Planet Obi-one Terraforming Sequence (jpg's)

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
drekmonger
Space Kraken

#16 Post by drekmonger »

omg those are cool.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#17 Post by Obiwan »

Glad you like them, Your compliments are encouraging. Nothing wrong with healthy criticism either.
Had another look at the 'The Wheel of Environmental Preference' info and saw I left out two other types of worlds

Toxic and Inferno

Toxic
New Irradiated

Impaler pointed out my Irradiated world looked inferno-ish. So I built a new Irradiated. Sorta hard fitting a galaxies worth of strange worlds into 10 recognizable catogories. i mean what does an irradiated world look like anyway? It could be a frozen wasteland bathed in solar radiation, or even an ocean world with radiactive mud and rocks at the bottom.
I settled for a high contrast and a glarie solarized look for lack of any other ideas.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#18 Post by Zanzibar »

Your new irradiated looks good to me :)

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by Impaler »

Yea I like it too, I think as long as its visualy distinct and apealing to the eye then it will be good.

Is it just me or is the Old Iradiated/now Inferno picture no longer being displayed?

Another idea, would lightning be cool to add to any of the environments? I think the toxic might be spiced up with a few lightining bolts, what do yall think?

Keep up the good work Obi!
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by tzlaine »

Again, these look fantastic!

Impaler is right, though, the old radiated "inferno" pic is gone. I think it can definitely still be used, though, so would you mind re-adding it, or adding it to a new post?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#21 Post by Tyreth »

If you leave the old inferno image in the art collaboration website, then we can use it later for anything else if we need it.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#22 Post by Obiwan »

Your right the old iradiated is now inferno. I think I renamed the jpg on my website. And I dont know how to edit my previous post so here it is anew.
Also a suggestion for building depiction

1. Depiction of Buildings
The artwork myself and others are producing of planet surfaces don’t really lend themselves to this. (But I really like them and hope they make it to the game.)
Moo2’s way is the only way I can see working at this stage. Where there is a controlled camera angle, field of view and controlled terrain so that building can be super imposed over the top.

Here’s my suggestion. Have two pictures on the colony screen,
1.the planet in its natural state. Maybe a thumbnail that can be clicked on by the player and enlarged for viewing pleasure.

2.A depiction of the type of colony, its state of development, atmosphere and general type of terrain. As illustrated.
This was rendered as a whole hence the nice shadow and lighting.
There are quite a few challanges and problems to this idea. So Mui, Tyreth ,Aquatine if you think the ideas worthwhile exploring ill post a new thread.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#23 Post by iamrobk »

The building looks cool! Maybe we could make a small animation for it (just the camera moving around it) and have it play when you make buildings and whatever. It would be cool if you made a ton of those, and maybe when you click on a planet, you would see an animation based no it's development. If it was mainly military, you'd see one like that fort thing, mainly industry, lots of factorys, etc.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#24 Post by Impaler »

I have started a Thread to discuss the use of Planet images (as oposed to the actualy discussion of the images themselves which is conducted here) at least this is how I belive Aquitaine would like it.

We can discuss the number, type and style of planet images that are needed, along with how development and Buildings will be displayed and atempt to come up with some cohesive plan (hopefully).
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#25 Post by Tyreth »

Impaler wrote:I have started a Thread to discuss the use of Planet images (as oposed to the actualy discussion of the images themselves which is conducted here) at least this is how I belive Aquitaine would like it.
Thread moved to brainstorming here. Enjoy:
http://www.artclusta.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=373

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

My 2 cents

#26 Post by guiguibaah »

Wow - those are very nice pictures. I've added the Toxic one to my desktop.

I believe (and this is just my opinion, I'm not a very good graphic artist) that Obi-wan's suggestion would be the best - that having a seperate image of the cities would be better, so as to incorporate the different camera angles and such. They could always be superimposed with a menu on top of the picture if selected (and the background greyscaled out).

As for animations, I feel they are nice, but keep them simple. Little ditties like the Starcraft unit icon or things like that, since they are space hoggers.

Nice work!
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Redbook
Space Floater

#27 Post by Redbook »

I have a somewhat divergent idea, I'm sorry if it musses up any schedules or creases any foreheads...

For all the attempts to create terrain to reflect planetary conditions, I always found it odd that we see so much "natural" landscape. I mean, as a space-travelling, star-crossing galatic empire I would expect the capitols at all levels (from planetary to imperial) to be a lot more cosmopolitan.

So perhaps the more artistically gifted members here could try depicting cities in Barren, Swamp, Terran, Oceanic, etc etc. environments, added with variety given to racial home environs. For example, an oceanic race's settlement on an oceanic planet would be a huge underwater city - like a deep undersea canyon filled with thousands of lights, but the human settlement on an oceanic planet would involve lots of biospheres sprawling across a shallow sea bed.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#28 Post by pd »

do you have any idea how much work this would be? you would need days(if not weeks) for just one image. we have 8 planet types, 3 variations of each(maybe even more in future) and if you want even racial variations this would mean we need 8 x 3 x 'amount of races' planetary background pictures...

besides this this it would be cool to show different development stages...

sure it would be cool, but i think nearly impossible for a poject like this.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Agree with PD

#29 Post by guiguibaah »

Myself I'm not a graphic artist - my attempts at planetary pictures would look at something a three year old would make using paint shop pro (with the sun smiling and all that) but what PD has to say makes sense.

Don't get me wrong - it would look real nice if each picture could show settlements that were race specific in them some way or another. No other program has done this that I am aware of. Unfortunately, the amount of pictures that would have to be generated and stored would not only tax the sanity of the graphic producers, it would be a ginourmous download.

I think what may end up occuring is that smaller, race specific city pictures will be available to look at in a seperate window. Kinda like what OBIWAN did with his city picture.

Maybe if the city pictures are real small then Redbook's idea could be implemented - but they maight end up too small to be recognised?

Anyhow
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Redbook
Space Floater

#30 Post by Redbook »

Yeah I must admit Obiwan is doing an excellent job... I just love those pics!

Hmmm. I have no idea how much time it would take to do what I suggested. :roll: