Planet Sprites

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
justinoperable
Space Krill

Planet Sprites

#1 Post by justinoperable »

Hey all, I made these planet sprites a long time ago. I don't know if they could potentially be of some use to. If needed I can provide the .xcf's or make some to different specifications.

http://opengameart.org/content/20-planet-sprites

I'm also potentially interested in helping with art but I'm not sure what I could do seeing as I'm strictly a 2d artist and much of that seems to be covered.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Planet Sprites

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Are the images released under the CC-BY-SA-3.0 license? Edit: Ah, I see that the linked page says they are available under the CC-BY 3.0, which is less restrictive than the CC-BY-SA, as far as I know. Just to be safe, would you have any objection to them being released under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 as well? /Edit

The lead art person, pd, is away at present, so you may not immediately get a very good answer, but there are some art tasks available for 2D listed on this page: http://freeorion.org/index.php/Graphics_Work

I'd also add a request for icons for all the various species that have been suggested on the story forum or elsewhere.

justinoperable
Space Krill

#3 Post by justinoperable »

CC By is less restrictive, it only requires attribution. I could dual license them, but I'm not sure I could quite imagine why anyone would choose the SA license considering even if they included the sprites under SA for their own CC BY SA project, they wouldn't be able to stop people from using my original cc by license. So in effect there'd be no way to enforce the share alike. In any case, I hope they can be put to use. There's even a little cyrstalline world which might work for the crystal aliens I read about.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

justinoperable wrote:...I'm not sure I could quite imagine why anyone would choose the SA license considering even if they included the sprites under SA for their own CC BY SA project, they wouldn't be able to stop people from using my original cc by license.
The point is that we can't practically maintain multiple different licenses for art in this project. You don't need to publicly advertise that you offer(ed) the images under CC BY SA, but we need you to release them to FreeOrion under CC BY SA so that they can be re-released with FreeOrion under the same license as the rest of the art.
So in effect there'd be no way to enforce the share alike.
Since you're already releasing under CC BY (non-SA) there'd be no need to enforce either, but actually enforcing the SA part of the license for your art isn't the point of the request.

justinoperable
Space Krill

#5 Post by justinoperable »

Alright, the licenses are compatible but if they have to be totally consistent I can release them under by sa. I just hope they're useful

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Thanks.

As for their usefulness, I'll wait for pd to comment. He might be interested in the textures used to produce the images, rather than the final renders you've posted.

justinoperable
Space Krill

#7 Post by justinoperable »

They're 2D paintings, not 3d textures spheres, so there aren't any textures to speak of.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by pd »

Thanks for the offer. I don't think we can put them to use though. There are quite a number of planet images, that went to the junkyard, because there's no place for them at this point.

In regards to artists we are certainly not covered in any way. For 2d artists, there's a lot to do, the major tasks being concept art(aliens, ships, environments, cities), planetary texture painting, combat background(space skyboxes) painting and there's always a need for icons(buildings).

Josh
Graphics

#9 Post by Josh »

Yep, those planets still look good pd.

Also, whatever happened to the sky boxes anyways? Last I remember, there was something about nebulae and some 2048x2048 pixels...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by pd »

Nothing happened. If you are talking about the latest potential contributor, then it's the same with him as with anybody else, they vanish.

Luckily I just got an intous 4(have been without a working tablet for the last 6 months) and will be able to contribute again.