Policy icons concept

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
The Silent One
Graphics

Policy icons concept

#1 Post by The Silent One »

So I've started a bit of conceptual work on the policy icons. Drawing inspiration from Civ where policies look a bit like playing cards, here's the design I came up with so far.
[Edit]Added more advanced card design.
[Edit]Updated mockup.
Attachments
mockup.png
mockup.png (420.13 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
Last edited by The Silent One on Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Policy icons concept

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Looks good, though something more than just colour to differentiate categories is needed, as some people are comourblind.

The Silent One
Graphics

#3 Post by The Silent One »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:06 pm Looks good, though something more than just colour to differentiate categories is needed, as some people are comourblind.
For that I had intended the shape on the card cover - wing-shape on the military policy cards, circle on the social cards (something to determine on the economic cards). Not enough?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The Silent One wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:34 pmwing-shape on the military policy cards, circle on the social cards (something to determine on the economic cards). Not enough?
sounds reasonable

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Looks very good, big thumbs up from my side! :D

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

Also love it. :mrgreen:

For color-blind visibility one could add some slight variation on the card shape. E.g. cutting away a small half-sphere in the "waist-area" on the left and right side for the social cards. With waist I mean the space between the icon and the text. If the economy cards get a diamond theme, cut away half-diamonds for those.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:08 am Also love it. :mrgreen:

For color-blind visibility one could add some slight variation on the card shape. E.g. cutting away a small half-sphere in the "waist-area" on the left and right side for the social cards. With waist I mean the space between the icon and the text. If the economy cards get a diamond theme, cut away half-diamonds for those.
+1

The Silent One
Graphics

#8 Post by The Silent One »

Thanks :) . Placed a category marker on the bottom of the card and gave it a bit more of a washy/used look. Will use this as reference for the other cards.
Attachments
reference_card.png
reference_card.png (105.47 KiB) Viewed 3398 times

The Silent One
Graphics

#9 Post by The Silent One »

Making some progress, some icons are not finalized (looking at you, terror suppression).
Last chance to suggest changes to the layout.
Attachments
progress.jpg
progress.jpg (252.51 KiB) Viewed 3332 times

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Are the gold icons separate .png files, which can be used in other contexts, like a list, where more square-shaped icons would fit better?

The Silent One
Graphics

#11 Post by The Silent One »

No, they're baked, but I agree it would make sense to make them separate, so I'll see what I can do.

The Silent One
Graphics

#12 Post by The Silent One »

Works ok:
[Edit]All basic category cards done.
Attachments
progress.jpg
progress.jpg (412.58 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
better.jpg
better.jpg (46.74 KiB) Viewed 3310 times

Geoff the Medio

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you want or have time to make a few extra icons, my list of maybe-could-add policies includes:
  • Formation - +2 shield -10 speed (minimum 10) for armed ships in systems where you have at least 3 armed ships
  • Guardians - In systems with at least 1 armed and at least 1 unarmed ship, +2 shields to unarmed ships, -1 weapon damage to armed ships
  • Sentinel - +10 empire detection strength, -1 ship weapon damage, -1 ship shields, -10 speed
  • Diversion - In systems with at least 1 armed and at least 1 unarmed ship, +10 stealth to unarmed ships, -10 stealth to armed ships
  • Planetary Militia - increase troop regenerate rate on planets with low stability
  • Exploitation - increase industry output on planets with low stability
  • Psychotropic Treatment - increase stability but build up tolerance to drug, produce withdrawl if revoked (via specials),
  • Psychotropic Distribution - increases stability but lowers growth and industry. Planets develop dependence (as an attached special), which reduces the benefits from the policy. If their supply connection is distrupted or the policy is revoked, planets will undergo withdrawl, producing different / opposite effects.
  • Psychotropic Extortion - Planets with the Dependence special have strongly increased stability and influence generation and no withdrawl symptoms.
  • Psychotropic Rehabilitation - Planets with the Dependence special lose it faster and have lessened withdrawl symptoms.
  • Eco Tourism
  • Cultural Tourism
  • Psyonic Shielding
  • Imperial Identity - gives +30 stability, spread evenly over all populated planets
  • Traditionalism
  • Stability
  • Battlefield Refinement
Having icons in the same style for those might be useful.

The Silent One
Graphics

#14 Post by The Silent One »

Once I'm done with the current ones (still on the icons for the social category), I'll see what I can do.

On top of that, should someone at some point need to recreate the style of the policy icons, it shouldn't be too hard, as I usually leave some indication how they're done in the source files.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by wobbly »

These look great. Unfortunately they're way too large in game. I have to expand the policy window till it takes up most of the screen space and I still can't easily see what the available policies are.