Concept Art

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Josh
Graphics

Building Icons

#31 Post by Josh »

[color=#BF0000]tzlaine[/color] wrote:I was thinking those would look nice as iconified versions of those same sketches -- that is, they could become the detailed icons Tortanick suggests.
You mean like this?

I'm not putting names beside them because I want it to be obvious what they stand for without using words to give up the meaning.

Unrelated note:

Might make good wall paper, though I couldn't think of where else to put it.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

Re: Concept Art

#32 Post by Tortanick »

The radar is beautiful! :) and the icon style is spot on, but I think the Taj Mahal is too heavily based on a single real life palace and should be a more generic palace, perhaps in a futuristic style. For example Gallifrey from Doctor Who has a nice one building city (once you remove that ugly dome) that could make a nice palace. Obviously there's copyright but that only applies to the actual design, not the style.

As always feel free to disagree with me.

Josh
Graphics

#33 Post by Josh »

When it comes to palatial architecture, the Indians, Byzantines and Persians are really hard to beat, because the architecture is so delightfully epicurean and recognizable at the same time. I am a little disappointed that it doesn't have the special futuristic glamor that is signature of Sci-fi, and it's probably the first thing I'd fix to brush it up.

Or we could stick a big gold star on it and call it a day.

just one more thing:

Another building icon :)
can you guess where I got it from?

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#34 Post by Tortanick »

What's epicurean? and while being recognisable isn't a bad thing, that icon will be more recognisable as the Taj Mahal itself than general palatialness.

As for the new icon, I give up, where is it from?

Josh
Graphics

It was more of a suggestion

#35 Post by Josh »

Epicurean? I'm using it as a euphemism for hedonistic.

Gallifrey's "Palace" is too Wizard of Oz for me, I prefer something a little less ambiguous.

As for the icon, I thought it was obvious from the beginning of this thread: It's from the wormhole picture. In fact it is the wormhole itself. Go ahead and check again, I think it will be more obvious now :)

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#36 Post by Tortanick »

Ah, when you asked I started thinking of famous pictures, or pop-culture. No wonder I didn't get it.

Josh
Graphics

Ship Hardpoints

#37 Post by Josh »

Ship Hardpoints

I was inspired to draw them.
Maybe you'll want to use this later.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#38 Post by pd »

There won't be visible ship parts in space combat, nor will there be hardpoints AFAIK, but they could serve as ship part icon concepts.

General_Zaber
Space Kraken

#39 Post by General_Zaber »

Is that a Harpoon Gun down there? That's just awesome, the image of marines attaching ropes to them and gliding accross to an enemy ship fills my mind.
The enemy is retreating! As always, there is no cuteness about them. Dammit

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#40 Post by Tortanick »

Looks like an energy weapon to me, notice that the "harpoon" is hollow and never meets at the tip.

Josh
Graphics

#41 Post by Josh »

A harpoon? You have more imagination than me, I thought it was some sort of fancy energy weapon. The Canadian Air Force comes to mind now that you mention it.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#42 Post by Tortanick »

Hey Josh, good to see you around :)

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#43 Post by Impaler »

Josh you really nailed the Gyisache concept art in terms of it matching my mental image of what they would look like. Your point about their eye stalk/arms being rather bad as a way to manipulate and see at the same time is quite true but It was my desire that creatures have design flaws. You see evolution is a blind process that goes down all kinds of paths that ultimately result in "bad" designs, most bad designs lose but sometimes they win (sometimes for no better reason then being paired with a real winner). The Gyisache can't manipulate an object and see with that eye at the same time which seems like a debilitating handicap but they cope just as Humans cope with not being able to breath and drink water at the same time. Weird "flaws" can actually make a race design more exotic and well alien, I hope to see more of your work in the future.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Josh
Graphics

#44 Post by Josh »

Um... Your welcome. :mrgreen:

I will be attending the Gyisache in the more public Gyisache: Artwork thread from now on.

Right now, I have textures, left over from another project that I was using to build ships. It's greeble. Always useful.

Greeble 1

Greeble 2

Greeble 3

Greeble 4

Super Greeble Panel