About the ship models

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
That Guy
Dyson Forest

About the ship models

#1 Post by That Guy »

Ok, I just tried making one of my ships from one box object and it was a huge success. The model is almost the exact same, except that there are no hidden faces because it is one object (well, there are like 2 or 3). It also cut the polys by 2/3.

My question is, do you want multiple objects in a ship model or just one? Or does it matter?
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#2 Post by That Guy »

Can some one help me here? And I forgot what the priority is right now :oops: .

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by Tyreth »

What do you mean by multiple objects? Ultimately the programmers will want (I think) a single file containing the model, and just be able to load that in.

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by That Guy »

In 3D modelling, you can have multiple "objects" you can have cubes, spheres, cylinders, etc. I was just wondering if a ship model for a game had to be one object or not. Multiple objects are used in animations.

Anyways, ya, I am still a student, so I don't know what all these specifications and requirements are. You all might have to baby steps me for this..........

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by Tyreth »

How would you make a ship model from a single cube? I'm having trouble differentiating between a ship made from one object, and a ship made from several. Are you talking about grabbing a single cube and morphing it to the shape of a ship?

All we care is that it can be contained as a single entity in the game. In blender, for example, if I make a ship from multiple "objects", then there is an option to join them together as one. But even that's not necessary, I can just save the file and it is "one model".

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by That Guy »

Ok, that is all I needed to know. And I can make a ship from one object using the extrude and symettry(sp?) things.