Request: Planetary Background Scenes

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#31 Post by Ablaze »

Hehe.. stay tuned.. like I'm a guitar or something.

(walks off muttering..)
Now that's a lot funnier then boring ol' pie.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#32 Post by Tyreth »

Vue D'espirit? Very nice, you should be able to do some top notch stuff with that.

Just a reminder to everyone that all artwork you contribute to this project must be under some free license. This basically means that you give permission for anyone to modify, copy or use your image for free so long as they give you credit, and that anyone they give a copy to has the same rights/responsibilities.. And if you can offer the original file used to create the image, then that's even better :)

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#33 Post by Extremepumpkin »

See my other thread for the reply, (better then pasting it in both). Also. I found out my Vue 4 Pro is on backlog. :P god only knows when I'll get it. Hopefully soon.
Only after 14 hours of work, will you realize you can do it in 2.

Mateo1041
Space Krill

#34 Post by Mateo1041 »

I've had some fun with Terragen, and the program can also do alien-like landscapes. Not sure if you would be able to use anything like this, and this would be my first contribution. Let me know.

- Matt.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#35 Post by Tyreth »

Mateo1041, those are very beautiful, we may be able to use them. Are you happy contributing under the agreement I outlined above?

Also, I notice some text in the bottom right corner of some of those images - what is that?

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#36 Post by Zanzibar »

tyreth wrote:Vue D'espirit? Very nice, you should be able to do some top notch stuff with that.

Just a reminder to everyone that all artwork you contribute to this project must be under some free license. This basically means that you give permission for anyone to modify, copy or use your image for free so long as they give you credit, and that anyone they give a copy to has the same rights/responsibilities.. And if you can offer the original file used to create the image, then that's even better :)
I think that's what I've been doin'... and usin' a FREE program to generate the pictures to boot!! :) No sense in spendin' money if I don't gotta ;)

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#37 Post by Zanzibar »

Mateo - those are some great images!! Does terragen work with pov-ray?? I thought I saw somethin' about it on thier website, but can't be bothered to re-check. It would be truely awesome to merge your fore-grounds with the pov-ray generated galaxy backgrounds.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#38 Post by tzlaine »

Those are fantastic! Those are especially good "Ocean"-type images. Keep generating stuff like that, and we'll keep using it!

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#39 Post by Extremepumpkin »

I thought i should ask, what resolution should these renders be at? if you want, i can make them huge, and you can scale them down as needed.

anywoo. if you dont have any spesific want, I'll render them at 1600x1200 and you can scale them down or what have you.

Wee bit busy with work now, may slow down on the generation. Should i be leaving space for Buildings to be added (ALA moo2) or should i make it more natural with plantlife etc?

Mateo1041
Space Krill

#40 Post by Mateo1041 »

Glad they might be usable. :-) Terragen is a great program, and I believe can have invisible areas marked so as to combine it with something else. I just checked and it doesn't look like it can be exported...although utilities may exist out there.

And this can be rendered in any resolution. The ones I posted were originally 1024 x 768 (for my wallpaper)...and the text is my own. Alien landscapes could be done as well with or without water...in any color or "climate".

Let me know.

- Matt.

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#41 Post by Extremepumpkin »

E-on software wins the GoGamer award, for slow ass service (sorry for the swear, just frustrated to no end)

They're saying Christmas now.

Ho ho ho to you to e-on

>.<

EP

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#42 Post by Zanzibar »

Hey Mateo - on terragen's home website, it says it can output heightfields in 8 bit grey scale... if you convert that to PNG format... that can be used on pov-ray for the night scenes!! Get POV-Ray from this website, download my code, and play around with different terrains generated from terragen. See what you can come up with. Don't forget to get the galaxy include file found at Chris Colfax's website. Have fun messin' with it... and let's see what you can come up with for night scenes!! :D 'cause the great bit about pov-ray is... if you have the source code... you can give that to the dev's and they can output that at any resolution, and in whatever format (png, bmp, jpg, etc...) they desire!! So, there you go ;)

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#43 Post by Extremepumpkin »

I swiped the non pro version of Vue 4 off of Work. :D anywho. heres my test in Vue, looks pretty cool. much better then bryce. slightly touched up in PS7.

I dont have the 1600x1200 render yet. that'll be an overnighter..

Toodles.

EP

Mateo1041
Space Krill

#44 Post by Mateo1041 »

Looks good! And I know what you mean about rendering time. :-) My only comment would be that the white on the sea creatures is fairly bright.

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#45 Post by Extremepumpkin »

yeh, I was just testing out the different effects. it looks like Moo on acid ;)

OH NOS! the Evil whaley people are gunna get us! with they're bright spots and binary system!

(*hides behind an apple pie and Halle Barrie*)