3d Model Artist

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Sarris
Krill Swarm

3d Model Artist

#1 Post by Sarris »

I was wondering if any of you have seen this guys work before? New Age Ship Yards

He has made many interesting ship sets, facilities, components, and races for another game named Space Empires IV. I don't know his email, but I think it is listed on his site.

Perhaps he could contribute to this project.

I myself only disovered it by accident and I will spread the word amoung the Space Empires IV fan base. There are a great many talented people related to that game, and who knows, perhaps some of them would be interested in helping out with this game.

Sarris
Krill Swarm

#2 Post by Sarris »

I went to one of his mod sites and he has a couple of images posted there of his latest work.

Sarris
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by Sarris »

I grabbed some more of his ship images, they are a bit smaller, but I think you will get the idea what this guy can do.

Xardas
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Xardas »

wow, I looked through and these artworks have an amazing quality.
I would die for to see some of them or other in similiar quality in freeorion.

On this page I ve also found this mail:

[email protected]

could be the creator??

Sarris
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by Sarris »

Thanks, that is the same email I have. He has another direct email address but I have not found it. I think it might be on his Star Trek Mod page. http://www.astmod.com or http://www.astmod.com/startrek/stm.htm I will look and if so email him this link. Hopefully he won't be upset at my posting his work here.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by Tyreth »

They look very nice, it would be good if he wanted to make art for FreeOrion.

I could field a pretty nasty looking fleet to conquer the galaxy with that artwork.

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#7 Post by That Guy »

Ya, his models are great, too great, I wonder how many polygons and how much time went into those...

But I do know one thing, it doesn't know his Star Trek...
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

Sarris
Krill Swarm

#8 Post by Sarris »

I would say he knows his Star Trek quite well. :) Given the fact that other than the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans, there isn't many ships from other races. He has done a great job in coming up with ships for those races.

You should join in one of those Cannon debates at Shrapnel Games. :)

He has also made the Naval ship set for that old 80's cartoon Starblazers or something. Those look cool.

All of his ships belong to sets that are used in Space Empires IV. :)

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#9 Post by That Guy »

Well, he might know how to make ships that look canon to federation design, but he can't even designate then right, he has a Nebula class as a frigate and Galaxy as Battlecruiser. The nebula is almost just a strong as a Galaxy, stronger if it has a weapon's pod on it. They are also about the same size, the nebula is just more compact. I do notice flaws in his models and textures, but they are nothing to be blamed about, and that isn't what I am getting at. Also, all ships newer then the Intrepid should have their nacelles behind the saucer section if you REALLY want to be canon...

Trust me, I know my Star Trek SHIPS. Sci Fi ships are my specialty.

Atrocities
Space Krill

#10 Post by Atrocities »

That Guy wrote:Well, he might know how to make ships that look canon to federation design, but he can't even designate then right, he has a Nebula class as a frigate and Galaxy as Battlecruiser. The nebula is almost just a strong as a Galaxy, stronger if it has a weapon's pod on it. They are also about the same size, the nebula is just more compact. I do notice flaws in his models and textures, but they are nothing to be blamed about, and that isn't what I am getting at. Also, all ships newer then the Intrepid should have their nacelles behind the saucer section if you REALLY want to be canon...

Trust me, I know my Star Trek SHIPS. Sci Fi ships are my specialty.
Hello.

This was an interesting email message from LS, so I felt I should address this.

The Federation ships, the Klingon ships, and the Romulan ships are not my models. They are models created by many talented 3d modeling artists who, for love of the game, created them for the Star Fleet Command series.

The designations are locked in by the limits of the game for which the images are being used. In order to get the ships, the ones everyone like, into the game, certain compromises had to be made. Ergo the class designations are not accurate.

The game (Space Empires IV by Malfador http://www.malfador.com and published by ShrapnelGames.com ) is not a star trek game.

All of the ship sets have read-me files that are as accurate as we can make them in giving credit to those who made the models.

The other sets, both Star Trek and Non Trek were created using a licenced version of a Japanese 3d modeling program named DOGA. The program is very easy to learn, I call it Lego 3d my self, and is a great tool for uses such as the one outlined at this site.

If you can read Japanese then you will have no problem with the program, if not, well.. you can always learn Japanese.

I am not a 3d modeler, nor do I wish to be one. The ship images, facilities, and components I have made for Space Empires IV I created out of love for the game as did many others.

I should note that I was approached about this site a long time ago and asked if I would do modeling work for it. I directed the person to DOGA, and Moray sites.

If you are learning 3d modeling, you have my sincere respect as that is by far one of the most complex things any one can choose to learn. The fact that you are self taught makes it even more impressive.

If any of my images or I can help with this project, just let me know, I would happy to lend a hand. However, from the looks of things, you already have a splendid artist or two involved.

Best of luck.
"All good things come to an end."

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#11 Post by That Guy »

Lol, we all know about making comprimises for what ppl think is gameplay ala MOO3...

But if I were you, I would have said that they were your models... :wink: . Anyways, the other models are great too, they just aren't Star Trek :cry: , yes, I am a trekkie, for the ships.

And thanks for the compliment, I was sorta self taught actually, I learned all the tricks by myself, but in school I have just finished a course in it, so I know all the offical stuff too now, I just was originally self taught.

I have one mortal enemy in 3D, meshsmooth :twisted: . I really need to find a good tutorial for that thing...

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#12 Post by Zanzibar »

here is a page with an english translation of DOGA... ain't google grand? :D

Atrocities
Space Krill

#13 Post by Atrocities »

If your interested in using DOGA, I recommend that you license it. The progam does have its flaws, but is easy to learn, and with some time easily mastered.

The program has a hi-ploy count, but can export in most formats.

The english version is ok but not as good as the japanese version. (Duh)

Also Todd Z. is very helpful on the English sites forums.
"All good things come to an end."