Tech Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Redcap
Graphics

Re: Tech Icons

#316 Post by Redcap »

Like this?

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#317 Post by shrinkshooter »

Yep, that's how it's done! Now that needs improvement, but you get the general idea. In the end you may not even use it, but I just thought that might be a venue to explore. Now, I gotta go to sleep. It's 2:37 am here and I gotta get up in about 6.5 hours. I hate my life... :x
Last edited by shrinkshooter on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#318 Post by pd »

I can hardly see a network there, it's just a galaxy. The network should be the most important thing and the galaxy should be pushed back. The shapes used to represent the network should be simplified.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#319 Post by shrinkshooter »

Voluntarily removed.
Last edited by shrinkshooter on Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josh
Graphics

#320 Post by Josh »

Ummm, I've noticed this thread is getting really crowded, and not in the good kind of way lately, so this needs to be addressed.

The tech icon thread is not intended for the purpose of critiques, that's its secondary role, it's a place for finished tech icons to get dumped and reviewed for processing. That means if adjustments are needed it will be pointed out, but getting ideas and building up for a tech icon needs to be done somewhere else. No guessing please, the thread will get very crowded this way, it is not amusing browsing through seven pages of revisions.

Here's the way it's been done in the past:

Artist has an idea and puts it into practice.
Artist waits for multiple such ideas and submits them en masse in one post, sans preliminary work.
Icons are reviewed.

Occasional violations are acceptable, these are not rules, and they are not set in stone, and if wanted to you could disregard the facts at you're leisure, but please use discretion when submitting. The tidiness of the thread depends on the community's forward-thinking prudence.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#321 Post by shrinkshooter »

Josh wrote:I've noticed this thread is getting really crowded, and not in the good kind of way lately, so this needs to be addressed.
Yeah, I've always had this kind of feeling because this topic has 22 pages+ and the others don't. I guess the reason I started posting ideas here instead of finished work is because I saw it done before me, and so I thought it was kosher. I also didn't want to create a new thread every time I had a different graphics idea; right now I just have sketches for the learning icon(s) and living planet. I guess I could put them in one thread. I pretty much agree with you though, so I'll stop putting stuff in here until it's just about finished, like the ship icons I posted in the other thread.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#322 Post by pd »

This thread is so long because it chronicles the biggest collection of artwork of this project yet. I second what Josh has said. Comments should be kept to a minimum and should be useful critique if possible. Having many icons in a single post makes it a lot easier for me to review icons as well. There is an edit button at bottom, so you can add icons later to a previous post in case you don't know.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#323 Post by shrinkshooter »

Short and sweet. Living Planet:

Thoughts.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#324 Post by Tortanick »

beautiful.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#325 Post by pd »

Commited, I knew my constant nagging will yield fruit :) Good work.

I'll update the wiki page later this day.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#326 Post by shrinkshooter »

pd wrote:Commited
Much appreciated; however, The Silent One suggested some changes in my personal icon thread, and I don't know if you would perhaps prefer that. Or if you've already seen it. Just throwing it out there.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#327 Post by pd »

Yep, I've seen it and I've actually commited the version you've made after Silents comments :) Good work, both of you.

Josh
Graphics

#328 Post by Josh »

Great. Growth and Production are done now, no need to kill yourself over them anymore. :)

Ships has two more (Category and Logistics)
Learning has three more (Collective and Distributed thought, Void Enclave)
Construction and Economics have quite a few more, so there's still plenty of fun to be had before FO runs out of tech icons.

No need to work on the icons in any particular order, pick the ones that would be most fun for you to do.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#329 Post by pd »

I've just commited these.

Thanks a lot Josh. Self Gravitating Structures didn't work very well.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#330 Post by shrinkshooter »

I tweaked the thing under the nose to see how it would look.

Looks a lot less like a pacifier now. :) Of course it doesn't matter really, we have an icon for the tech and that's all I really care about. We're really close to finishing all of them, and I'd like to see that happen.

==edit==
pd wrote:Thanks a lot Josh. Self Gravitating Structures didn't work very well.
It didn't work as in it wasn't good at lower resolution or it didn't convey the idea well? Out of Josh's latest batch that was probably my favorite, I really liked that one.