Testers needed: Linux installer preview

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Yoghurt
Programmer

Testers needed: Linux installer preview

#1 Post by Yoghurt »

Edit: It is known that the binary the installer installs does not work on many platforms. So there is no need for further testing at the moment.

I'm uploading the preview of the linux installer right now. At around 1600 UTC you should be able to download it here (38 MB). Please test it if it works on your system, as I needed to make a few changes to the entire FO codebase (it does not rely anymore on being started from the directory that contains default/ and stores savegames and config seperately for each user)

Please note that the installer does not really check for all of the required libs. It only checks for gigi and installs it automatically if needed.

Everything else you will need to have already installed, like
  • boost 1.32 (not 1.33)
  • FMOD (not FMOD-EX)
  • SDL
  • SDLnet
  • Freetype
  • Graphviz
These checks will be included in the final, but I first need to make sure FO itself is working.

To install, make the .package file executable:

Code: Select all

chmod +x freeorion-0.3.x86.package
and then just start it.

This package should work on older, gcc 3.3 distributions as well as gcc 3.4 based distributions.

To uninstall, execute

package remove freeorion
if gigi was not installed on your system, remove it as well

package remove libgigi
If you want to get rid of Autopackage itself (not really necessary; more and more software is provided in .packages), do

package remove autopackage-gtk autopackage
(It may be necessary to replace -gtk by -qt, just execute "package list" to see the list of installed packages, every package must be removed before the (invisible) autopackage itself can be removed)
Last edited by Yoghurt on Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#2 Post by Yoghurt »

Found a bug. Uploading new version, please be sure the installer says "PREVIEWINSTALLER2"

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#3 Post by leiavoia »

I just wanted to make you aware that i've upgraded (unknowingly) to GCC 4.0.1-2 (debian). It's already broken some of my personal code and i would probably have a really hard time trying to fight debian's packaging system and "downgrade" GCC. As such, while i would be happy to test the installer, i want to know the code will compile on GCC 4.x first. Please let me know if that is going to be possible. Thanks.

Is it possible to have GCC 3.x and 4.x on the same system?

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Impaler »

Cool an Instaler just what I need :D

I'm wondering though will it be possible to create an all inclusive "idiot proof" package that will cover all the dependences and give us super easy instalation?
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Yoghurt
Programmer

#5 Post by Yoghurt »

leiavoia wrote:I just wanted to make you aware that i've upgraded (unknowingly) to GCC 4.0.1-2 (debian). It's already broken some of my personal code and i would probably have a really hard time trying to fight debian's packaging system and "downgrade" GCC.
Add the corresponding snapshot.debian.net line in your /etc/apt/sources.list and use pinning. Google for APT pinning. Or, even easier, after adding the snapshot line, run aptitude, select gcc and g++ and press capital V to see the available versions and mark the wanted one for installing by pressing "+" (after editing sources.list you will have to update the package database, press "u" (small u) in aptitude to do this)
As such, while i would be happy to test the installer, i want to know the code will compile on GCC 4.x first. Please let me know if that is going to be possible. Thanks.
Yes, I'm running Debian SID here. There was a broken veresion 4.0.1-7 in Debian that failed to compile boost. However, this is now fixed.
Is it possible to have GCC 3.x and 4.x on the same system?
Yes, though you might run into problems if mixing 3.3 with 3.4 and above (4.0) as the ABI changed and libraries compiled with 3.3 will not link with 3.4 programs and vice-versa.

However, this is a binary installer I'm providing, not a source release!
Last edited by Yoghurt on Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#6 Post by Yoghurt »

Impaler wrote:Cool an Instaler just what I need :D

I'm wondering though will it be possible to create an all inclusive "idiot proof" package that will cover all the dependences and give us super easy instalation?
Yes, I'm working on that, but before this, I want to make sure FO itself runs.

The all-in-one installer will be missing FMOD, as you are not allowed to re-distribute it. Another reason to switch to a free alternative in the near time.

muxec
Space Kraken

#7 Post by muxec »

Can you please post links to all required libs download pages?

Running Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 sid, kernel version is 2.6.11, gcc 4.0.2.

Failed have I.
rpm: To install rpm packages on Debian systems, use alien. See README.Debian.
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
rpm: To install rpm packages on Debian systems, use alien. See README.Debian.
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
Refreshing linker cache, please wait ... done
Later
Checking for required C library versions ... OK
Checking for GiGi ... failed
-------------------------------
Error: Could not find 'GiGi'. Try using the native package manager for (apt) to install a package with similar name to 'libgigi'.

Error: Unable to prepare package FreeOrion PREVIEWINSTALLER2 0.3.
Does it really autoinstall gigi? Did I understand the first post correctly?

Yoghurt
Programmer

#8 Post by Yoghurt »

muxec wrote:Running Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 sid, kernel version is 2.6.11, gcc 4.0.2.
Add "deb http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/ pool boost" to your sources.list. then run

aptitude update
aptitude install libboost-{filesystem,graph,signals}1.32.0c2 libsdl1.2debian-all  libsdl-net1.2 libdevil1c2 libfreetype6 liblog4cpp1c102
Then download
http://www.fmod.org/files/fmodapi40200linux.tar.gz, extract it, and copy the .so file to /usr/local/lib and run ldconfig
Does it really autoinstall gigi? Did I understand the first post correctly?
freeorion-0.3.x86.package contains libgigi-0.6.x86.package and will install it if gigi is not found.

Edit: ...or at least it should... and it does on my machine.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#9 Post by Yoghurt »

Aha! Stupid autopackage stores the symlink instead of the real file. Uploading fixed version, titled "PREVIEWINSTALLER3". Will be uploaded at around 1800 UTC

muxec
Space Kraken

#10 Post by muxec »

Please use small xdelta instead of large file if possible.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#11 Post by Yoghurt »

Too late :(

But as even rsync cannot speed things up this time, xdiff probably would not have helped. I will, however upload libgigi-0.6.x86.package seperately, so you can just download that instead (the only difference between 2 and 3 is that 3 contains this file)

muxec
Space Kraken

#12 Post by muxec »

Corrupt file only 2MB

Yoghurt
Programmer

#13 Post by Yoghurt »

That why I said "it will be uploaded at 1800 UTC", now its 1705 UTC. I only have 12 kB/s upstream, so uploading takes an hour.

muxec
Space Kraken

#14 Post by muxec »

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:05 pm

Yoghurt
Programmer

#15 Post by Yoghurt »

Oh damn! I forgot we're not in daylight savings time anymore :?

So it will be uploaded at 1900 UTC, sorry for the confusion.