Alien head design

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Skaro
Pupating Mass

Alien head design

#1 Post by Skaro »

I was clowning around in Max, so I decided to create a alien head.

Who knows, this guy might end up as a ambassador in Free Orion some day :roll: :lol:
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down. --Murphy's war laws

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte »

looks really nice. Mix of human and octopus?? :)
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Skaro
Pupating Mass

#3 Post by Skaro »

noelte wrote:looks really nice. Mix of human and octopus?? :)
Funny that you say that, the purple texture is actually recolored from a squid skin. :wink:
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down. --Murphy's war laws

Skaro
Pupating Mass

#4 Post by Skaro »

And here's some new stuff:

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

This is funny. I have done an aquatic alien head sculpt lately too:

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

@Skaro
I like the green one the best (the one with two eye stalks and sideways mouth). It looks the most unique, while the rest are mostly heads.

To be truly alien you have to include the body, otherwise if you just do the head, it might as well be humanoid.

Skaro
Pupating Mass

#7 Post by Skaro »

pd wrote:This is funny. I have done an aquatic alien head sculpt lately too:

Very nice, I bet you put quite a bit of work into that model.

I've only put 20 or so minutes into the lowpoly heads I made so far (hence why they don't really look all that great).
utilae wrote:@Skaro
I like the green one the best (the one with two eye stalks and sideways mouth). It looks the most unique, while the rest are mostly heads.

To be truly alien you have to include the body, otherwise if you just do the head, it might as well be humanoid.
I was just experimenting a bit with different setups. Any serious models would have about 40 times more polies in them.

I think that I might make a highpoly avian or insect next :idea:

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#8 Post by Sandlapper »

Nice work to both, Skaro and Pd!

Skaro, your green alien could easily be adapted to my race suggestion "The Norwana". Here are the first two lines from my description:

The Norwana, an aquatic species from the system Tiennafarina. Half octypus, half starfish in appearence, with five muscular, yet dexterious appendages.

A relatively close match, don't you think? The rest of the race desciption is in the race creation part of the "story" section, if you want to read it.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#9 Post by Zanzibar »

Hate to break it to you... but the Eaxaw were the original, worm-type aliens...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by pd »

The model is just a sketch. I have spend about an hour or so on it using mudbox. It's sculpted from a cube as a basemesh, so the topology sucks big time.

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#11 Post by Sandlapper »

Hate to break it to you... but the Eaxaw were the original, worm-type aliens...
I presume that's directed toward me; the Norwana are an aquatic starfish\octupus race, not a worm like race. Skaro's design could be adapted to either race. The bottom half, long individual apendage could obviously be associated with worm like, while the upper half, with five apendages is obviously starfish like.

Feyd
Space Krill

#12 Post by Feyd »

I think we must not do crazy aliens. We must think, how they use his organs, if it practise, have 2 or 20 eyes, and why have 20 eyes?? Cause a predator threated them when they werent evolved... We must think about the necessity of each thing that a alien had, why they have, 2 legs or 4, tail, why they have no eyes, all aliens will be humanoid? and carbon based? and whit multicolour bloods? red bloods is cause a oxidation, I think if you are a carbon based lifeform, all advanced bloods are reds. We must think in all details, is a Darwinian work!

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by utilae »

I Agree Feyd.

Though for now, these ones are for fun I guess. But I would like to see some serious thought go into the things made for this game. Though there doesn't have to be a reason for everything, but some kind of history.

What would be cool, is if someone went through the story board, picked out alien descriptions and made some models for them.