Search found 289 matches

by iamrobk
Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:30 am
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: Large Empires-How they break apart
Replies: 94
Views: 12603

I was reading a short story about a large empire attacking a small one. In the end, the large empires technology ended up killing themselves. Cool story.
by iamrobk
Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:10 pm
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: Ship Design: Stars! vs Moo vs SEIV
Replies: 183
Views: 16449

No offense to anyone, but I (and probably MANY others) don't want to spend more than a minute or two designing a ship.
by iamrobk
Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:05 pm
Forum: Graphics
Topic: My Ships
Replies: 16
Views: 5367

Well, it shouldn't really matter what modelling program anyone uses, as long as they can export to whatever format FO will use.
by iamrobk
Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:05 pm
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: Crews
Replies: 33
Views: 3517

Remember KISS, though.....we can't have it get too complex.
by iamrobk
Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:35 pm
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: Large Empires-How they break apart
Replies: 94
Views: 12603

I think that the further a plent is from yourn homeworld, the more unrest (or whatever unit we use) is added to the planet. Star Wars was kinda like this, where the fringe colonies were a lo more rebellious (like Tatooine or whatever).
by iamrobk
Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:50 pm
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: Crews
Replies: 33
Views: 3517

Me, too, I like the whole cadet system very much. Good idea there, Impaler. @ iamrobk 4. I think that you should be able to build military academys, which would increase the base stats of your soldiers. When they graduate and are assigned to ships/army units/whatevers, the average skill level of yo...
by iamrobk
Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:09 am
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: Should FO be geared toward AIs or MP?
Replies: 20
Views: 2546

Call me a cynic, but what is the point of this poll? If 100% of everyone on the brainstorming board said 'MP only,' it wouldn't change a thing. There are always people primarily interested in MP just as there are always people primarily interested in SP. How many of them are on these boards at any ...
by iamrobk
Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:39 am
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: What is the deal with starlanes?
Replies: 106
Views: 8738

I disagree with saying that starlanes definse territory. I don't see how they define territory, other than they can provide a chokepoint or something. If we want to define territory, we should go along with sectors int he game (there is a topic somewhere here.....).
by iamrobk
Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:33 am
Forum: Graphics
Topic: 0.3 graphics summary / sidepanel revision
Replies: 307
Views: 51117

Aaaah. I love it! Still misses those few icons and some finetuning to do, but generally I like it, and also you can start to see my suggestion for our theme - metal borders on big UI boxes, transparent turquise glass-like texture, curved, minimalistic and clear information boxes and buttons. Probapl...
by iamrobk
Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:06 am
Forum: Graphics
Topic: 0.3 graphics summary / sidepanel revision
Replies: 307
Views: 51117

Is that like 2 separate images placed on top of each other, or what? I don't get it..... :?
by iamrobk
Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:13 pm
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: Power: It's use in space combat
Replies: 25
Views: 2519

How about whatever power is left over is used in some equation to figure out how fast shields recharge or whatever? Maybe leftover power can be used to overload shields, or weapons.
by iamrobk
Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:39 pm
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: the effects of defeat
Replies: 22
Views: 2375

Well, what do we define as a major victory? What one player says is a near loss may be seen by another as a close engagement, and whatever. It can just get too complicated. I think i stated an answer to that in my initial post. Basically if you loose a good chunk of your fleet to an enemy fleet, th...
by iamrobk
Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:38 pm
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: many ships or fewer ships?
Replies: 128
Views: 9513

I just don't get the point of having the admiral......I mean, it's like we'll have it just to increase fleet points. I just....don't get the point. If we have an economic cap (like we probably will, since most everyone supports it), then an empire would probably not have "too many" ships in one loca...
by iamrobk
Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:35 am
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: the effects of defeat
Replies: 22
Views: 2375

the original suggestion was that only major victories losses would affect the morale, thereby generally doing away with feedback effects because you can't loose 90% of your fleet in a pitched battle that regularly (yes i know you could loose 90% of the remaining 10%, but that's easily coded against...
by iamrobk
Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:59 am
Forum: Other Game Design
Topic: Sectors (illustated with jpg)
Replies: 52
Views: 7093

I just gotta bump this up, since I think it's possibly the best idea that hasn't really been discussed much.....