Sidepanel stars

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

Re: Sidepanel stars

#31 Post by Bromstarzan »

My vote would go to static image, no star animation. I really like what's already there, with the star on top of the orbital objects. I see the point suggested in displaying summary about the system, but could that not be made as a hovering pop-up?
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

The Silent One
Graphics

#32 Post by The Silent One »

adrian_broher wrote:Yeah, in a spur of a moment. Sorry for wasting your time with the request but think of the whole idea as prototyping and brainstorming. People now have some general idea how things can look like, what are the possible implementation limitations and ways to implement this and also there is some consensus on how things should not look like.
That's okay. I'm a little disappointed because I like the sun animations. It was worth the effort anyway.
Bromstarzan wrote:I see the point suggested in displaying summary about the system, but could that not be made as a hovering pop-up?
As far as I'm concerned, a definite no to a pop-up. The system summary is something that should be visible instantly when the sidepanel is open.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#33 Post by Bromstarzan »

As far as I'm concerned, a definite no to a pop-up. The system summary is something that should be visible instantly when the sidepanel is open.
Fair enough, I think I do agree - in a way. Made a suggestion to present those stats graphically by using circles of various thicknes/radius/colors/arc-lengths etc. (on the galaxy map). But, yes, you wouldn't see the exact numbers like you would on a side-panel version. And many probably don't want more clutter in the galaxy map(?). One has to implement it, play it and watch it to be able to evaluate the bad/good.

I'm not really entitled to have serious opinions (I just discovered FO in February) :lol:, so please take my input lightly. Many things I reflect upon might have been suggested/discussed many times before - and scraped already for mighty good reasons.

Your images of the stars (and animations) are great, by the way. But I think I would be annoyed by the flickering if not made entirely to my taste, and that in turn would probably conflict with others taste.... All in all, I think I like everything that's being done on the game. It's a good effort you guys put in.

Keep up the good work!
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

The Silent One
Graphics

#34 Post by The Silent One »

Bromstarzan wrote:Made a suggestion to present those stats graphically by using circles of various thicknes/radius/colors/arc-lengths etc. (on the galaxy map).
That's something I would like as well, but only in addition to the sidepanel information.
Bromstarzan wrote:I'm not really entitled to have serious opinions (I just discovered FO in February) :lol:, so please take my input lightly. Many things I reflect upon might have been suggested/discussed many times before - and scraped already for mighty good reasons.
Your opinion is very welcome! The system summary, however, while it's currently not as useful as it might be, is imho a essential part of the sidepanel; and we should try to improve it in the near future.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Unnamed
Space Floater

#35 Post by Unnamed »

I once made a shader to render a sun wich loooks like this (the sun is rotating too fast in this animation though):
sun01.gif
sun01.gif (1022.86 KiB) Viewed 7990 times
I just rendered a sphere and a sprite over that with a relatively simple shader wich just needs one additional texture (the same texture as for the sphere can be used).

The Silent One
Graphics

#36 Post by The Silent One »

Unnamed wrote:I once made a shader to render a sun wich loooks like this ...
Except for the rotating dots, and that the surface effect could be more prominent, I like it! Could I try out your shader, or do you feel like working on it youself?