The greatest Space Game Imaginable.. SE5

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Strategyman
Space Squid
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:16 am

The greatest Space Game Imaginable.. SE5

#1 Post by Strategyman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:06 pm

Space empires V has given me some of the best moments in my entire gaming experience, I have never played such a customizable, interactive space civ simulator EVER that has beaten this game whole sale, I truly believe this game is the new base for space strategies across the board. I've had alot of fun toying with building ring worlds, having diplomatic relations, and so much, the game can become quite complex at times when you play with a mod with the enhanced AI. By far the most enjoyable mod I have played is Battlestar Galactica, with its easy to use FTL drives, but in the end of each game the Cylons start to kill off all the human factions (except for me) because their tech is way superior. Least to say the tactical battles can be quite entertaining, and it is quite easy to get lost in role play, since the whole game is customizable, you can make everything for your race unique from ship models all the way down to plain old history texts. What say you all about SE5? I have no doubts all or almost all will say the same. (in the sense of satisfactory)
_____________________
Never shoot something you don't see or know because you could kill your mother!

User avatar
EmP
Space Floater
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:20 am
Location: Croatia

Re: The greatest Space Game Imaginable.. SE5

#2 Post by EmP » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:36 am

Strategyman wrote:Space empires V has given me some of the best moments in my entire gaming experience, I have never played such a customizable, interactive space civ simulator EVER that has beaten this game whole sale, I truly believe this game is the new base for space strategies across the board. I've had alot of fun toying with building ring worlds, having diplomatic relations, and so much, the game can become quite complex at times when you play with a mod with the enhanced AI. By far the most enjoyable mod I have played is Battlestar Galactica, with its easy to use FTL drives, but in the end of each game the Cylons start to kill off all the human factions (except for me) because their tech is way superior. Least to say the tactical battles can be quite entertaining, and it is quite easy to get lost in role play, since the whole game is customizable, you can make everything for your race unique from ship models all the way down to plain old history texts. What say you all about SE5? I have no doubts all or almost all will say the same. (in the sense of satisfactory)
SE5 is nice game, I didn't play it with mods so for me it's just nice, not great. Is UI moddable to?

Vanilla version has quite strenuous UI, for almost all actions I have to dig through at least two levels of interface, much like in Ascendancy. I'd expect they polished by getting sequel number 5. Also technologies take away some fun from game. It's boring to level same tech over and over again. It' ok at low levels but, for example at level 60, increase to level 61 simply doesn't feel like getting new tech.

Anyway, in near future, I will give it another try with mods.

User avatar
Strategyman
Space Squid
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:16 am

Re: The greatest Space Game Imaginable.. SE5

#3 Post by Strategyman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:52 pm

There are several mods that add new components, hull designs, technologies, improved AI, or just full on empires to add, go look it up it will make SE5 way more worthwhile, plus that you can customize everything in this game, if you know how to do it.
_____________________
Never shoot something you don't see or know because you could kill your mother!

User avatar
EmP
Space Floater
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:20 am
Location: Croatia

Re: The greatest Space Game Imaginable.. SE5

#4 Post by EmP » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:21 pm

BTW, have you tried SE5 on Winows 7? When I did, there was annoying flickering. I've googled (link) this:
7. White flashing during the game.
This is caused by old video drivers that are not compliant with DirectX 8 or DirectX 9. You should download and install the latest drivers for your video card.
It's typical "blame the drivers" answer, but I don't think it's my drivers being old. Game worked flawlessly on same machine under Windows XP with old drivers. Maybe new drivers (and/or new OS) are not compilant with old DirectX or game is simply not clearing backbuffer way it should.

User avatar
Strategyman
Space Squid
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:16 am

Re: The greatest Space Game Imaginable.. SE5

#5 Post by Strategyman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:58 am

I wouldn't know I use XP, I am guessing that SE5 and Windows7 are not friendly when the meet each other head on. I still use Windows XP because its a middle ground between old games and the next-gen so I can enjoy both, I would recommend reinstalling your drivers graphical drivers, then after that reinstall SE5, if that doesn't work then there is nothing I can do, maybe downgrade to Windows XP if you really want to, or if it is something more then get official help.

P.S. can you give me a list of hardware?
_____________________
Never shoot something you don't see or know because you could kill your mother!

canshow
Space Krill
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: The greatest Space Game Imaginable.. SE5

#6 Post by canshow » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:24 pm

SE5 is a good game in general.

However, the AI is pretty bad. If i can control chokepoints that lead into my systems, then i basically won (it'll take a long time to kill them without cheats, but im unkillable after that point)

Also, alot of the mods are meant for multiplayer. And some of the mods are bad/don't add as much as you thought to the game.

User avatar
EmP
Space Floater
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:20 am
Location: Croatia

Re: The greatest Space Game Imaginable.. SE5

#7 Post by EmP » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:17 pm

Strategyman wrote:P.S. can you give me a list of hardware?
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 is all you need to know.
canshow wrote:...it'll take a long time to kill them without cheats, but im unkillable after that point...
If you have enough tech, just spam starkillers. Make node from your system to theirs, warp (optionally, close node), make star go nova. During early game, simple steamroll will do.

Crissa
Space Floater
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:17 am

Re: The greatest Space Game Imaginable.. SE5

#8 Post by Crissa » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:56 am

When a system changes, so do the calls to the drivers. So a driver that worked in a previous version of the OS may not work in a later version. If any time, that's a good time to update the drivers; you're lucky it works at all on the older drivers and newer OS.

I love SEV, but I doubt it'll get much better, and it's still missing a few things to make it great. Like support of arbitrary monitor sizes or other OSes. Apparently they licensed that out to their publisher, so to get that changed someone will have to pry it out of licensing.

Alas, my PC has decided not to boot today when I went to play SEV... Grr. CMOS battery went kaput and I guess it can't find the right boot drive, though I've tried them all. I'll have to dig out the disk repair tools and an XP license from someone to fix it. Bah.

-Crissa

Post Reply