes that went in since RC2 (which only fixed issues with very recent/still in development boost versions and are very simple) won't require that much more playtesting. The only thing that might require a bit of additional playtesting is PR#2217, and for that the extra day should be sufficient.

If anyone thinks that we should give RC3 a bit more time, feel free to voice your opinion here. I won't object against delaying declaring the release, just be aware that if we decide to do this, we'll have to delay at least until Sunday, July 29th. I can't promise to have enough time for FO before then to do all the declaring release stuff.

The release management issue has been updated accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm 
AI Lead, Programmer

I've also just posted #2220, which I think is a simple and safe fix, of a relatively rare issue but still worth getting into RC3 I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 pm 
Release Manager, Design

Dilvish wrote:
I've also just posted #2220, which I think is a simple and safe fix, of a relatively rare issue but still worth getting into RC3 I think.
Ok with me. Just make sure you get #2220 and #2217 in or let me know if I shall postpone RC3 in time.

However, if we postpone RC3, I'd have to delay declaring the release at least until July 29th.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 am 
Release Manager, Design

As #2217, #2220 and now also #2221, all of which have been proposed for inclusion into 0.4.8, are still pending, I've decided to postpone RC3. #2221 especially might need more time (see the discussion in the comment section).

The question now is, until when shall we delay RC3? I can offer these dates, on which I most likely will have time for making a new release candidate: July 22nd, July 27th, July 29th (as I have suggested in the comment section of #2221). Unless it's really necessary, I don't want to delay RC3 beyond July 29th.

So, what shall it be?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:24 pm 
Programming, Design, Admin

Vezzra wrote:
So, what shall it be?
At this point, I think as soon as the required stuff is ready, the next available date is fine... Not sure how far ahead you want to fix a date, though...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:32 pm 
Release Manager, Design

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Not sure how far ahead you want to fix a date, though...
Usually two to three days minimum, so people have a chance to react/object.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6