0.4 meter icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Tortanick
Creative Contributor

Re: Collection of Theory Icons

#16 Post by Tortanick »

Very nice collection, I like quite a lot of them :) but if I had too choose I'd say these two are my favourite

Detection

Stealth

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: Collection of Theory Icons

#17 Post by The Silent One »

My favourite ones are these:

(slight glitch on the top)

Very nice work, Josh. Oh, and if you should feel like replacing my attempt of the exodus monument with a better version, I certainly wouldn't mind.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Josh
Graphics

Re: 0.4 meter icons

#18 Post by Josh »

Thanks for moving the thread, whoever (I dunno, God?), I appreciate it. Okay, I decided to knock out two more before I give it a rest for the stealth and detection Icons, it sounds like you've got plenty to look at for now, and the defenses icon is feeling lonely...

I believe that this style most closely matches what is expected for the [meter] icons in freeorion, you may or may not agree. Below is Geoff's original request for meter icons, copied and pasted for everybody's edification.

Also, I'd like to add another set of icon requests: new meter icons. There are icons that are displayed next to metered values. Current meter icons are for things like food / farming, mining, research, population, health:

(ignore the numbers). As seen, they're used at at least two sizes.

v0.4 will require icons for:
Fuel
Supply (distribution to fleets, and exchange between planets)
Stealth (of mostly, ships, but most every object could have it)
Detection (ability to see through stealth... perhaps an eye or dish?)
Shields (on planets or ships)
Defense (planets, mostly orbital weapons, probably best if generic)
:idea:
P.S. Would a turret or sattelite be appropriate for defenses? I've discovered it's alot easier to ask annoying artist questions than go and actually make more mockups.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#19 Post by pd »

I've split the thread, but feel free to call me god :P

I've taken your icons a step further. Mainly increasing the contrast, changing some colors and making sure they read as good as possible at 25%, which is about the size the small icons are shown. Here is how they look in-game:

I consider those done for now. Some colors might change later to fit the meter bars. The only one missing is is defense, as mentioned.

For our case, satellites might be the best choice, but I imagine it to be hard to fit this into a tiny icon. Anyway, thanks again for your work so far Josh, it's amazing.

edit: Maybe it's possible to indicate a "net" of satellites somehow?

Josh
Graphics

Is it possible?

#20 Post by Josh »

I think so. Here's what I got.

Defense Icons

Marco

As difficult as it is to make a satellite or mine or other recognizable space object fit at such small sizes, I believe all these icons will work, for the most part, at 16x16. Don't quote me on that; they still lose significant detail and a heater shield would probably be easier to make recognizable. Taking underwater mines for inspiration, the last one on the list is my best shot at making it look as close as possible to a literal network of satellites.

here's a dingbat. It works pretty well at small sizes, and while we probably can't use it, this might be an approach to consider.

Edit:
I've added a satellite inspired by dingbat k, codenamed "polo".

Polo

I don't know why giving them codenames makes sense. It's probably best not to ask.

Josh
Graphics

Somewhat unrelated to the main topic

#21 Post by Josh »

New icons are available.

Shields/Defense

Shields/Defense

Minerals

The last item is completely unrelated to the main topic. Use it at your own peril.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Somewhat unrelated to the main topic

#22 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Josh wrote:Image
Shields/Defense
Could you tilt that shield a bit more towards the viewer, stick a freeorion circle-cross logo on it (subtle, like the trade icon coin) and tone down the lens flare? Also, make make the edges of the shield a bit (not too much) lightningy?

Josh
Graphics

I aim to please.

#23 Post by Josh »

I'm assuming that you intend to use this icon for some shocking and obscure purpose.

shocking

I think I got everything, even the lightning, though it will be very hard to see.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#24 Post by utilae »

I like the previous one because the angle showed the thickness of the armour and it was simpler as well.

Josh
Graphics

Sparkly

#25 Post by Josh »

Yes, but we all like sparkly things. His request actually makes perfect sense. Not to me, but maybe somebody else...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#26 Post by pd »

For preview purposes in the forum, it might be a good idea, to show future icons on a black background as it is in the game. Those icons look quite different on a bright background and a lot of the brighter values get lost. Otherwise, nice work as usual. I'll comment later in more detail.

Josh
Graphics

#27 Post by Josh »

I left the previous ones blank because it's easier to add the black background than to take it away. Here's one with black backgrounds.

You think it would be better if troops were represented as drop pods? The idea sort of dropped out of the sky if you know what I mean.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#28 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Josh wrote:You think it would be better if troops were represented as drop pods?
No, because troops can be stationed already on the surface of a planet to protect against drops by other empires. Also, there could be other methods of transferring troops to the surface from orbit besides drop pods.

Josh
Graphics

O good.

#29 Post by Josh »

O, good. I wasn't really looking forward to redoing the troop icon anyways. I already PM'd pd, but I was wondering if the defense icon has already been decided on yet. We can always do more, but not if it's just gonna be a waste of time.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#30 Post by pd »

I'm sorry for the delay, I've just commited those:

The new mining icon finally looks like some minerals! Good work.
Although I liked the shield icon with an actual shield inside, it just didn't work at a small resolution. I hope we'll be able to re-use it at a later point.
We can always do more, but not if it's just gonna be a waste of time.
I think we can consider those done for now. There is no need to put extra time in them.