Linux users: which Distribution are you running?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Which distribution will you be running FreeOrion on?

Debian Sarge (current stable)
3%
Debian testing/unstable
16%
ubuntu
27%
other Debian based (Knoppix etc)
No votes
SuSE
14%
Fedora Core
8%
Gentoo
24%
Mandriva
5%
Slackware
No votes
other (please tell which)
3%

Total votes: 37

Yoghurt
Programmer

Linux users: which Distribution are you running?

#1 Post by Yoghurt »

I would like to get an overview of the distributions we should provide packages for, so please tell me what distribution you are using. If I forgot any, please post the name of your distribution.

Please post the version of your distribution, too. I do not want to make a list consisting of "SuSE 8.0" "SuSE 8.1", "SuSE 9.0" etc.

Oh, and if you are willing to create a package for your distro (I can only provide .debs for Debian), please let me know.

muxec
Space Kraken

#2 Post by muxec »

Currently running SuSE 10.0, but maybe I'll revert to Debian testing/unstable.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#3 Post by leiavoia »

I'm running Debian Testing but i think they just recently officially upgraded, didn't they? I've stopped regularly updating the entire system because updates sometimes save over customized config files and can trash my rocksolid setup. So unless i need new software, i don't really upgrade anymore. I'd rather just work with what i've got that i know for sure works.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#4 Post by Yoghurt »

leiavoia wrote:I've stopped regularly updating the entire system because updates sometimes save over customized config files and can trash my rocksolid setup.
Well, that's what stable is for. Only security updates, and guaranteed to leave your setup alone and not change any behaviour at all.

BTW: Debian Sarge was released in July, IIRC.

quork
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by quork »

ubuntu >=breezy
debian testing
----------------
I think that providing autopackage resolves RPM based distros :)

Yoghurt
Programmer

#6 Post by Yoghurt »

quork wrote: I think that providing autopackage resolves RPM based distros :)
Of course it would. Only that the binary does not work and probably never will due to incompatible C++ ABIs :(
This is one of the few things Windows can do better than Linux.

muxec
Space Kraken

#7 Post by muxec »

Yoghurt wrote:
Of course it would. Only that the binary does not work and probably never will due to incompatible C++ ABIs :(
[noobspeak]
Are there any compatibility layer libraries?
[/noobspeak]

Yoghurt
Programmer

#8 Post by Yoghurt »

muxec wrote:Are there any compatibility layer libraries?
Nope, because it's impossible. ABI, not API

See here what wikipedia has to say about ABIs.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#9 Post by Yoghurt »

OK, I will try to provide .debs for Debian sarge and unstable, hope they run under ubuntu

All others will have to compile from source; we need to get FO 0.3 out of the door ASAP.

Wolverine
Space Floater

#10 Post by Wolverine »

Yoghurt wrote:
I thought autopackage has automatic resolving of ld dependencies. But you have to substitute dlopen() with autopackage provided function in the FO code.
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)

Yoghurt
Programmer

#11 Post by Yoghurt »

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with this.

The problem is the following:
Suppose (theoretically) strings were stored in the 1.02 ABI as "length, bytes, bytes, ..." (for example : "9FreeOrion"), the ABI version 2 of g++ now stores them as word, word, word,... ("F_r_e_O_r_i_o_n_") - now imagine a function compiled with Version 2 calls a function in a library compiled with version 1 that takes a string as argument. the function expects "9Freeorion" but gets the other -> crash.

There might be a way to work around all that, but that is stuff for 0.31, at the moment, I'm preparing deb packages, as 0.3 must be out soon. If the debs are finished, I might take another look at the autopackage.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#12 Post by leiavoia »

You might want to check this out:

http://www.bitrock.com/products_install ... rview.html

It's free for opensource projects.

muxec
Space Kraken

#13 Post by muxec »

Yoghurt wrote:
muxec wrote:Are there any compatibility layer libraries?
Nope, because it's impossible. ABI, not API

See here what wikipedia has to say about ABIs.
How happens that binaries from Loki work on all platforms?

Wolverine
Space Floater

#14 Post by Wolverine »

Yoghurt wrote:Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with this.

The problem is the following:
Suppose (theoretically) strings were stored in the 1.02 ABI as "length, bytes, bytes, ..." (for example : "9FreeOrion"), the ABI version 2 of g++ now stores them as word, word, word,... ("F_r_e_O_r_i_o_n_") - now imagine a function compiled with Version 2 calls a function in a library compiled with version 1 that takes a string as argument. the function expects "9Freeorion" but gets the other -> crash.

There might be a way to work around all that, but that is stuff for 0.31, at the moment, I'm preparing deb packages, as 0.3 must be out soon. If the debs are finished, I might take another look at the autopackage.
Ok. Now I understand. However I still think that I have seen somewhere in the documentation that autopackage takes care of such things. AFAIK autopackage was made to be the system independent 3rd-party package manager and they've takes care of most problems that could arise from this independancy.

If it's not your priority, no problem. I have CVS code regularly updated. However the latest CVS is broken as hell.
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)

Yoghurt
Programmer

#15 Post by Yoghurt »

Wolverine wrote:Ok. Now I understand. However I still think that I have seen somewhere in the documentation that autopackage takes care of such things.
Yes, but they also mention it doesn't really work for C++ projects.
However the latest CVS is broken as hell.
Then please, please, submit bug reports ASAP, as the CVS currently is identical with the upcoming 0.3 release