Sword of the Stars demo

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#91 Post by marhawkman »

From what i know of the previous races....

i'll guess that tunnel drive creates a wormhole for instant travel. but the number of turns it takes to open the wormhole is a function of distance.
Computer programming is fun.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#92 Post by Moriarty »

utilae wrote:Ok, cool.

It is good that they are making a new race. Tunnel drive doesn't sound very unique though. I'd like to know more.

Maybe I could try this game when the expansion comes out.
True. But it can't be easy coming up with five different trans-stellar motion creation devices (i.e. star-drives) that all have to be balanced and work inside of the same game.

Personally I'm impressed by their patching - They're up to 1.2.2, but the most recent patch says "all known bugs fixed", which is quite a claim and one I suspect they don't say without some truth. Pls they've made a lot of smallish changes in the game too.

On the downside, it's a shame I'm not too keen on the gameplay. :(

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#93 Post by marhawkman »

Note: "KNOWN" :p makes me wonder how many they don't know about.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#94 Post by Zanzibar »

marhawkman wrote:Note: "KNOWN" :p makes me wonder how many they don't know about.
Actually as of 1.2.2 the game is very rock-solid and stable (even on vista), and most of the game play changes were added to further balance the races. I do rather like that each race has a unique style.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#95 Post by marhawkman »

hhmmmm so how does tunnel drive work?

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#96 Post by Daveybaby »

marhawkman wrote:Note: "KNOWN" :p makes me wonder how many they don't know about.
As we know, There are known knowns.
These are bugs we know we know about.

We also know there are known unknowns.
That is to say we know there are some bugs we do not know about.

But there are also unknown unknowns,
the bugs we don't know we don't know about.

source, paraphrased.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#97 Post by utilae »

Oh Dear

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#98 Post by marhawkman »

Cheesy but funny. :D

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#99 Post by Zanzibar »

marhawkman wrote:hhmmmm so how does tunnel drive work?
If you would like to know how game mechanics like this work, I would suggest reading the official sword of the stars forums. There are several developer's interviews, FAQs, etc... that explain all this.... Or, alternatively... you could read the SotS Wiki.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#100 Post by Moriarty »

I did note it - but having reported several bugs on their forums, it strikes me as likely that any un-known and thus un-resolved bugs must be very rarely enountered or very obscure. ;)

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

Re: Sword of the Stars demo

#101 Post by Zanzibar »

Yeah, the devs of this game are very active with thier board community, update the game fairly regularly, and squash most bugs within a reasonable amount of time. Heck, they just released the expansion, and about a month later should have a full content update ready that fixes the new bugs, and adds extra content (when they patch the game, they don't just fix bugs...) I really like the way kerberos does business :)

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#102 Post by Zanzibar »

Recently announced... expansion 2 with the cryptic acronym AMOC for the SotS game.

Strategyman
Space Squid

#103 Post by Strategyman »

ya i tried out the demo and loved the game on my tutorial also i think TARKAS PWN! And i'm going to buy the game soon and eventually get the expansion.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#104 Post by MikkoM »

Zanzibar wrote:The expansions definitely add elements the original game was lacking like trade and diplomacy... that's for sure!
I would like to know, what kind of diplomatic options Sword of the Stars with its expansions currently offer? The game seems quite interesting, but it would be nice to have at least some diplomatic options to balance the combat side of the game.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#105 Post by Zanzibar »

MikkoM wrote:
Zanzibar wrote:The expansions definitely add elements the original game was lacking like trade and diplomacy... that's for sure!
I would like to know, what kind of diplomatic options Sword of the Stars with its expansions currently offer? The game seems quite interesting, but it would be nice to have at least some diplomatic options to balance the combat side of the game.
Currently as of version 1.6.6b (mini-expansion Argos Naval Yard + possible update coming june 17th no later than), diplomacy is pretty simple... I like you, attack here, defend there, I hate you, etc... There are 4 levels of empire interaction... war, ceasefire (We won't shoot at each other at neutral planets, but we will still blow you up if you visit a colony), non-agression, and alliance. The game recognizes allied victory, so you don't have to break up you alliance to win (vanilla SotS this was the case). There is no galactic senate, there are no galactic "laws". Each race views the other races differently, and tends to react negatively or positively to different stimuli. For example, Liir would prefer if you didn't fight at all (not even your enemies!!), but tarka like you to have big fleets and shows of force. A demo that has most of the features of diplomacy that were added in Born of Blood can be found here.