0.3 Tech Category icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#106 Post by Mystiqq »

At the moment im concentrating on getting some decent/good icons/shapes that work, drop shadow or other things are not essential yet, at least not for me.

Since ive learned that there might be case in which some of these icons wont be even used, so i personally wont waste time detailing things if not nessarily needed.
CHAT!!!! irc://irc.freenode.org:6667/freeorion

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#107 Post by Geoff the Medio »

noelte wrote:IMO, those flat icons look hmmm old and i guess Obiwans 3d version don't look nice on icon resolution. What's about those flat icons with a little more 3d, say for instance shadows.
I think we're better off keeping those icons flat and single coloured (ie. no darker area for the shadow). They're supposed to be like the tech and building icons from SMAC: very flat and somewhat dull coloured, so that they scaled well, and just for stylistic reasons (that you might not agree with, obviously...)...

We can have detailed / colourful shaded / 3D / rendered images/pictures for techs / buildings as well, but these are different from the icons for the same things...

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#108 Post by Obiwan »

A drop hadow XP style would be a simple thing. Microangelo has a function for just that.
With a black background it wont be visible most of the time. But if the screen had transparancy and was overlaid on anouther image it would be useful then.
The big 3d icons could be used this way with text and stuff overlaid on top.
Where this would be appropriate or possible Im not sure.

The flat icons as Mystiqq is designing is the way to go. imo. Maybe the 3d stuff im making will usefull somewhere, but its garnishing really.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#109 Post by Obiwan »

Growth

Geoff the Medio

#110 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'm a bit worried by all that fine detail; how good will that look scaled down to 32x32 or so? A simple triangular tree shape + square trunk might be better... It would also probably fit better with Mystiqq's recent simpler designs.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#111 Post by Obiwan »

I agree, just testing the water with the overall design.
Should be simple.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#112 Post by Impaler »

perhaps an X formed by arrows pointing outward much as you have their with 3 arrows but no tree in the middle rather some concentric circles instead. The arrows would literaly symbolize "outward growth and expantion" whitch is very literaly what the catagory is to cover right?
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Geoff the Medio

#113 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Impaler wrote:The arrows would literaly symbolize "outward growth and expantion" whitch is very literaly what the catagory is to cover right?
Conceptually, "Growth" is perhaps more about upward development than outward expansion / conoquest... (the latter being more about military and colonization ships, the former more about improving the planets you already have... though this needn't necessarily be the case, I suppose)

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Growth Icon

#114 Post by guiguibaah »

Do you remember the "easy" setting on moo2? It had a picture of a baby 4 fingered hand reaching up, and a larger 4 fingered hand reaching down (almoth touching, but not quite.. as if the small hand was reaching for the larger one).

Would that be growth?
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#115 Post by Mystiqq »

Not "easy" but "tutor" one. :)

CHAT!!!! irc://irc.freenode.org:6667/freeorion

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#116 Post by Obiwan »

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#117 Post by Tyreth »

That works, it's simple. Though it may lookbetter with just an upwards arrow - would you be able to make the same thing but with only one arrow?

If we're happy with that or the one you just posted as growth, I believe we have ones we can use for each category and call this complete. There will be calls for further icons at a later date, and these may be revisited if better designs turn up, but it will no longer be a priority.

noelte
Juggernaut

#118 Post by noelte »

hmm, looks like a face! At least you have to give it a ssecond look to get the meaning.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#119 Post by Obiwan »

Sorry, forgot I was ment to do something with the above icon.

Hows the icon look now.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#120 Post by Tyreth »

I'm happy with these icons for the existing categories. Consider this requirement complete :)