Concept Art

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Josh
Graphics

Concept Art

#1 Post by Josh »

I wanted to try my hand at a little something less graphic, a little more conceptual. The game still needs icons, but this is the kind of work I'm more familiar with. I apologize for the very large file size (1.5MB) but I couldn't see a way around it. In the future If I post concept art, I will try to keep it smaller.

Edit:
I welcome suggestions and critiques to these pieces. Just keep in mind that this is not functional art for FreeOrion, and probably won't be used the way icons, ship models or stock photos would be. Otherwise peruse and critique to your heart's content.

Planetfall
800x600, 16bit color range.
Maybe I'm just lazy.

Wormhole
640x480, 8bit color range.
I hope that's what you meant by rim lights... :?
Last edited by Josh on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Concept Art

#2 Post by pd »

That's a nice moody piece. I'd like see more of those, maybe developed further, if you like.

In terms of composition the piece is missing depth and focus. It would help the image a lot if you would establish a foreground, a midground and a background - mainly on the land, but this could also be done in the sky with those ships/meteors.

You could indicate some landscape features in the foreground using just some rim lights, maybe some rough charaters looking into the sky in the very foreground, so the viewer can connect to the image?

I like your color choices.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Tortanick »

It is absolutely beautiful, I'd probably make the drop-pods/ships a bit bigger though, 2, 3 times larger at the most. I wouldn't worry about the file size, go for quality, cutting size is a lot easier than adding quality.

Pd, I wouldn't put any figures in this, I think its supposed to be the first landing on an uninhabited planet. Besides I connected to the image just fine :)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

Rim lights on those ships please :)

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#5 Post by marhawkman »

Surface details would be nice. But it is quite cool.
Computer programming is fun.

Josh
Graphics

Tweaking

#6 Post by Josh »

It's probably best not to go back in and edit them, of course I never listened to my better judgment.

Josh
Graphics

Gyisache

#7 Post by Josh »

Compliments to everyone who participated in the conceptualization of the Gyisache, here are the pains of your labors.

(very) approximately 1600x1200. 300-400kb

There are two more sheets that elaborate further on other designs, including hand weaponry and starships. I will update later.
Last edited by Josh on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by pd »

That looks quite promising. Nice work on exploring the leg muscles! One or two key sketches, that show the final(from your perspective) design would be very helpful and would provide a focus to the sheet(basically like the one in the upper left corner, but larger. I'm sure utilae will be impressed. I'm looking forward to see more :)

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by Tortanick »

Lovely, I don't suppose you can post an unscaled version could you? I want to see it in all its full sized glory.

Josh
Graphics

Sorry Tortanick

#10 Post by Josh »

Sorry Tortanick, Photobucket's limit seems to be about 800 pixels, I don't think it would let me if I wanted to.

Gyisache Sketch Blow-Up
resolution at 540x390 pixels, 8 bit color range (per channel)

I will merge this post later on with the rest of the (Gyisache) concepts once I'm done.

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by Tortanick »

Nice, but dose that spacesuit expose the eyeballs or is there something transparent I'm just seeing through

Josh
Graphics

#12 Post by Josh »

Yes, there is an eyepiece.

This was one of the many problems I ran into when designing the species. The finger/eye/arm configuration is just awkward for any practical application, and there were lots of times I wanted to throw it out for an eye stalk and two hands instead. But...

If you look really closely, you can make out a specular highlight in the upper left corner of the eye. That's coming from the lens you're looking for.

edit:
I don't think the forums are going to let me merge my posts. Therefore, here's the last one in the series.

Ships, Engine Blocks, Fighters Craft
599x500 pixels, grayscale/B&W

Technically, It says they are Gyisache starships, but quite frankly, they could be anybodies.

Josh
Graphics

OH SNAP

#13 Post by Josh »

Tortanick wrote:Lovely, I don't suppose you can post an unscaled version could you? I want to see it in all its full sized glory.
Me wrote:Sorry Tortanick, Photobucket's limit seems to be about 800 pixels, I don't think it would let me if I wanted to.
I was so wrong; I just had to reset the options. :shock:

Scroll back up to see the full blown version
You may have to hit the reload button on your browser to see the new and improved version

Tortanick
Creative Contributor

#14 Post by Tortanick »

Yay, thanks for that. It all looks lovely

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by utilae »

Excellent work Josh. I am very impressed. Thanks for your efforts.

I really like the sketches alot. The bigger render is awesome, especially the colour one. And the space ships are very awesome. I am liking the look of the space ships and will be interested to see there development, as well as variation in their type.
Josh wrote: This was one of the many problems I ran into when designing the species. The finger/eye/arm configuration is just awkward for any practical application, and there were lots of times I wanted to throw it out for an eye stalk and two hands instead. But...
In a way, the eye stalks may also be used as hands, as it kind of looks like fingers around their eyes, doesn't it. But we are keeping the eystalks, ok :D