freeOrion logo

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:Image
That looks awesome pd. Especially the colouration and shading / pseudometallic texture of the letters, and the subtle glow of the O.

Have either of you tried having the tips of the O crescent extend into the top left quadrant? Just the sharp endy bits... nothing big.

Also, the F is a little... undersized? But the N is a little big looking... I wonder if the N could be compressed slightly horizontally, and the F enlarged slightly? Normally it's written FreeOrion or Freeorion, with the F capitalized.

Also also, have you considered having a serrated inner edge on the O? Something rather rough and irregular... like it was drawn with paintbrush strokes...

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by utilae »

Geoff the Medio wrote: That looks awesome pd. Especially the colouration and shading / pseudometallic texture of the letters, and the subtle glow of the O.
Man that looks sweet.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Have either of you tried having the tips of the O crescent extend into the top left quadrant? Just the sharp endy bits... nothing big.
I second this. It needs to look like a full O.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Also, the F is a little... undersized? But the N is a little big looking... I wonder if the N could be compressed slightly horizontally, and the F enlarged slightly? Normally it's written FreeOrion or Freeorion, with the F capitalized.
Keep all the letters the same height and the width. I would like a balanced look, eg freeOrion. Agree that N should have width decreased and F should have width increased. When I say freeOrion I would still want to kepp the 'free' and the 'rion' as capitals, jsut the O must be bigger, like it is now.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Also also, have you considered having a serrated inner edge on the O? Something rather rough and irregular... like it was drawn with paintbrush strokes...
I don't like this idea. Are you saying that the black circle in the middle of the O should be more greyish and blured (like brush strokes). I guess you mean just making the inner edges softer. See it looks like a circlular shadow covering the moon, though the shadow should appear softer around the endges of the shadow, that would be ok to an extent.

Geoff the Medio

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

utilae wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Also also, have you considered having a serrated inner edge on the O? Something rather rough and irregular... like it was drawn with paintbrush strokes...
I don't like this idea. Are you saying that the black circle in the middle of the O should be more greyish and blured (like brush strokes). I guess you mean just making the inner edges softer.
serrated = jagged, not softer. I want spiky pointy sharp slicy-blade-like things, but not overly clean / regular ones. There's a very specific painbrush technique I'm referring to... Do a search for images of Miss Saigon. The logo for the show has some rougher-edges paintbrush strokes, though not quite what I have in mind here... the stuff at the bottom right of the helicopter is closest.

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#19 Post by Mystiqq »

Hmm. I think you are right. Some of those letters are too big and some too small (width). Ill try to do something about that.

EDIT:
Just noticed that theres a problem. The total width of the "free" and "rion" is the same, but if i change the width on one of the letters i.e. in the word "free", i have to compensate it somewhere else in the word free to make it the same total width again.
I think this is important because it just looks odd if the total width on the left/right is less/more than on the opposite side.
serrated = jagged, not softer. I want spiky pointy sharp slicy-blade-like things, but not overly clean / regular ones. There's a very specific painbrush technique I'm referring to... Do a search for images of Miss Saigon. The logo for the show has some rougher-edges paintbrush strokes, though not quite what I have in mind here... the stuff at the bottom right of the helicopter is closest.
I imagine that you are after more like a "shadow of a planet" thing? I mean that it should look like the planet has some roughness that translates into the shadow... or something?
CHAT!!!! irc://irc.freenode.org:6667/freeorion

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#20 Post by Mystiqq »

pd is gonna love this. :D

Geoff the Medio

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

slight edit...
Not exactly what I had in mind for the jagged edges... and I'm not sure they really fit with the simple smooth lines of the rest of it.

The outline corners ties it into the whole UI appearance of button shapes though, which is kind of interseting.

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#22 Post by Mystiqq »

Oh...

Just edit it look like that. btw. if you have irc, join in. Theres few people in irc. :)

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#23 Post by Impaler »

Nice work guys, I have one nagging though though, its not realy very obvious that the Cresent is an O so it might be interpreted as "Free Rion". Anything that could be done to avoid that, or am I just crazy?
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Geoff the Medio

#24 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Impaler wrote:Nice work guys, I have one nagging though though, its not realy very obvious that the Cresent is an O so it might be interpreted as "Free Rion". Anything that could be done to avoid that, or am I just crazy?
Maybe move the R closer to the O, so that the space between them is the same as the space between the other letters?

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#25 Post by Mystiqq »

It probably helped a little, but theres no way to completely remove this problem other than replacing it with an actual letter O.

Im not seeing this as problem atm, but then again i might be "blind" on this issue since i made that...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#26 Post by pd »

i know what helps... guess what? yes, removing the outline :)
this way the logo is less cramped and the O stands more out.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#27 Post by utilae »

I think it will be read as freeOrion easily enough. Though I am concerned about the jagged inner edges. They are nice, but kind of take away from the point that the O is a letter and an image, not just an image. People might confuse the O for a icon, but not realise its the letter O. I think the O needs to be round the inner section and be joined all the way round.

We could also try coloring the inner circle inside the O as grey or green, blured around the inner edges (for a softer look).

Geoff the Medio

#28 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Mystiqq wrote:Image

It probably helped a little, but theres no way to completely remove this problem other than replacing it with an actual letter O.
I was going to suggest putting a bit more space between "FREE" and the "O" than between "RION" and the "O", so as to make it more clear that the "O" is a letter and the word is "ORION", but I tried it and it screwed up the left-right balance of the whole logo...

Maybe the "O" could be more tied into the "RION" with colour?

I'm also inclined to agree with pd that the jaggies aren't really working... maybe if the "O" wasn't so thick at the bottom right?

Also, maybe make the little "O" in "RION" a bit more circular to match the big one?

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#29 Post by Mystiqq »

I dont think readability is an huge issue when you are making an logo, even if people would read it as "freerion".

Im not sure if this isnt a right comparison but when you look at Half Life 2 logo, its next to impossible to people to understand at first that it actually is Half Life 2 logo...

EDIT:
damn typos...

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#30 Post by Impaler »

I think if you strengthin the thin line forming the top left of the Circle and realy conect it well I think it will have the "O" look to it enough. Esentialy it would be an off center white ciccle inside a black circle rather then a cresent. Adding some space between the Free and the O would help out as well. My though is to make the side pointing ray things as long as the up and down pointing ones, then the rightward pointing ray can poke into the back of the "R" a bit but not touch the "E" to its left. That would "bind" it with the RION and help form the ORION as you read it.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune