Best Space Sim Out There

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Best XXX(X) TB space sim

Poll ended at Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:54 am

Master of Orion 3
11%
Galactic Civilizations
11%
Space Empires IV Gold
11%
Other
67%
XX what?
No votes

Total votes: 9

axsaxs
Space Krill

Best Space Sim Out There

#1 Post by axsaxs »

What do you think is "at the moment" (so that MOO2 is obsolete) the best Space (turn based) XXX(X) sim in the market?

I played MOO3, Space Empires IV and GalCiv. I like some aspects from all of them, but Space Empires to me has something "more"...
Alessio "axsaxs" Saltarin
UI Programmers Team

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#2 Post by utilae »

Moo2 will always be better, until FreeOrion is complete (lets hope).

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by Tyreth »

Heh, the only one I've played is Moo3 and didn't like that :)

Maybe you should extend the date a bit - include SMAC :)

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#4 Post by Nightfish »

Huh? Where are MoO2 and SMAC? My vote would go to either of those.

axsaxs
Space Krill

#5 Post by axsaxs »

Nightfish wrote:Huh? Where are MoO2 and SMAC? My vote would go to either of those.
Well, IMO, SMAC it's a CIV clone, not properly Space Sim Strategy. MOO2 is just too old to be confronted with today hits. (Even if I agree that MOO2 is definetely better than MOO3).
Alessio "axsaxs" Saltarin
UI Programmers Team

Nightfish

#6 Post by Nightfish »

As far as I am concerned MoO2 can stand up to most of today's games, simply because most of today's games are pretty badly done. You're probably right that SMAC isn't really a space 4X game, but it is an awesome 4X game. I for one like it a lot better than all of the other Civ-like games.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#7 Post by drek »

axsaxs wrote: MOO2 is just too old to be confronted with today hits.
laff, what hits?

Anyway, Moo2 is only title that's even in the running for 4x space games. Not entirely relevant, but MoM is my favorite game from the Masters series, SMaCx my favorite general 4x game, EU2 my favorite computer strategy game.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by utilae »

I voted other (Moo2).

burndaddy
Krill Swarm

another MoM fan

#9 Post by burndaddy »

that was the single best thing about moo2 for me -- seeing Mystic X in there again... by far my favorite hero from MoM, except maybe for that gold guy (aureus? was that his name?)

OceanMachine
Pupating Mass

#10 Post by OceanMachine »

I voted for moo3. I now submit myself to whipped on the public square :D
Programming Lead

Nightfish

#11 Post by Nightfish »

Well, there's one thing I can say, OceanMachine: You have guts ;)

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#12 Post by Tyreth »

Or share the secret to enjoying that game :)

OceanMachine
Pupating Mass

#13 Post by OceanMachine »

The way I play it is to use the macro controls and AI management to control all of the civil infrastructure and build queue and micro the military build queue (because the AI is so utterly incompetent in that regard). I don't micro tech development, and let the AI control battles (though I watch and use the general retreat button as needed). As the game gets to the later phases and you have 50+ planets that still gets to be quite a lot of micromanagement, which I think is the biggest flaw to the game. I've got a game now around turn 140 that takes me 10 minutes per turn, which, to me, is too long. Then there's all the delays and bugs and crappy response from the developers/publishers.

But I generally like the interface, I like the tech system, I like the fleet system, and think the battles are pretty cool too (although the controls suck enough that I have to leave it on autopilot). The colonization (both marking planets and the auto-controlled colonizing) is cool. The finance and government controls are pretty decent. System ships were a very good addition, as were star lanes. The diplomacy system could use some more feedback, but has a lot of good things. The planetary specials and magnate races are very cool. The AI is much better now, although not outstanding by any means. The music and graphics and general atmosphere of the game are good. Generally I think they tried to create a game with a real epic sweep to it, and while many things failed, they got enough right to make it a more fun game than the previous 4x's.

I remember the first time I saw the moo3 web site and read through their massive documents of planned features thinking that it was it was a phenomenally good design, but that I would crap my pants if they were actually able to accomplish everything they planned. If someone were actually able to accomplish all that was originally planned for moo3 I think they'd have the be-all, end-all of 4x gaming.
Programming Lead

Nightfish

#14 Post by Nightfish »

Call me a moron, but I really hope that by Version 2.0 or something like that, our game will be the be-all, end-all of 4x gaming... :?:

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

here, here!

#15 Post by PowerCrazy »

I agree. With the great number and quality of the ideas being thrown around. I don't think anyone will stand for the crap Moo3 did. There will be no excuse. We aren't going for some convaluted "campaign against microing" That moo3 felt it needed to have. We are obviously going to allow each player to micro to his hearts content, BUT we are also going to have the tools to "macro" our empire. Such that by mid-to-end game we can have an empire off 100+ planets and manage it just as easilly as our first couple of planets on turn one.
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)