- * 64x64 px transparent PNG --take advantage of the whole width and hight.
* Must have a strong silhouette so it can still be easily recognized when shrunk to 16x16. Very important.
* If you can tell what direction it is looking, it should look left.
* Colors: mostly white with light to medium greys. Because it will generally be displayed on dark grey or black, and will probably be sometimes colorized with an Empire's color.
* Homage is OK, straight duplication of somebody else's IP is not.
* Transparency: You should paint the creature on a transparent layer, not try to cut out the black background afterwards-- quicker, better results. No dark halo around the edge. Transparency shouldn't be binary-- the outside edge should be crisp, (unless is some fuzzy glowing thing), but also aliased.
* See data/art/icons/species for examples
I know i've been a way for a while, been busy, etc. etc.
I checked out the latest progress today, and was inspired to make more species icons. I uploaded the transparent PNGs to trunk.
Included are some of my favorites: Eaxaw, George, Scylior, Egassem, Dertherean, Chato'matou.
So now there are 9.