I'm making a fighter model for you all....

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
iamrobk
Space Dragon

I'm making a fighter model for you all....

#1 Post by iamrobk »

Really, it's nothing special cause I'm still pretty new to Maya, but I'm making one and IMO it looks ok, and it's a fighter so it'll be really small anyway. I'll post a pic later when it is done.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#2 Post by iamrobk »

Btw if you need any other 3D models, I'll be glad to help.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by Tyreth »

Great, keep us informed 8)

iamrobk
Space Dragon

The picture....

#4 Post by iamrobk »

Ok for one I know it looks sucky lol, but seeing as how it'll probably be scaled down a ton, I'm not worryied about that too much. Also, the picture is small. Sorry, I don't know how to make the picture larger in maya without it looking like crap. Thirdly, it ain't skinned yet because, well, I don't know howo to skin and texture things yet. Finally, I can send you .mb file if you want it, but I can probably figure out a way to convert it to whatever 3D image file you need it to be in.

Edit: If you want anything changed I'll be happy to change the model.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by Tyreth »

We're a while from needing the ship models, so I recommend you keep experimenting and learning, and by the time we're ready for them you should have some good skills.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#6 Post by iamrobk »

Yeah. Figured heh. I actually figured out how to use 3D Paint!! yay! :D

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by tzlaine »

Rob, you finally got registered. Heh. Good to see you.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#8 Post by iamrobk »

Do I know you.....? Your prolly just confusing me with someone else..... :?

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#9 Post by iamrobk »

Heh after looking at the road map, I better get better quick, seeing as how you guys want ship graphics in .3. Btw, are the ships gonna be small and such (like MOO3) or like the ones in Homeworld (bigger, but usually not as many)? Personally I would like a mix. Maybe a max of like 64 ships in a battle per side, so we could have some pretty good ship details, but it wouldn't be a huge number that would slow computers down a lot. Also, big ships like battleships should be HUGE! But this all probably belongs in another topic.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#10 Post by iamrobk »

Btw I learned how to skin things! Yay! Here is the skinned fighter (obviously not final, I was just messing around, but you can see the details of it a big clearer).

Edit: I'll describe what it is a bit. The blue part is the main cockpit and framem and all. The gold part is where your legs go when ya sit down, and where some more computer stuff and whatever would be. The yellow "spire" thing is like a sensor thing. The dark blue thing on top is where your head would go. The brown things are "wings". The 2 green things under the wings are like missle holders, and the 2 red "spires" close to the cockpit are laser things. The green thing under the ship could be either a big missle, or (what I think it is) a really big laser thing. You can see the top of the engine (it's like a medium blue) above the cockpit in the back.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by Tyreth »

Heh, 0.3 is still a number of months off, but we'll see how we go :)

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#12 Post by iamrobk »

So is there anything in particular you want me to model? Like should I try capitol ships, try to refine my fighter, what?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by Tyreth »

iamrobk wrote:So is there anything in particular you want me to model? Like should I try capitol ships, try to refine my fighter, what?
No, nothing in particular since we haven't worked out what we need yet. It's best for now for you to muck about privately until we know what we want. Then we'll be sure to advertise.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#14 Post by iamrobk »

Ok I'll start on just trying to make some random ships. I'll prolly post some of them here just so you can see how much I've progressed lol.