Race and ships 3D

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Stanislav
Space Krill

Race and ships 3D

#1 Post by Stanislav » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:20 am

These are some of my older works. I am planing to make one race character and all ship models for that race. Tell me what do you think.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Race and ships 3D

#2 Post by pd » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:15 am

Hey, welcome to the project stanislav. That's some nice work. You seem to have a good foundation in design and modeling.

I'm not too fond of the bust, but some of the ships look really nice. My favorites are the not over detailed meshes, the sleeker airship- and submarine-looking ones.

Anyway, there's not much to say yet, as we are not concerned with actually creating 3d stuff yet - but we will be very soon! Have a look at the guidelines, if you haven't already.
We will most probably use normal mapped low resolution meshes - so high poly modeling will be necessary in most cases, which you obviously are capable of. You might want to look into the baking process, just in case this is new stuff for you.

I invite you to stay around and make yourself familiar with the project. See how things are working and maybe contribute to some other stuff as well, if you like. If you have questions, don't hesitate to contact me or just ask in the forum.

Stanislav
Space Krill

#3 Post by Stanislav » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:24 pm

I would like to create race portrait and all class ships meanwhile. Can you tell me how much polygons one ship can have and I can bake them too. I am really glad if I could participate. Basic idea about race is humanoid, some kind of psylon race. I will go trough guideline again and see details. Thanks. :D

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Sounds good. Feel free to browse the story forum, especially this thread if you are still undecided about a race. If you want to come up with your own, that's fine too of course.

I can't say much about polygon counts at this stage. We are in the very beginning of playing with the engine. And the polygon counts will depend on a lot of things. I'd say just keep it reasonable, maybe 1000-3000 tris depending on the size - !000 being a medium sized ship and 3000 being the largest.
You should avoid showing explicit weapons on the outside of the hull. You can however indicate some kind of functional external parts.
Also you should be a bit familiar with how ship design works in freeOrion. Please see the Ship Design part of the 0.4 Design Pad.

Btw, are you capable of UV- and texture-creation as well?
I'm looking forward to your work.

Stanislav
Space Krill

#5 Post by Stanislav » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:01 pm

New race suggestion. What do you think? I am working on ships right now but I like char modeling too.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:27 pm

What's the purpose of the golden net, around the head? How does he/she put it on? Is it firm? How does he move his head in this case?
Why the horns? The neck doesn't look like he could support any actions, involving the usage of them. The angle is rather unusual and disadvantageous as well.
Some indication of anatomy would be nice and would help the character a lot.
The solid chest piece looks very hindering. The character will have a hard time moving his arms.
Why is the lighting to harsh and overblown in the background, yet very soft and even on the character?

I realize this is WIP, so here are some things to take into account: There should be some variation in the texture, going from the body to the head. The same is true for the horns, variation from the base to the tip would be a good idea. Scratches make sense as well.

Nice gold shader, though :)

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#7 Post by Sandlapper » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:53 am

pd, did you consider it possible that the horns might be part of a head-dress ala a Viking head-dress with horns? It's also possible the chest piece is made of a pliable material and coloured gold.

I'm all for a critical eye towards a constructive end, but I think you could be a little more lenient until more info about the race\character is known. :)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by pd » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:29 am

I indeed did not consider this.

Stanislav didn't provide any info, but asked for critique - so I told him, what was going through my head.

There are scratches and dents on the chest piece, which made me believe it's solid.

Stanislav
Space Krill

#9 Post by Stanislav » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:28 am

No problem, just messing around until I finish fleet ships. This was just suggestion. I wanted to make some peaceful tall proud race. I could remove horns and just add some jedi cloak. I think it would look great.

shrinkshooter
Space Kraken

#10 Post by shrinkshooter » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:06 am

Not to be a killjoy, but you should probably avoid making human-like species. With a colossal number of stars out there, there are equally colossal diversities of species. This means yes, there are perhaps several species that look similar to humans, but by the numbers game a randomly selected intelligent species will not look anything like humans. Try making something as original as you can, and by that i mean something totally alien. For a good example you can check out the species of the Gormoshk provided by Kharagh (sp?). Other than that and what pd pointed out, your art is good; it's the logic that gets in the way.
Photobucket account for FreeOrion and List of Techs and Icons

[[[===LEAN, MEAN, PURPLE AND GREEN MACHINE===]]]

Flatline
Space Squid

#11 Post by Flatline » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:11 am

Just as a curiosity, Stanislav, what 3D software did you use? :)
The only difference between a suicide and a martyrdom is press coverage.
- Chuck Palahniuk (Survivor)

Ubuntu 7.10/Windows Vista/Windows XP (VMWare)/Windows NT 4 (VMWare) on Intel Centrino Duo T5500@1.66GHz with NVidia GeForce GO 7600

Stanislav
Space Krill

#12 Post by Stanislav » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:06 pm

It's Cinema 4D.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by pd » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:19 pm

Humanoid aliens are just as fine as any other IMO.

Josh
Graphics

#14 Post by Josh » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:11 am

Of course, the whole race thing isn't going to show up until much much later. I think pd already has something in mind and set up for the first 12 ship models, am I wrong?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by pd » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:33 am

I'm still undecided actually. I'd like to have two opposed design directions, though. Like sleek high tech <-> primitive and rudimentary or plant <-> metal. I'm still very open minded and will wait for your concepts and the other current tasks to get finished.