application type icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
The Silent One
Graphics

application type icons

#1 Post by The Silent One »

WIP: icons for different types of applications. From top left: armor, shield, ship hull, ship drive, beam weapon, bomb, fighters, boost, building, theory, mines, troops, planet shield, population boost, production boost, research boost. Ideas always welcome.
Attachments
overview.png
overview.png (54.63 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: application type icons

#2 Post by Oberlus »

An eye instead gear/test tube for detection boost? Maybe just nothing, generic boost stat icon.
No idea what to use for influence boost. Something about individuals looking after a central figure.
A bigger "point", shaped to resemble an actor (individual, organisation) and not an object (planet, ship) circled by other smaller actors. But I really don't see what "point" could be here. A person icon feels wrong, anthropocentric, plus hard to put in a single icon several of them circcling a bigger, central one.
Or a bigger "actor" standing above others that look at him (like watching a party conference from the last row, with the politician looking at you, or from behind the politician, with the spectators looking at you). Again no idea how to conceal that in an icon. Maybe three filled circles like heads (from rear) in the bottom line, and one bigger, with points for eyes, standing a bit over the others. Or without eye points, but with open arms.
Well, just trying :D

labgnome
Juggernaut

#3 Post by labgnome »

Influence has a dedicated speech-bubble icon in the art FYI, which should make it visually distinctive. Aside from detection, fuel, supply, stockpile, in-empire ship speed also get boosts. You also have planetary defense, ship stealth, planetary stealth, and sensors off the top of my head. You may also want logos for governments and policies, maybe one should be a version of the Free Orion logo.

I must say I really like the style you have for them.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#4 Post by em3 »

Arguably, population, industry etc. boosts do not require to have the "boost" icon overlaid. It sounds like a legit assumption, that they are boost either way.

I mean, they could be simple cog, flask, little people etc.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

The Silent One
Graphics

#5 Post by The Silent One »

em3 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:47 am Arguably, population, industry etc. boosts do not require to have the "boost" icon overlaid. It sounds like a legit assumption, that they are boost either way.

I mean, they could be simple cog, flask, little people etc.
Right, thanks, I have actually already made alternative versions without the boost overlay. Update coming later this week.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One »

(More) application icons, some still WIP:
armor, shield, stealth, drives, fighters/drones, beam weapons, bombs, hulls
speed, targetting, detection, fuel, troops
planet offense/defense, planet shield, planet stealth, mines, terraforming, habitability
production, research, influence, population, stockpile, supply
policy, government, diplomacy, espionage
monsters, repair, galactic construction, logo, building, theory, generic boost
Attachments
overview.png
overview.png (68.1 KiB) Viewed 7073 times

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#7 Post by em3 »

My 2c: Beam weapons are actually direct weapons, as they include mass driver.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

labgnome
Juggernaut

#8 Post by labgnome »

Looks good, I really like them. One thought if this is going tobe for the tech tree, you might also want a building icon. We have icons for ship parts and policies and whatnot but not a general building icon.

Will these be just for the tech tree, or most of the icons? Because they would make a really nice addition.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#9 Post by The Silent One »

em wrote:My 2c: Beam weapons are actually direct weapons, as they include mass driver.
Oh, ok.
labgnome wrote:Will these be just for the tech tree, or most of the icons? Because they would make a really nice addition.
They're just for the tech tree (like in the mockup). There already is a generic building icon: 3rd from the right in the last row.

labgnome
Juggernaut

#10 Post by labgnome »

The Silent One wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:25 pm
labgnome wrote:Will these be just for the tech tree, or most of the icons? Because they would make a really nice addition.
They're just for the tech tree (like in the mockup). There already is a generic building icon: 3rd from the right in the last row.
My bad on the building one.

I do think they would be good throughout the game. Especially in the planet/system view. You have really good designs.

The Silent One
Graphics

#11 Post by The Silent One »

labgnome wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:05 pmI do think they would be good throughout the game. Especially in the planet/system view. You have really good designs.
Thanks, but I don't think the new icons would work there well, and the current icons are doing a good job if you ask me.

The Silent One
Graphics

#12 Post by The Silent One »

Update on the icons, might change one or two, otherwise mostly done I think. Anything obvious missing?
End of fifth line: species engineering, social control.
Attachments
overview.png
overview.png (216.24 KiB) Viewed 7000 times

The Silent One
Graphics

#13 Post by The Silent One »

Less edgy icons. Probably will rework population icons (no ideas here yet), crowns and wrench, otherwise finished.
Attachments
overview.png
overview.png (222.11 KiB) Viewed 6938 times

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#14 Post by Ophiuchus »

Both the edgy set and non-edgy are good :)
Probly the edgy is a bit too abstract, so I guess I prefer the non-edgy version.

One suggestion: the mines icon reminds me of a lot of other things (e.g. a star, a star-shaped medal...), maybe you can use the irregular shaped explosion from the beam weapons and put the dark circle in the middle.

And what is the intended use for galactic construction? Research category?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

The Silent One
Graphics

#15 Post by The Silent One »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 amOne suggestion: the mines icon reminds me of a lot of other things (e.g. a star, a star-shaped medal...), maybe you can use the irregular shaped explosion from the beam weapons and put the dark circle in the middle.
Thanks, I'll revise that one.

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 amAnd what is the intended use for galactic construction? Research category?
Category for starlane and planet construction, and solar modifications etc..