Best Space Sim Out There

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Best XXX(X) TB space sim

Poll ended at Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:54 am

Master of Orion 3
11%
Galactic Civilizations
11%
Space Empires IV Gold
11%
Other
67%
XX what?
No votes

Total votes: 9

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#31 Post by utilae »

The Silent One wrote:In my opinion it was a great idea to have people icons instead of a pop number and some sliders, because it gave you the feeling of dealing with people and not just numbers. The icons (also the icons of the buildings) made perfectly clear how well-developed a colony was and it added a nice atmosphere.
As for the irrational food-farmer rate, I agree.
No way, it was micromanagement hell, I think sliders put in that section would have been alot better.

gb207
Space Krill

#32 Post by gb207 »

drek wrote:
axsaxs wrote: MOO2 is just too old to be confronted with today hits.
laff, what hits?

Anyway, Moo2 is only title that's even in the running for 4x space games. Not entirely relevant, but MoM is my favorite game from the Masters series, SMaCx my favorite general 4x game, EU2 my favorite computer strategy game.
My list is :
1 MOM - the best turn based game I have ever seen and I hope they assemble the original team to make MOM2.
2 SMAC
3 MOO2
4 Ascendancy - alien, haunting type music and heaps of strange alien races. Cool music for diplomacy with other races. Gives a small feeling of the vastness of space by making ships take sometimes 50 turns to get to another system.
5 GalCiv

I've never played MOO3 and I'll wait until it goes budget before I take a look at it.

EU2 - what is that?

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#33 Post by skdiw »

OceanMachine wrote: I remember the first time I saw the moo3 web site and read through their massive documents of planned features thinking that it was it was a phenomenally good design, but that I would crap my pants if they were actually able to accomplish everything they planned. If someone were actually able to accomplish all that was originally planned for moo3 I think they'd have the be-all, end-all of 4x gaming.
Totally agreed. That's why I rushed out there to get mine copy despite all the delays.

I just hope FO don't fall for the same trap and aim to get a beta out early so a whole bunch of us modders can work on it and bring suggestions. I don't care if the first version don't have any graphics or sounds but just a rough wireframe.

slingbld1619
Space Krill

#34 Post by slingbld1619 »

axsaxs wrote:MOO2 is just too old to be confronted with today hits.
I hafta disagree. The grafix are outdated butthe gameplay is still some of the best out there.

Roanon
Space Krill

#35 Post by Roanon »

MOO2 is still a classic and hardly matched. Even MOO1 has several good ideas that should not put aside just because the graphics is not "cool".

I prefer Space Empires IV though, playing vs. any AI is just too easy after several games. And SE IV has a great play-by-web support despite it being turn-based not some clickfeast realtime crap so popular on the web right now.

Lyx
Space Kraken

#36 Post by Lyx »

hmm, macromanaging and an orion-like game is a two-sided sword, imho.

I agree that it is desirable to make micromanagement as low possible, but as high as necessary. However, on thing which i loved about orion 1 and 2 was the touch of personality - from the race history and art, to the heroes/leaders to the planetary specials - it did give the game a kind of slight rpg-touch - with that i mean that although you were the leader of millions of people it wasn't impersonal and everything had "character" and individuality. Contrary to moo3, space empires, etc. which had more a kind of tabletop-character in a sense that it felt as if you were just moving numbers around.

I guess part of the reason why orion 1 and 2 felt different, was also the artwork (i'll write more about that in another thread) later.

discord
Space Kraken

#37 Post by discord »

well, i'll be truly controversial here....as i usualy am, *grin*.

the 'best' 4x strategy would Eve online.
now, most of you would prolly go 'what is that?' and those that dont, would prolly go 'wtf? that aint a strategy game, that some MMORPG crap!'
well, it IS a mmorpg, it is also a 'space sim' in the meaning of flying ships first hand...it also has the best economic system of ANY game i have ever seen...but that is not the parts i am thinking about when i say it is a 4x game.

#1 there is a definate eXplore factor.
#2 eXpand aswell
#3 eXploit the stupid is there, oh yes it is there alright.
and #4 eXterminate is definitly there.
and even the elusive #5 eXperience is very much of use.

it also has much in the way of 'macro' control, as there are large player controled(and manned) corporations....

the only part it 'falls' on your definition of 'strategy game' is actualy the turn based part, now there are ALSO a heavy rpg element, and quite alot of action aswell....but that does not change the fact that it has all the parts needed for a strategy game.

flaming may commence now.

//discord

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#38 Post by Ablaze »

Please explain how this economy system works and why it's so good.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

Pasi
Space Squid

#39 Post by Pasi »

I just canceled my EVE Online acount after playing it for ~4 months...

The economy system is truely good, but it's only because the market evolves all the time, and much of the market stuff is player made (or mined... anyone wanna buy 1,5 million veldspar before my account expires 10th day ;) )

But IMHO there isn't much ideas that can be used in such games as freeorion
I'm not a programmer... but I play one at Microsoft!

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#40 Post by Ablaze »

Still waiting for an explanation of the economy system and why it is so good. I can imagine using an economy based on player traded goods, and would like to know how a good one works.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Was at local

#41 Post by guiguibaah »

Was at the local EB Games today. Moo2 was for sale for 14.99 in it's classic packed CD rom set. The next shelf across the isle was Moo3, selling for 9.99 in it's box.

First time I've ever seen a prequel cost more than it's sequel :)
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Was at local

#42 Post by utilae »

guiguibaah wrote:Was at the local EB Games today. Moo2 was for sale for 14.99 in it's classic packed CD rom set. The next shelf across the isle was Moo3, selling for 9.99 in it's box.

!!!LOL!!!

noelte
Juggernaut

#43 Post by noelte »

And what did moo cost? 12.99?
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

Re: Was at local

#44 Post by LithiumMongoose »

guiguibaah wrote:Was at the local EB Games today. Moo2 was for sale for 14.99 in it's classic packed CD rom set. The next shelf across the isle was Moo3, selling for 9.99 in it's box.

That's a truly wonderful gem of a report, right there.