Original FreeOrion Mockup

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Original FreeOrion Mockup

#1 Post by Tyreth »

I thought some of you artists and other curious people may be interested to see this. I found it in on my harddisk - it's the first mockup of FreeOrion that I can remember. It was made by Burndaddy, who was also the first lead of graphics. This is back when we had the legendary "old forums" which have been lost on a backworld somewhere in the forgotten regions of the universe.

krum
Creative Contributor

Re: Original FreeOrion Mockup

#2 Post by krum »

Tyreth wrote:This is back when we had the legendary "old forums" which have been lost on a backworld somewhere in the forgotten regions of the universe.
By the way, did I understand that right, that there's no way we can retrieve the discussions there?

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#3 Post by Zanzibar »

That is correct. The old forums have gone to the same place that your missing socks also go to.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Just my 2 cents

#4 Post by guiguibaah »

I imagine the mockup was a pre-rendered .PNG image, but I must say - I do like the fonts and the star effects on that image :)
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'm keen on the background gas cloudy stuff... it's much better than the blobbish randomly spaced nebulae we have now.

The starlanes also look better... as do the background stars.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

i agree, that this mockup looks pretty nice.

those lens effects on some stars look nice. we could easily add those by using a second layer (much bigger than the stars itself) on some stars.

i also do like those ultra thin starlanes. maybe we really shouldn't scale them(same with the stars). i know somebody was proposing this already aeones ago. *squintsatgeoff*

to achieve nebulas similar to those in burndaddys mockup, we would need to use bigger ones(current ones are 512x512 i think) and more of them. since they need to overlap to get away from the blob-look. and then we should also use bigger pictures for the bg stars. they are at 256x256 now and we have a ugly patterns this way..

personaly i would suggest using 1024x1024 for the bg stars as well as for the nebulas. but i'm not sure if this will be a memory overkill.

oh yeah, those fonts are also nice.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:i also do like those ultra thin starlanes. maybe we really shouldn't scale them(same with the stars). i know somebody was proposing this already aeones ago. *squintsatgeoff*
Actually, I tried it out by removing scaling of stars from the code. It does in fact, as predicted by some, look a bit odd to not scale the stars at all, as when they're all close together, the individual star sprites end up looking a lot bigger than they do when spread all out due to a weird perception optical illusion type thing... and this is bad because it ends up looking like they're bigger when you're zoomed out, rather than zoomed in... (though I suppose it's possible one would get used to this after a while). The starlanes and the fleet icons however definitely, IMO, should not scale.
to achieve nebulas similar to those in burndaddys mockup, we would need to use bigger ones(current ones are 512x512 i think) and more of them. since they need to overlap to get away from the blob-look. and then we should also use bigger pictures for the bg stars. they are at 256x256 now and we have a ugly patterns this way..

personaly i would suggest using 1024x1024 for the bg stars as well as for the nebulas. but i'm not sure if this will be a memory overkill.
I've discussed this before:

viewtopic.php?p=15877#15877

(that post is itself a set of links to other posts...)

To summarize: I think you're overlooking an ovious and potentially better solution, which is to generate these procedurally. Particularly for the background stars, this would be easy, and could be much better, as individual points would have consistent locations between zoom levels. For the nebulas, it would perhaps be a bit more complicated to generate and look good... so maybe a bitmap would still be best, either a photoshopped something, or a NASA telescope image of an actual galaxy as the background...

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by Obiwan »

Since the starmap is whats viewed the most, how about the option to select a map that fits your system requirements. med-res, high-res, or ultra hi res.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by pd »

geoff, if the coding team is able to create nebulas similar to those procedural, they should go for it. for the bg stars at least this should be pretty easy, right.

one thing speaks against making this procedural though - the ease of changing/modding.
Since the starmap is whats viewed the most, how about the option to select a map that fits your system requirements. med-res, high-res, or ultra hi res.
good idea.

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by Ablaze »

Most systems should be able to handel at least 1028x1028 for the background. I do more 3d graphics then 2d graphics and few people I know would think twice about using 6 images that size for a skybox now-a-days.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

Mateo1041
Space Krill

#11 Post by Mateo1041 »

I really like those star lighting lens effects. Make the stars less circular.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#12 Post by Dreamer »

It would be great if stars are rendered as actual lights (with possible lens flare) rather than as sprites. At least in space-themed games 3D rendering has proven to be infinite superior to 2D sprites. Most of the times it just look amazing. (Several examples out there, Nexus for example). If the star of fleet size become a problem when zoomed you can always do other things, some posibilities:

1.- Move the star along the z coordinate so it gets closer on mouse-over
2.- Make a circle or other selector to surround the star on mouse-over so that the selector has an adequate size.

NICE pick by the way!

Orderbringer
Space Krill

A stroll through the gardens...

#13 Post by Orderbringer »

Allow me to provide a fuller view of the gardens...

Something I picked up and stored some time ago. 8)
If you do not fight to keep what you have, you will soon find yourself without it.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#14 Post by drek »

hrm,

That's one my early mockups of the current sidebar.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#15 Post by Dreamer »

As a side comment. It has been proven that a "bottombar" is a much better idea than a sidebar because human eyes are separated horizontally. The human field of view benefits a lot when you leave the sides relatively clear, making the impresion of more amplitude and a cleaner, simpler display (even if it`s not really that way). Just compare the last mockup to the first one posted.

That is in fact the reason why blizzard changed the UI from the style in warcraft2 at the side to the bottom of the screen like in starcraft and warcraft3. It just seems less crowded displaying the same info.