0.4 meter icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
MikkoM
Space Dragon

Re: Somewhat unrelated to the main topic

#31 Post by MikkoM »

Very nice icons Josh. Keep up the good work.
Josh wrote: Image
Shields/Defense

Shields/Defense
Is the idea behind the defence icon by the way that it is the icon for both the planetary orbitals and the planetary shield or has the defence icon more to do with ships? Now at least I understood from the 0.4 Design Pad that there will be separate meters for the planetary shield and the planetary orbitals, and there for I would at least assume that these meters also need two different icons. Isn`t this the case?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: 0.4 meter icons

#32 Post by pd »

Shield is in the middle, defense is at the right. Shield is an energy shield around a planet or ship. Defense(for planets) is a bunch of satellites.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#33 Post by MikkoM »

pd wrote:Shield is in the middle, defense is at the right. Shield is an energy shield around a planet or ship. Defense(for planets) is a bunch of satellites.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Josh
Graphics

You forgot one...

#34 Post by Josh »

How about these meters? They weren't on Geoff's wish list, but perhaps they were just overlooked.

Armor/Hit Points

Damage
Indicates a damaged component or number of damaged components. See this thread.

Experience

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#35 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There's currently a poorly-made (by me, from an existing image) icon being used to represent ship or fleet speed that would be good to update or replace... The edges and background alpha in particular need fixing.
Attachments
speed icon
speed icon
speed.png (7.09 KiB) Viewed 1887 times

Josh
Graphics

#36 Post by Josh »

Stuff like this helps, believe or not. Even if artists don't use it directly, it could be used as stock design or just chalked up as thumbnails.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#37 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Josh wrote:Stuff like this helps, believe or not. Even if artists don't use it directly, it could be used as stock design or just chalked up as thumbnails.
In case my post wasn't clear, I'm requesting a replacement icon be made for the one I posted. It's basic appearance works, I think, but at the very least it needs some cleaning up.

But to address your actual post, yes, given the number of times icons have been inspired by crude drawings or written descriptions, it's not hard to believe. Also, I've heard it said that artists (of any medium) are different from other people most importantly in the detail or quality of their imaginations. So, if I provide a crude shape or textual description, the visual artist could make from that a detailed image (if appropriate) or suitably moody colourful or shaded representation, or whatever is applicable to make it actually look good while conveying the same essential visual idea.