Tech Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#91 Post by pd » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:41 am

check http://www.imageshack.us if you want to host pictures.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#92 Post by Geoff the Medio » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:58 am

pd / Obiwan / anyone else: It'd be great if you could get a few more of those theory tech icons done in time for v0.3. Shooting for a couple weeks from now would be good.

And FYI a bunch more of the tech descriptions are done on the wiki, here:

http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Eng_stringtable.txt

All but [edit] six [/edit] are done, which might help inspire you for the others... though I realize the Economics and Construction stuff is a bit less evocative than Growth and Production were.

Also, it'd be nice if we could get a few generic building-type icons, probably of a more rendered / realistic look than the icons as was discussed, to associate with the v0.3 buildings and the application techs that unlock them. We don't need unique or tailored icons for all (or any) of the applications that end up in v0.3, but *something* semi-decent looking would be good.

And lastly, if you make any more, could you post them at the end of the thread, and / or clearly mark the new stuff in the posts at the start, so that I can tell what and when something's new without repeatedly crosschecking all the files I already have? I didn't realize there were four new production icons for a couple months now...

Thanks

Update: ALL the theory descriptions are now done.
Last edited by Geoff the Medio on Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#93 Post by pd » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:00 am

I've updated the descriptions in the first thread.

If anyone wants to help out here, i would be very thankful for sketches. There is no need for finished icons - doing those is very straightforward and can be done by me. I just can't afford the time thinking about this stuff and comming up with unique ideas at the moment. I will still try, but i can't promise anything.

Geoff the Medio

#94 Post by Geoff the Medio » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:14 am

Some icon ideas... (textual, but meant for graphical implementation)

Market Economics -> solid lines squared crosshatched grid over black background with up/down/up/arrow-tipped line overtop

Planned Economics -> communist hammer and sickle over crosshatched grid like in market, possibly with arrows pointing horizontally out form the hammer/sickle

Externality Integration -> blurred background ∫ symbol, central solid outline circle with black middle (transpartent to see the background symbol), various symbols around outside with arrows going from them across the circle into the middle black area

Economic Spectroscopy -> multiple sine waves of differing frequencies and amplitudes.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~toppingwebspace4/FO/spectro.png

Interstellar Trade -> Three stylized "stars" with back-forth arrows connecting eachother in a circle, maybe something in the middle...

Environmetal Adaption -> stylized igloo?

Galactic Monetary Policy -> A semi-realistic and detailed, or heavily stylized spiral galaxy, various Earth currency symbols around it

Economic Fluidity -> A half-empty jar with another jar being poured into it from above, with trade or economics symbols

http://home.cogeco.ca/~toppingwebspace4/FO/fluidity.png

(replace $'s with FO-relevant symbol)

Planetary Colonialism -> One big central planet with about six smaller ones around it with arrows going from the smaller to the bigger

Economic Prescience -> Something similar to the Psionics symbol, but with economics symbols... maybe a market-economics-like arrow and some spectroscopy sine waves in the background

Stabilized Hypergrowth -> For some reason I think of a clock in the background... with a very sharp "growth" curve over top

http://home.cogeco.ca/~toppingwebspace4 ... karrow.png

Economic Hegemony -> An economics or trade symbol big up top, with lots of little things below that it's dominating... like an eye chart with the big E up top and all the smaller letters below, if they use the same style where you live (or go to the doctor anyway...)... but not letters... maybe people or planets are the little things below that are dominated by the big thing up top. The one up top could have some arrows coming out as well pointing over the top row of stuff below it...

Triplelk
Space Krill

#95 Post by Triplelk » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:44 am

Awesome work 8)

I'd love to help with this man. Give me a week or so and I'll have some contributions ready for the icons. Do you need them as PNG transperancies for use in the game or just as a gif?
Want to play Axis and Allies 4th edition on your PC? Check out

http://triplea.sourceforge.net/

Geoff the Medio

#96 Post by Geoff the Medio » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:26 am

PNG, 128 x 128 pixels with transparency

Make sure you read this thread so you know the theme for theory icons (basically: theories are abstract / nonrealistic / monochrome / flat ... similar to the ones seen so far).

Application icons can be made as well, and be made more realistic / rendered / with depth or some other style if you prefer, though don't spend too much time on them since the specific applications in v0.3 are much less likely to stick around than the theories are. A listing of applications put in for v0.3 are here with descriptive text, similar to the theories.

LonghornXtreme
Space Floater

#97 Post by LonghornXtreme » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:37 pm

Maybe this for orbital construction?

Alot of the theory icons that are needed lack a suitable concept :-)

Kinda hard to do orbital construction or architectural monofilments etc.

If you have any ideas to add to this let me know... It's a pretty simple 30 second photoshop that I just did...

Here's one for maybe market economics?

Geoff the Medio

#98 Post by Geoff the Medio » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:40 am

LonghornXtreme wrote:Maybe this for orbital construction?
It might be good if all the "orbital..." icons looked similar. There are icons for orbital mining and production (or similar) on the first page of the thread. You can probably grab the planet / ring part and stick some appropriate icon (perhaps the construction category icon or a derivative thereof) in place of the equivalent in the existing icons.

That first page's icons are also a good guide for style, which should hopefully (continue to) be consistent for the theory icons. Buildings or application techs can be different looking.
... architectural monofilments etc.
How about a bunch of lines supporting something... somewhat suspension-bridge-like (eg. golden gate) . Could also do:
- a playground swing with an arrow pointing to the rope...
- something resembling the leaning tower of pisa, held up by a bowtied string
- an abstract puppeteer's cross with lines going down to a few buildings (tower, bridge section, etc.)
If you have any ideas to add to this let me know... It's a pretty simple 30 second photoshop that I just did...
There's a post a few up by me with some ideas. If you want others, specifically request them if possible...

Solid Liquid
Space Krill

tech-tree icons

#99 Post by Solid Liquid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Hi,

I tried to make some sketches. Heres one of them, how could it look in the GI (I mailed it to [email protected] allredy, but I dont know if it's active):

it's just a quickie, so i can make it more detailed or change the concept at all... i work in 3d and vectors, so it shouldn't be problem to make it look as you wish...

I would like to help with FreeOrion project, so if you have another graphics request, just tell me and I can make some sketches, 3d models etc., now I just need to know if you want me to continue working or not.
SL

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#100 Post by pd » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:18 pm

Hey, sorry that I didn't reply to your mail yet. I'm pretty busy currently.

Your icon looks really nice, I like it. It's exactly the style we want for this.
I don't see the connection to 'Force-Energy Structures' though. Is it possibly made for another technology?

It would be cool if you could provide your icon in 128x128 as .png and without any color aplied.

Check the first post of this thread to see what icons are still needed. Just reply to this thread to post additional icons.

p.s. Welcome to freeOrion :)

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

Re: tech-tree icons

#101 Post by tzlaine » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:41 pm

Solid Liquid wrote:Hi,

I tried to make some sketches. Heres one of them, how could it look in the GI (I mailed it to [email protected] allredy, but I dont know if it's active):

it's just a quickie, so i can make it more detailed or change the concept at all... i work in 3d and vectors, so it shouldn't be problem to make it look as you wish...

I would like to help with FreeOrion project, so if you have another graphics request, just tell me and I can make some sketches, 3d models etc., now I just need to know if you want me to continue working or not.
Yes! Your help would be greatly appreciated! If you could finish the tech theory icons, that would be awesome.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#102 Post by pd » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:50 am

I've updated the first post.

Here are the new icons done by Solid Liquid(Thanks!).

Production

Matter-Energy Replication

Nanotech Production

Construction

Metroplex Infrastructure

Hint: Please post them with a black background aplied. I don't see a need for transparency. Even if the background color in the techscreen is going to change, those icons should be viewed on black background. Also, put the complete tech name into the filename please.

I'm sure we will find a proper tech for your fourth(first) icon.

Thanks again for your effort.
Last edited by pd on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#103 Post by tzlaine » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:12 pm

Geoff just emailed me about these. They're awesome. I'll add them to the data file.

Solid Liquid
Space Krill

tech-tree

#104 Post by Solid Liquid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi,

you did have to make the "postreply" button twice as big and flashing, for me... :wink: sorry, you can delete the thread I made by mistake alredy...

There are two new icons:

Architecture psychology:
-heh, i wanted to show the energy of the building affecting psyche, but it looks a little bit unclear now, maybe i should change the background ornament? any ideas??-

Enviromental adaptation:

I had a look to obiwan's icons again, and when I look to mine now, some of them are pretty empty and udetailed... :?

so, if you have any comments, just tell me! i would like you to be fully satisfied.. :D
SL

Geoff the Medio

Re: tech-tree

#105 Post by Geoff the Medio » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:53 pm

Solid Liquid wrote:...i wanted to show the energy of the building affecting psyche, but it looks a little bit unclear now, maybe i should change the background ornament?
[...]
I had a look to obiwan's icons again, and when I look to mine now, some of them are pretty empty and udetailed... :?
I'd rather have mediocre icons for everything ASAP and then work in improving them later than have you, or anyone else, fret endlessly about getting a few of them perfect and having nothing for the rest. I was considering making up some crude filler art of my own just to have something... so we're much better off with your worst than anything I'd produce...

Also, about half the existing icons are by pd.