planet special icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: planet special icons

#61 Post by pd »

How many hundreds of Favicons can you easily differntiate at 16x16?
I'm not sure, none? Without having seen the icon at a larger size, they are mostly just blobs of color.

Smilies, favicons and OS icons are either extremly simplified things we do know and we are used to seeing(faces, folders, files, office stuff) or brand logos, which we also do know already from other sources and we have seen bigger(mostly more abstract shapes) or are simply letters/characters, which do read at those size, because we are so used to seeing them and they are made of crisp, distintive, simple shapes.

Have a look at this: Top line are some icons from my taskbar, 2nd are my special icons and 3rd are the previous ones.
[...] i mean the forms and shapes are distinct and easy to recognize.
That's exactly my point, although I use color to further improve this. Color actually creates distinct shapes on its own. If you look at my task bar icons, the style doen't seem so different to my special icons at this size. The airbrushy treatment is barely visible.

I believe my special icons are much more distinctive and easy to recognize than the previous ones(bottom row). Do you honestly believe it's the other way round?

Also, I know exactly what you are saying, but I believe it's not that easy with freeOrion. We simply are working with some pretty complex subjects here. So we can't use brand logos or letters/characters. We have to simplify things like techtonic instability unlike a notepad. Additionally, we are working for a sci-fi game. If we can't use shiny, glowy icons here, I don't know where else.

In the end, there is of course also an esthetic aspect. Even if usability goes first, we don't wan't to make an ugly game.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#62 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:Turns out that more fancy tooltips are possible already, so it won't be too difficult to add nicer custom formatting of them.
Great news! Are pictures possible, too?
Yes.
Uses 24x24 icon in 64x64 space, as the game only knows about one set of specials icons at present. I don't know why it's been mangled by rescaling to the same size it started, though.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#63 Post by pd »

Amazing! I'm going to commit the 64x64 icons to SVN today.

MirelSK
Space Krill

#64 Post by MirelSK »

And what if the planetary special icons would be seen only if I move mouse over the planet?
in v.3 RC-6 some icons are partialy behind a big planet
Born to think.

The Silent One
Graphics

#65 Post by The Silent One »

MirelSK wrote:And what if the planetary special icons would be seen only if I move mouse over the planet?
Why make it difficult to access an information that is an important criterium for colonization?
MirelSK wrote:in v.3 RC-6 some icons are partialy behind a big planet
Read the whole thread and you will notice that the position of the special icons is currently being debated. You're welcome to contribute your opinion where they should be put, but if you do please also give a reason why you think so.

Regarding the special icon tooltips, we should also add a short summary what the specials actually do, e.g.

Natural Tunnels
...long description...
Increases max population of the planet by 5.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

MirelSK
Space Krill

#66 Post by MirelSK »

The Silent One wrote:
MirelSK wrote:And what if the planetary special icons would be seen only if I move mouse over the planet?
Why make it difficult to access an information that is an important criterium for colonization?
It takes only a few second maximum to do it. And when I want to colonise a planet, I will think about it before I do it. So we could see the move over the planet picture as collecting of information about the planet.
Born to think.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#67 Post by pd »

And what if you would colonize a planet only if it has a certain special you are after? You would have to browse through all planets...

As Silent mentioned, this information should be obvious and not hidden.

Please make yourself familiar with the topic, before entering a discussion.
Regarding the special icon tooltips, we should also add a short summary what the specials actually do, e.g.
That's a good idea. I was proposing something similar for techs some time ago.

Geoff the Medio

#68 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The Silent One wrote:Regarding the special icon tooltips, we should also add a short summary what the specials actually do, e.g.

Natural Tunnels
...long description...
Increases max population of the planet by 5.
Feel free to add it to their descriptions in the stringtable, in a manner similar to the string GRO_HABITATION_DOMES_DESC

Geoff the Medio

#69 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:I'm going to commit the 64x64 icons to SVN today.
Could you provide them at 128x128 or higher as well? tzlaine apparently just rewrote the whole texture processing system, so the code-scaled versions might actually look decent now... The best way to decide this is probably to compare the two options directly, and this seems like a good case to consider, since 128 -> 64 is probably a different sort of texture scaling situation than 128 -> 24 or 128 -> 16 (both of which also should be tested in a few cases, obviously).

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#70 Post by pd »

Commited.

Post some pictures, please.

Geoff the Medio

#71 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#72 Post by eleazar »

I'm quite glad tooltips now support pictures. :)

But i'm still not especially pleased with the resizing of the icons. If it can be coded, i don't think any artist would complain about making icons at various sizes, and letting FO pick the appropriately sized one.

pd wrote:
How many hundreds of Favicons can you easily differentiate at 16x16?
I'm not sure, none? Without having seen the icon at a larger size, they are mostly just blobs of color.
I realize English is not your primary language, but these misunderstandings are preventing the discussion from being useful. If what i'm saying doesn't make sense, please give me the benefit of the doubt and look up some of the key words in a dictionary.
Differentiate means to "identify differences between (two or more things or people)." I'm not talking about knowing what the icons mean.

Automatically knowing what the icons means (without being taught by the tooltips) is impossible with any style and any remotely reasonable size due to the abstractness of these concepts. I don't know why you keep bringing it up. I make no claims that if my plan is followed players are more likely to correctly guess what an icon signifies. I claim that with a simpler, more graphic style players will find it easier to remember icons.

pd wrote:Have a look at this: Top line are some icons from my taskbar, 2nd are my special icons and 3rd are the previous ones.
eleazar wrote:[...] i mean the forms and shapes are distinct and easy to recognize.
That's exactly my point, although I use color to further improve this. Color actually creates distinct shapes on its own. If you look at my task bar icons, the style doen't seem so different to my special icons at this size. The airbrushy treatment is barely visible.
In the third row, I quickly modified Silent's icons below to better represent the style i'm supporting. The forth row of icons is provided to demonstrate that color, and value can be used without making the form of the icon harder to recognize.

Many of silent's icons which you used in the side-by-side comparison had rather low contrast, and thus were not nearly as distinct as they could have been. But, yes the air-brushy treatment is too visible and hinders the effectiveness of the icon. Colors can enhance things, but if you cram too many colors too close together they just blur.

Look at your crown, all the shadows and highlights have obscured the naturally strong silhouette. The sides blend into the grey background. With a simpler, less over-contrasty treatment the idea "crown" is communicated more quickly

Take the icon second from the right. I don't remember what in the world it means. But in the larger versions there are two little triangles on either side of the long line. One is totally invisible, and the other is seems to simply be a red spot on the planet. Why include them if they can't be seen?

Tunnels: You've applied enough glow that it looks like a star. The concept is supposed to be a cross-section of a planet with tunnels in it. The airbrushing obscures that meaning.

I'm not trying to rip you up here, but there's really no way to describe what's wrong without going into small details. Making good small icons isn't the same as making a good large piece of art.
pd wrote:Also, I know exactly what you are saying, but I believe it's not that easy with freeOrion. We simply are working with some pretty complex subjects here. So we can't use brand logos or letters/characters. We have to simplify things like techtonic instability unlike a notepad.
The complexity of the subjects is a strong reason for the use of a clean graphic style. Since we are teaching the player to recognize what are nearly arbitrary symbols, we should give them simple, clean, distinct symbols. "A green circle with an "X" through it = tunnels" is easier to catalog in the brain than remembering a more complex image.
pd wrote:Additionally, we are working for a sci-fi game. If we can't use shiny, glowy icons here, I don't know where else.
In the end, there is of course also an esthetic aspect. Even if usability goes first, we don't wan't to make an ugly game.
Is there even a question in your mind that usability should go first? Are players going to be more annoyed with the game if they can never remember what "Tectonic Instability" looks like, or if that icon is only moderately attractive? Presenting icons clearly should strongly outweigh any artist's desire to make things shiny.

However while usability is the primary goal, that doesn't mean we have to settle for ugly. IMHO it should be obvious that in all the cases the simpler (and probably quicker) approach i've shown produces more usable icons. You may have a subjective preference for one style or the other, but i find it very unlikely that the simpler ones would be consistently identified as "ugly."

Geoff the Medio

#73 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:Image
Look at your crown, all the shadows and highlights have obscured the naturally strong silhouette. The sides blend into the grey background. With a simpler, less over-contrasty treatment the idea "crown" is communicated more quickly

Take the icon second from the right. I don't remember what in the world it means. But in the larger versions there are two little triangles on either side of the long line. One is totally invisible, and the other is seems to simply be a red spot on the planet. Why include them if they can't be seen?

Tunnels: You've applied enough glow that it looks like a star. The concept is supposed to be a cross-section of a planet with tunnels in it. The airbrushing obscures that meaning.
eleazar makes some good points here... The details and (occasionally) basic concept of the icons are obscured by the glowiness when the icons are shown at that small size.

The Silent One
Graphics

#74 Post by The Silent One »

Since Gaia planets will now be specials, I've designed an icon for it:

In game:

24x24

64x64

128x128

Is it too hard to recognize?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#75 Post by pd »

Since Gaia planets will now be specials, I've designed an icon for it:
Could you please link me to the thread where this has been decided? Thanks.

I like the icons and have commited them. Good work, the clouds work really well for the idea.