Galaxy Map

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
The Silent One
Graphics

#91 Post by The Silent One »

The Messier Nebula

Stars removed and smoothed. ... I love nebulae ... :)

NGC-1999

(bright are needs to be darkened, will you please do that, Eleazar?)

So, that should be enough... maybe I'll do a few more, eg. the hawk nebula. Depends if I find a beautiful image of it.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#92 Post by pd »

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#93 Post by eleazar »

I really like nebulae too :)

Currently the nebulae are take up the same amount of space no matter how many pixels they contain.
I'll add the big ones at 512x512 to keep things lean until the larger files actually produce larger nebulae.

The Silent One
Graphics

#94 Post by The Silent One »

Thanks for modifying the nebula, pd!

Here's
NGC-6751

and that should suffice for now.

The Silent One
Graphics

#95 Post by The Silent One »

Now that the nebulas can be shown in any size, I've bundled them into a zip which contains the original sizes (1600x1600 in most cases). We'll need to discuss about how large the individual nebulae are supposed to be.

You can get them here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/35713564/nebula.zip.html

Also I would like to know if there is an easy way to change the number of nebulae that are placed on the galaxy map?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#96 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The Silent One wrote:Also I would like to know if there is an easy way to change the number of nebulae that are placed on the galaxy map?
You can change the size of the galaxy...

eleazar

#97 Post by eleazar »

The Silent One wrote:Now that the nebulas can be shown in any size, I've bundled them into a zip which contains the original sizes (1600x1600 in most cases). We'll need to discuss about how large the individual nebulae are supposed to be.
512x512 is about right for the current size on the galaxy map with the current max zoom.

Or to put it another way, at max zoom nebulae should be 2x wider/taller than the pixel dimensions of the file. Since nebulae are fuzzy and semi-transparent, expansion of the pixels is barely noticeable— and thus IMHO a good trade for the increase in speed / decrease in file-size. (even if these benefits are minor.)

It could be argued that a closer zoom should be allowed or that nebulae should take up more space on the galaxy map. If either or both of these were implemented larger nebula images would be desired.

Having larger files on hand can help in these eventualities, but i see no reason to pursue either of these at this time.

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: Galaxy Map

#98 Post by The Silent One »

The helix nebula, the messier nebula, NGC-1999 (revised by pd) and NGC-6751 have not been added to SVN yet. Would you like me to improve them in some way or can they be included?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

eleazar

Re: Galaxy Map

#99 Post by eleazar »

The Silent One wrote:The helix nebula, the messier nebula, NGC-1999 (revised by pd) and NGC-6751 have not been added to SVN yet. Would you like me to improve them in some way or can they be included?
I don't believe i've looked at them yet. I haven't had much time for FO in the last few weeks, and even less when i had access to a screen with minimal color accuracy.

I'll make a note that these need to be looked at, and probably added.

Also i split off the posts on the topic of coloring supply lines because it's distinct enough to be dealt with separately.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Re:

#100 Post by Moriarty »

eleazar wrote::arrow: And speaking of the nebulae, their appearances would be improved if some would be randomly flipped horizontally or vertically.
Good idea. You could then rotate them by a random degree to give the impression of even more variety.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

Re: Re:

#101 Post by tzlaine »

Moriarty wrote:
eleazar wrote::arrow: And speaking of the nebulae, their appearances would be improved if some would be randomly flipped horizontally or vertically.
Good idea. You could then rotate them by a random degree to give the impression of even more variety.
This is a good idea. Like most good ideas posted on the forums, it is almost guaranteed to be forgotten. Please put things like this on the SourceForge.net feature request

eleazar

Re: Re:

#102 Post by eleazar »

tzlaine wrote:This is a good idea. Like most good ideas posted on the forums, it is almost guaranteed to be forgotten. Please put things like this on the SourceForge.net feature request
In this case, i was good and did so when i posted the idea: bug report. :)